Gibson Brands Forums

What do I need for a band?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I concluded long ago that the "best" bass player was not necessarily the best at wiggling his or her hands over the neck, but the one who could work best with the drummer to maintain a good, solid rhythm section. If they speed (as I have a horrid tendency to do as a bassist when I'm not thinking about it), it's gonna be a problem.

They need to think like a bassist rather than as a second-rate lead guitarist. If they think the right way, and can do the basics, the fancier stuff will come in its own time. Even if it doesn't, a person who can think like a bassist is better than a person who can't stop thinking like a guitarist and buys a bass to fit in... Most of us can do both if we want to, but...

As for a PA...

There are quite a few decent inexpensive new outfits with an amp/mixer and 10-12" speakers for $300 and less that would work quite well enough for a 50-100 seat saloon or coffee house. Mikes are always something that are under-rated - a bad habit of my own. Good cords are important. Mike stands... And don't forget something to carry sufficient electricity to the PA and/or amps.

In the olden days we pretty much hadda have our own light rigs, too, but that can be done fairly inexpensively. As in, nailing together some stuff to hold floods. OTOH, don't forget it also would require "juice" to operate.

And yeah, whoever said not to forget that you're there to entertain is 100 percent right on. I've a buddy who was on the road for years. Good enough bass player for nearly anyplace, exceptional country/pop singer, funnier than doo-doo on the mike and friendly with the audience. I call myself a guitar player-vocalist; he calls himself an entertainer. Guess which of us has made more money playing music?

m

but really find a bassist you'll be glad you did.

Honestly, we thought about it, and for now, we are gonna try it out without a bassist, see how things go. I think I am going to pick up a bass soon, so we will see how that works out but I'm not sure yet.

But PA is essential

Most Peavey P.A. gear is now Chinese and sounds like it. Mackie isn't Mackie anymore either.

Carvin is my choice for American built P.A, and monitor gear.

And my bass rig when I play bass.

Most Peavey P.A. gear is now Chinese and sounds like it. Mackie isn't Mackie anymore either.

Carvin is my choice for American built P.A' date=' and monitor gear.

And my bass rig when I play bass.[/quote']

Do you use their speakers? I have heard mixed reviews on their speakers and stuff. For 679 bucks, I can get more than what I need. And made in the US of A? Can't beat that with a stick.

I like it

Do you use their speakers? I have heard mixed reviews on their speakers and stuff.

Yep.

You'll always hear mixed reviews about speakers, hell some people love Celestion, some hate em.

Our drummer owns some Mexican built JBL's. Drivers are made out of jelly......

Yep.

You'll always hear mixed reviews about speakers' date=' hell some people love Celestion, some hate em.

Our drummer owns some Mexican built JBL's. Drivers are made out of jelly......

[/quote']

Quality of their mics? It comes with two, and I believe they make their own... they good? Or should I just get SM58s?

I think their mics are imported, I've never used one. I've only used SM58's since the '70's. I did have one of the old white Peavey mics back (way back) years ago.

Eminence builds Carvin speakers in the U.S.A.

I think their mics are imported' date=' I've never used one. I've only used SM58's since the '70's. I did have one of the old white Peavey mics back (way back) years ago.

Eminence builds Carvin speakers in the U.S.A.[/quote']

I think that's the way to go. I could always sell those, or find one that doesn't come with mics, etc.

BTW, I know I am asking a ton of questions, just let me know when it gets annoying, but in your avatar, is that how you have your mic, if you use it on your amp?

Yeah, a PA is the central nervous system of any band, you need it more than a Powerful Guitar Amp. In a perfect world, the singer would own the PA and have it all dialed in. But this isn't a perfect world, is it? In the world of Small Venues and Home Practice Space, whoever owns the PA is the Band Leader. Do yourself a favor now, get the PA and be the Band. Then wield the power wisely, and you could have a working Band in a couple short years.

Oh Yeah, perseverance! Keep At It. But you seem tho have that part down [biggrin]

Yeah' date=' a PA is the central nervous system of any band, you need it more than a Powerful Guitar Amp. In a perfect world, the singer would own the PA and have it all dialed in. But this isn't a perfect world, is it? In the world of Small Venues and Home Practice Space, whoever owns the PA is the Band Leader. Do yourself a favor now, get the PA and be the Band. Then wield the power wisely, and you could have a working Band in a couple short years.

Oh Yeah, perseverance! Keep At It. But you seem tho have that part down [biggrin

I guess since I will have to be filling in vocal duties, I am gonna buy it. The upside is that I could then get some nice smaller amps, mic those babies up, and have a blast!

It's gonna be hard work, but I think I will be able to pull it off

Thanks guys

A mixing board and a recorder to go with the PA.

The mixing board so you can tune each mic and speaker to balance the sound stage.

A recorder to record your set for after action review.

I have been looking at getting one of the handheld recorders. Any recommendations on ease of use and sound quality? I have heard pretty good thing about Zoom products, not sure which model though

I dunno, but at this point I'm not sure but what I'd try to get a PA with a stereo out of the mixer and run it through a computer with recording software...

Just a thought - but I'm not at all sure it may not be the better device. A little netbook is quite inexpensive nowadays and fits rather well even in some gig bags. <grin>

m

*brooklyn accent*

I'm shakin ova hee. [biggrin]

Give me another 5 weeks of practice[biggrin]

Actually all the recording we have been doing over the last 3 months has really cleaned up my chops pretty well. I know I'll never be the player I was in my late teen and early twenties, but it's something to go after.

Fred

If you are gonna sing, invest in some vocal lessons. if possible.... I did the Seth Riggs vocal technique, and I never hurt my voice.

Duane...

What the devil do you mean you'll not be the player you were in your teens and 20s?

Honestly, I think I'm far, far better. I can't jump up and down as I once did for three or four hours <grin> playing rock, but guitar technique? Better. Just not the same as what's being done in rock today.

m

Duane...

What the devil do you mean you'll not be the player you were in your teens and 20s?

Honestly' date=' I think I'm far, far better. I can't jump up and down as I once did for three or four hours <grin> playing rock, but guitar technique? Better. Just not the same as what's being done in rock today.

m

[/quote']

I'm only about 70% of what I used to be... When you don't play at all for about 15 years, you just don't get it all back.... But I do sing better now.

I dunno...

I'll bet you a nickel that you're smoother when you aren't thinking about what you're playing...

m

I could use the nickel[biggrin]

I think in terms of coming up with leads, and emulating another players playing style, I've gotten a bit better. But over all chops, the 19 year old duane v, would have smoked the 46 year old dude off the stage.

Can you imagine, what we MIGHT have been like, if we'd had all the "help" there is available, NOW?! When I think of all the time

I spent, ruining records, 'cause I put the needle, in the same place, over and over, trying to learn those leads! LOL!

Back to the original subject: It might be a bit "early?" for this, but "Dynamics!" Learning to play, along side each other,

and the vocalist, so that ALL parts can be not only heard, but clearly distinguished. I.E. not everyone playing louder and

louder, so THEY can be heard, first and foremost. The PA should be the loudest and clearest "instrument" on stage! I

can't emphasize that, enough. It's the single hardest thing, I'm STILL dealing with, when playing with others....here!

It can (truly) be the difference, between good and Great, all other things (talent and musical integrity) being equal.

Without wanting to sound like a "Prima donna" here...I have, on ocassion, even gone so far, as to unplug, and sit out,

a rehearsal or gig, until they've modified their volume(s), to a less than deafening roar. And, these are people who

SHOULD know better! It's just leftover '60's "balls to the wall" volume...bad habits, that's all.

;>b

So, you might as well learn "Dynamics," and practice them, from the "get go," instead of trying to unlearn bad habits, later!

Just a thought...

CB

CB

I look back at the olden days....

Basically I just wanted to play stuff solo fingerstyle with some jazz chords tossed in. So basically somehow that's where my head always pretty much as been.

In ways, I s'pose, that fits better in the "acoustic" section. At least sometimes it seems that way.

But I know that I can see stuff now that adds some ideas... I have the computer to record what I'm doing so I can play with stuff to try to make it less "boring" as a lotta solo acts end up being...

OTOH... I tend to see it more as an acceleration of what I was already wanting to do.

m

Archived