Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Gal to see you ended up getting that Custom. I saw your other thread asking if it was real.

That thing is pretty rough but I like the way it looks. It's a pretty rockin SG haha. If it were mine I wouldn't even worry about restoring it unless something needed fixing. Anyways that things got some serious mojo.

Yeah. Unlike most people I know, I admit my very first criteria for gas is the look of the guitar. I don't need a 3hb guitar. But I really can imagine me with the white custom. Go figure. :)

Besides, though it's an excellent idea, I couldn't use the rotary pot. [rolleyes]

Cosmitron was reading your posts and i notice many people think of 3 humbucker guitars a certain way, but to me it just like my friend has a 12 cylinder jag. i think it to many for a car, he loves it, says he wishes it had 14. Different strokes for different folks....When i first saw a sg 3 i said to much, over the top all these damn pickups. But when i played one, i was hooked.I passed on my first one on advice from a friend..big mistake.

Now the sg 3 may not be all things to all people as many guitars are not. The sg 3 may not be a good stage guitar as it is heavy to my standards, and its not for shredding its neck is fat, and i have large hands. And of course the rotary switch may be difficult for stage, but not a deal breaker.

What it is (as well as the custom) is a incredible blues and rock guitar. A class A studio guitar. You can get so much variety with the 3 pickups it just amazing..When i first bought it i played for a week with no distortion, but just on the edge of clean break up...The ''57'' pickups are great. They again can be bright, but overall good pickups. All i would say is to try one, even if you have to make a long drive.

I also own a les paul vintage mahogney studio(whew) and whats always turned me off was the percieved volume, or power loss in the middle position. I wanted full power both pickups...The 3 pickup system seems to have them wired so there is no power loss, so each position adds something rather then take it away.

The less expensive sg 3 faded has the 490t pickups which are more in your face, little bit of a rough edge like peter townsted sound, but they can be tamed down with amp and tone controls..

Also, tim that custom is smoking hot, i really like the way that looks..

Cosmitron i see some nice guitars on craigs list all over the world...

Maybe take a look there, at least you can inspect and try, not like ebay where you have to basically take a persons word and history when you make a purchase.

my dawg stop by and say hello sometime....

later tom

Whazzup everybody?

Finally got to play my 6 string again after I had a few accidental falls hurting my back again. Man it felt great. I had the chance to crank up my Marshall. Man the sense of power you get pushing 60 watts of class A thru a half stack. I think my ears are still ringing. (Oh, that's my tinnitus acting up again)

Marshall + SG = Rock n Roll [thumbup]

Keep on Rockin Brothers & Sisters!

Rewd.

Rew i didn't notice her...lol

But i figured someone might mention her..

hey that vos sg i posted here looks real mint...I really like that axe dawg...I still get the itch, i like to play different guitars i guess...Normally the 3 way switch on these doesn't move me, but the vos combined with condition....real nice...

later dawg

Hey Tom, What's up?

Well I think it's back to what was said before. The VOS guitars are great guitars. They sell for $4000 new.

I paid $1350 for my SG-3 new. So the Vos guitar costs nearly 3 times as much as my SG-3. I too prefer the 6 way chicken head switch over the 3 way switch. There is only one feature I wish was on the SG-3. I prefer ebony fingerboards but rosewood works well if taken care of properly and a slimmer neck would be nice. All in all I think our SG-3's are a way better bang for the buck. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Peace,

Rewd

hey dawg you rockstar whats up ?

hey i was looking for something and notice on page 6 of this thread the website finally posted (at some time) the larger picture of my sg 3 that i had tried to blow up for some time..

wanted to let you know in case you wanted to check it out....It is one fine blues and rock guitar.....

later dawg

Great thread! Love the pictures of the SG-3s! I just picked up a NOS 2008 Faded SG Special 3 pickup in black and I have had three SG customs in the past, a 1969 walnut, a 1987 white and a 1992 67 RI. I got the fever for having another 3 pickup SG in my life again.

2450870640054428040S600x600Q85.jpg

To the guys that have used the 6 way chicken switch for a while now, did you find it difficult to get used to the rotary switch? Can you switch it fast enough after getting used to it? I certainly like the idea of being able to get all of those pickup combinations.

To mduke22 with the single coil SG-3 standard, those look like the humbucking routes to me.

media1.jpg

You should be able to drop the new guard with three 'buckers right in there if im looking at the picture right, lol.

My experience with the switch is very good. I have to admit that I don't do a tremendous alot of switching while playing. My favorite positions are bridge, middle and middle bridge. The way it is set up I can easily go from bridge to neck bridge or quickly switch to neck position. The slowest position for me to find is bridge middle. It's really not that slow. It's because I don't tend to use that position as much.

The rotary switch works well for me also...And i also use the neck /bridge, bridge, and bridge/ middle alot...

My switch is set up like this, which seems to be different from the information Gibson provided.

Position 6 is bridge/neck, bridge, bridge/middle, middle, neck/middle, neck. The bridge is a 57 classic plus so it has a little more punch...

Now if i had my way with gibson i make it three push/pull volumes for each pickup....Then you could engage all three at one rock the house real hard....

heres the link from when gibson sold these new...You tube also has one by gibson, and several others...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG3-Electric-Guitar?sku=512601

Dawg and Tom, thanks for the input about the switch. I am getting my thoughts together about it. Push pull pots are a good idea, I once had one on a three pickup guitar that switched the middle pickup in and out and the three way switch was set up like a normal 2 pickup model. This way, I could get any combination I wanted. Putting the the toggle in the middle and turning on the middle would give me all 3. I could also get the middle one by itself by turning down the other two pickups and switching it in.

That cherry SG-3 is beutiful! It's gonna be a bidding war on that one, I think. I had it saved in my watch list, great minds think alike!