Gibson Brands Forums

I HATE The (F...ing) Beatles, and why!

charlie brown

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Metal is a style of "Rock" that evolved out of "Psychedelic Rock" and "Blues Rock" Heavy metal isn't "Rock n Roll"

So you say' date=' and by the way, who made you the expert on what is Rock and Roll and what isn't. I'm SICK AND TIRED of genres[angry']

My nature is to categorize stuff too... But I think in ways pop music for the past century or so has a horrid tendency not to lend itself easily to the sort of categorization one might do with species of insects, for example.

I've done the old Bessie Smith "Nobody knows you when you're down and out" for over 45 years. Clapton did it what, in the 90s in public? If Clapton did it, does it change from being a 20s "blues" (albeit not the 12-bar variety) to being soft rock? I dunno. Where's the line between rock and blues and country blues with a drummer? What's Knopfler's "Sultans of Swing," especially the extended versions? I personally can't figure a label.

Frankly I've kinda become convinced that the lines today are so blurred with a century-old history of recording and crossover influences that labeling much of any "popular" music just doesn't work. Anglophones have pushed the envelope beginning with swing and then jazz and rock and country across several oceans.

It's kinda popular nowadays to draw a big red line when the Beatles "arrived," but the stuff played on the "Rock 'n' roll" radio stations and tv shows in the late 50s and early 60s had a wild variation in style and concept. You could go from borderline jazz to borderline opera in Roy Orbison to rockabilly to doowop to surf instrumentals to "soul."

In fact, I've almost gotten to the point I don't like to use the term "rock." How 'bout Mama Cass doing the 20s "Dream a little dream of me?"

Ditto the term "Blues." Is "Gimme a pigfoot" a 12-bar three chord progression? "Stormy Monday?" Is anything with a bridge? What of "Mood Indigo?"

Once we started publishing first sheet music and then recorded music, I think the dam burst on easy labeling.

m

HellboundGreaser reminds me of one of those sad souls who only treats his misery by spreading his misery and negativity and contrary nature to others. And he thinks we are all morons because we don't see things his way. I wish he would be on his way to hell already, but in the meantime, I don't don't care what he thinks.

Yeah being new to the forum he thinks all his thoughts are new and fresh and none of these things have been discussed before.

Whats a little disturbing is his condescending attitude towards members and their opinions.

He can hear you! How bout a little courtesy for the new guy and you give him some forum etiquette tips via a pm? ;)

HellboundGreaser reminds me of one of those sad souls who only treats his misery by spreading his misery and negativity and contrary nature to others. And he thinks we are all morons because we don't see things his way. I wish he would be on his way to hell already, but in the meantime, I don't don't care what he thinks.
Talk about opinionated. I suggest not being so hot headed over such silly business.

The Beatles may have changed music forever, but if you compare them to the stuff that's around nowadays... well... it's really child's play. Just my opinion. :-

Pink Floyd has never been my thing either...

From the retro era (actually a bit later) I still prefer Black Sabbath, Lynyard Skynard and Rainbow.

Talk about opinionated. I suggest not being so hot headed over such silly business.

I suggest you stop carrying a Chip on your shoulder, then acting like whoever knocks it off lacks self control. If you can't take the retort, keep out of the debate.

Archived