Gibson Brands Forums

The Best Drummer Ever ??

SGSpecialguy

I think the drummer that started the issue of who the "best drummer ever" that played Sharp Dressed Man had the best arm movement with the sticks. But he needed a much larger gold suit coat so that his arms wouldn't keep hitting his head. Having watched Peart play his over 5 min. solo with my mouth open most of that time, he was pretty awesome. His drum kit is incredible. However, IMO the best drummer has to be Bonham because he played to some of the most awesome rock jams ever with Zep. He was one wild guy. RIP

I like to hear what some actual drummers have to say on this subject.

I wonder if they get into arguments about "so and so" has talent but plays with no soul? Lol.

I have gigged as a drummer and I am a song writer so I have some say in this. My favorite drummers tend to be ones that play to the song. Top two of all time are

1. Levon Helm - Probably the best pocket player in rock history. Check out his work on Before the Flood.

2. Steve Shelly - Crazy, athletic drum beats mixed with killer dynamics. His work on Sonic Youth's Sister and Goo are amazing.

Honorable mention to John Bonham (greatest rock drummer, ever. That half time shuffle on "Fool In the Rain" is sick) and Wilco's Glenn Kotche (most textured and sonically interesting drummer in rock).

Don't get me wrong, I love the flashy acrobatics of cats like Keith Moon, but I would never want them in my band. Moonie fit the Who. Can't see him playing with anyone else.

Peart would certainly be at the top of my list' date=' but he'd give the nod to Buddy Rich. Peart himself has said that he can't do some of things that Rich did, although I thought he held his own at the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert...

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Blech!

Sorry, Peart is one of the best rock drummer, but he swings like a dead monkey and has *no* business playing big band material.

I like to hear what some actual drummers have to say on this subject.

I wonder if they get into arguments about "so and so" has talent but plays with no soul? Lol.

I played drums in bands from 1968 to 1980' date=' there is no definitive answer as to who is the best drummer, Louis Bellson was one of the best and the first to use a double bass. Ginger Baker is good but I doubt he would consider himself the best, but then any musician who thinks of himself as the "best" is missing the point of why we play.

When I played drum's I practiced for two to four hours each day, and then played five nights a week. My practice routine was to go thru every rudimentary exercise, paradiddles double paradiddles, flams, rolls etc. on every drum, cymbals rim, you name it. Doing paradiddles and double parradiddles with my feet while doing rolls with my hands, in all time signatures, while not holding my breath. That is the key to drumming, breath control, most self taught players approach playing like they are swimming under water, take a deep breath and hold it, play like heck until your knuckles turn white. Fatigue is the result, and then you fail at your basic job which is to maintain a beat, keep time, add dynamics to the sound of the band...I never cared much about solo's, I did them, I enjoyed them, but mostly they are just a opportunity for lazy guitar players to take a beer break while the drummer does all the work..

[biggrin

...I never cared much about solo's' date=' I did them, I enjoyed them, but mostly they are just a opportunity for lazy guitar players to take a beer break while the drummer does all the work..[/quote']

Quote of the day. Right on, brother.

Spending time on both the drum riser and the front of the stage taught me a lot about being a good musician &, most importantly, a team player.

Archived