Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Great to see the Customer Service folks posting in the Lounge about how Elvis made them want to play guitar' date=' but nobody can answer a simple question like "will I get the guitar I ordered?"[/quote']

This right here. I don't like not knowing whether or not I will get the guitar I ordered.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that sentiment, and there's a degree of it in my thoughts too. But we've got to remember where Gibson is at right now. Recovering from a devastating flood that wiped out entire production facilities, presumably some product in the works and probably infrastructure and administration resources (files, computers, etc. etc.). They very possibly don't know themselves exactly what will happen with the production of these yet. A sense of that was conveyed to me by my GC Salesman when I ordered, in that they were hoping for 8/31 delivery, but there was no guarantee there would be any delivery. I was told they expected X number of guitars, and because of when I ordered I knew I was under the initial expected allotment, but was also told they may not even get that many. I think the answers really just aren't there yet guys. We need to be patient on this one. I'm sure as the end of August approaches, answers will begin to be given, possibly sooner.

Yeah...I'd count on at least 2-3 months...and, if it's sooner, Great!

Everyone here is speculating, and frustrating themselves, because of it.

We started this frenzy, anyway. They simply announced the production

of a new "limited edition," model. Gibson is, obviously, going to get into

production, as soon as they possibly can...they're losing millions...being

in their situation. Believe me, they WANT to get back to producing, and

selling!

Besides...It's not like most of us here, don't have a guitar (or many)

to play, in the meantime. ;>)

So, as excited as I am, about getting my "Gold Top," I'm more than willing

to wait, for them to be done "right!"

CB

I am excited about my order, I ordered the Honeyburst. I was in my local GC today and in the vintage roon they had a 56 ri used that the original owner put in a deep freezer to get the finish to check and it caused these horrible cracks in the finish (dum bass) the guitar tech said that in a while the entire finish will start falling off in chunks and they still want $2200 for the thing.

When I first saw this on the Gibson site, I had an attack of nostalgia.

My first electric was a '50's gold top, which my parents bought me used after a year of lessons. It came with a brown fitted case and a Danelectro tube amp. They paid $150 for the set. I was about 14 at the time.

I remember how heavy it was! That's one reason why I traded it in on an SG a few years later after I started earning my own money.

The new '50's Tribute Gold Top is indentical in appearance to my old instrument, soap bars and all. I don't think mine had the top hat knobs though, but my memory could be off on that.

The new one is chambered and probably wouldn't be as heavy, but I wonder if it would sound the same?

The price is hard to resist, but I hope the quality and tone would be there. Many other Lesters are VERY expensive compared to this.

I think people are spreading B.S. to try and get people to cancel their orders. The finish looks good to me.

However, I'm having more of a problem with the body on those goldtop pictures posted. Are they 5 pieces?....I've got a problem with that.... [biggrin]

I think people are spreading B.S. ...

Apparently its ALL B.S. - from the first post right to the last.

If someone has some factual information (hint hint - Customer Service types, are you reading this thread?), this might be a good place to share it.

Time to let the guitars speak for their own quality, playability, and workmanship.

We won't know ANY of that, until we get them, or at least try them out, prior to purchase.

All the rest is pure speculation, and/or (unneeded) worry, from those that don't have one

...IMHO. Those, that DO have them, seem to like them, just fine! It's been entertaining,

though, going through the motions. ;>)

CB

I think people are spreading B.S. to try and get people to cancel their orders. The finish looks good to me.

It's working. The lack of info from Gibson and the proliferation of BS from everyone else has got me looking at the used market. If I find something good I'll cancel my order. It's been a month and a half since the flood. There is no excuse Gibson not issueing some kind of estimate for when they will resume production. Thier "we don't have to tell you ****' date=' you'll get it when we send it" attitude will only fly for so long. Is my frustration showing? [blink

David

"O ye, of little faith!" LOL! Maybe those, aren't that interested, or committed, to this new model, after all?

More of an "impulse" purchase? Gibson has said, when things will ship, as best they know now. Some

just don't like what they heard, maybe? (Smile)

CB

"O ye' date=' of little faith!" LOL! Maybe those, aren't that interested, or committed, to this new model, after all?

More of an "impulse" purchase? Gibson has said, when things will ship, as best they know now. Some

just don't like what they heard, maybe? (Smile)

CB[/quote']

I must have missed where Gibson said when they would ship. Enlighten me please. I'm not trying to be a smart ***, but I missed any official Gibson info on resuming production of any guitars. Thanks

If you will simply call them, or e-mail, they will tell you, As Best They Can, given what they are going through,

What and When they'll ship! You all are acting like spoiled brats, who didn't get their toys, on time! Imagine,

(if you can), what it must be like, for Gibson...at this point! Having to rebuild their factory, probably scrap hundreds of

thousands of dollars worth, of "almost finished" guitars, that were in the shop, much less all the wood they lost,

and machinery! Damage to the building, that may take months, to repair, properly! And, in the meantime, losing

millions, in sales, because of this disaster. Have a little compassion, for the makers of the guitar(s) you say you love!

CB

You all are acting like spoiled brats' date=' who didn't get their toys, on time! Imagine,

(if you can), what it must be like, for Gibson...at this point!

CB[/quote']

Actually they are just toys and it is not spoiled to expect a straight answer on when to expect them. I have great compassion for the workers that don't have paychecks coming in and those who were killed or left homeless in the flood but those poor Gibson USA owners are undoubtedly heavily insured, intelligent businessmen who ,within days of the flooding subsiding, evaluated the damage, formed the most efficient plan for rebuilding thier plant and resuming production and (after 6 weeks) have a very good idea of when that will likely happen.

So save the "don't ask questions just love and trust our beloved Gibson execs in thier time of loss". Gibson seems to be a compassionate and honorable business but still a business.

Also, your self righteousness and condescension toward those of us who dare ask a legitimate question is out of line.

David

If wanting a straight answer about when I am to expect something I purchased makes me a spoiled brat; then so be it. I agree with cowgard, Gibson is heavily insured and I doubt are hurting financially at this time. I have called and emailed Guitar Center and all I am getting is the run around and no straight answer; so simply asking isn't working.

Actually they are just toys and it is not spoiled to expect a straight answer on when to expect them. I have great compassion for the workers that don't have paychecks coming in and those who were killed or left homeless in the flood but those poor Gibson USA owners are undoubtedly heavily insured' date=' intelligent businessmen who ,within days of the flooding subsiding, evaluated the damage, formed the most efficient plan for rebuilding thier plant and resuming production and (after 6 weeks) have a very good idea of when that will likely happen.

So [b']save the "don't ask questions just love and trust our beloved Gibson execs in thier time of loss". [/b]Gibson seems to be a compassionate and honorable business but still a business.

Also, your self righteousness and condescension toward those of us who dare ask a legitimate question is out of line.

David

Did you call, or write them...or, are you waiting, for your "straight answers," Here?

And, I'm certainly no more "Self-Rightous," than you are, David! So, Lighten up!

It IS a business, and they will get that business back in order....first! So they can

make the guitars we love, and want, ASAP. I'm quite sure, that is their focus, now...

whether or not, it meets your/our timetable, or not. And, being insured, doesn't

mean they'll get everything they need, right away. Some things, just take more time,

than we'd like.

CB

Charlie

I didn't figure they want to get calls or emails from everyone of the thousands interested in a Gibson Guitar but I do check thier Website daily for any news or updates and have emailed my dealer to no avail. I'll lighten up if you will. LOL Fair enough? David

I'll lighten up if you will. Fair enough? David

Hey, I'm cool/fine. And, admittedly, I'd love to know too, when and

what will ship. But, they'll let us know, on here, or on their web page,

I'm sure...eventually. LOL! Otherwise, we'll just have to keep calling

or e-mailing, and get what we can, that way. I just think they have a

LOT on their plates, right now...you know?

CB

I called Gibson a couple of days ago.The CSR I spoke with said the Nashville Factory was still closed. She had no idea when they will start making guitars again.

That's because the poor thing that has to answer the phone can't get an answer either.

Somebody there is working out a production schedule, I'm certain. They're just not sharing the information with those of us who want to buy their product.

Seems a curious way of doing business to me...

I called Gibson a couple of days ago.The CSR I spoke with said the Nashville Factory was still closed. She had no idea when they will start making guitars again.

I'm not surprised they are still closed but I am surprised that they have no idea yet.:-

David

Archived