Gibson Brands Forums

Whatever Happened To Some New Van Halen?

Murph

Well Ed said that once Wolfgang Graduates from school this year that Van Halen will probably be in the studio making a new album.

I dunno...

Michael Anthony's backup vocals were a nice signature element to VH's sound....... If you get a chance listen to the tune In A Simple Rhyme... Great backup vocal work

I dunno...

Michael Anthony's backup vocals were a nice signature element to VH's sound....... If you get a chance listen to the tune In A Simple Rhyme... Great backup vocal work

I'll echo that sentiment. Michael Anthony gets ragged on a lot about the simple bass parts he plays (perhaps he's just realistic about the style of the songs and who's playing is the star attraction) but his backing vocals were a big part of the band's sound and style. I saw VH play twice on the "reunion" tough and, while Wolfie played fine, hearing his voice cracking "Come on, Dave, give me a break" was enough to make you wince.

Michael Anthony gets ragged on a lot about the simple bass parts he plays

You know, I've played a LOT of bass through the years, and sometimes, esp in a trio, simple is better.

Ditto on his voice, Rich.

Michael Anthony only played "simple" Bass Lines 'cause he was playing Exactly what EVH wanted him to play. On the Chickenfoot Album he does some nice moving bass line work. He's no "Lead Bass Player Shred Fest" like Billy Sheehan, but he's got just what a Bass Player needs. Solid Bass Lines that Lock In With The Drummer. He's a lot like dusty Hill, if you ask me.

EVH's kid is not nearly good enough to be on stage in such a capacity. All the stuff I can find on Youtube with him in the band shows he Can Not Lock In With The Drummer. The fact that EVH would rather have his Kid there instead of a Pro puts Van Halen right back in the Garage Band category.

In my opinion, Eddie Van Halen was one of the most Influential Flashes in the Pan the world has ever seen.

I'd love to hear some new Van Halen. -I caught them on tour maybe 3 or 4 summers ago. They still got it. Unfortunately, I think there are too many big egos in that band for it to ever work like it used to. I'll just sit here and listen to 5150 and Fair Warning and reminisce.

He lost part of it due to cancer...he still smokes....idiot.

he has said that he doesn't believe smoking was a cause/contributing factor. rather, he thinks the metal picks he always chewed on were responsible.

and yes, he is an idiot. And a jerk from everything I read.

their last studio album was enough for me. terrible at best. eddie had wanted to fire Michael Anthony for a long time. On the last tour with Sammy, Ed wanted to replace Anthony but Hagar refused to tour without him.

At this point who cares? Ed can't play like he used to and DLR's voice sucks.

I get mad at EVH for the same reason I get mad at Jimmy Page: Huge talent who hasn't done anything meaningful in years.

I have said this before and its true in this case....

Musicians, ie...EVH, Page, Macca, The Stones...etc

They only have so many rabbits to pull from their hats....Once there time has

come and gone, its gone...Very rarely is this rule ever broken.

Archived