Gibson Brands Forums

World Cup...why?

deepblue

I disagree wholeheartedly.

My family has been involved in the game since I was a child.

FYI Tens of Thousands of families across America love soccer.

Sorry it's not as popular as football (which I love dearly) and not as endearing as America's game (baseball' date=' which I love and have been involved with on the youth level for four years in a row now).

While soccer may not be woven into the fabric of this nation like other sports, there are youth and adult teams across this nation playing nearly every day and every weekend.

As for it being rammed down our throats.

Not so.

Turn the channel. There's plenty of other sports you can watch. Better yet, take up golf.[/quote']

I agree with what you are saying Cali, but when it gets to the Adult/Professional level it just doesn't have the fan base that Ping Pong has. Not here in the US anyway.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im with Deep on this one!

I HATE football... it sucks... I have been on the nasty end of it too many times!!

The English are POOR losers too.... Excuses then more excuses before and after matches even when they win!

I may be Scottish but at least we know and except were sh!t!

Regards

+1 [biggrin] many pints of beer shall be consumed this saturday [biggrin]

I must admit I'm looking forward to the evening of the 18th.

A whole bunch of our friends are gathering in the basement of our local North-African bar/bistro (Cafe Numidie, if you're in the neighbourhood) where we will be watching England Vs Algeria.

Half of our group will be French with an odd assortment making up the remainder. The barman and chef, good friends of ours, are both from Algeria (which was a none-too-happy-to-be-a-French-colony) so we are anticipating an entertaining evening. The football is just a good excuse for some lighthearted leg-pulling...

I just will choose not t watch it and do more constructive things this weekend.....haha can't post that on here..it's in the rules lmao

constructive? as i said theres nothing wrong with playing with ur balls [biggrin]

The English are POOR losers too.... Excuses then more excuses before and after matches even when they win!

I may be Scottish but at least we know and except were sh!t!

LOL!

I couldn't agree more' date=' Flight.

I'm Scottish too and we haven't managed to qualify for 32 years!

The problem the English have is that they support genuinely a [u']good[/u] team and expect to win all the time. If they lose then they gripe.

We Scots, on the other hand, are a genuinely bad team and don't expect to win. If, by some miracle, we do then we're happy.

It's a question of expectations!

LOL!

I couldn't agree more' date=' Flight.

I'm Scottish too and we haven't managed to qualify for 32 years!

The problem the English have is that they support genuinely a [u']good[/u] team and expect to win all the time. If they lose then they gripe.

We Scots, on the other hand, are a genuinely bad team and don't expect to win. If, by some miracle, we do then we're happy.

It's a question of expectations!

One things for sure Pippy.... We never loose in the mele in the car park outside! [biggrin]

NFL style "football" has little to do with feet. The ball is carried or thrown and the only time feet are used, with the exception of the extra point, is to kick the ball to the other side. Soccer on the other hand is all about using the feet to move the ball and score. Soccer is more football than the NFL style game.

Grimey!

You folks in the UK sure are a conflicted lot.

I'm predicting the Americans give ya' a good shellacking.

That'll give ya'll something to complain about.

It's not like we haven't beat you before, although it's been 60 years in World Cup play when Joe Gaetjens scored the miracle goal and the USA won the match 1-0.

It'll be a great match none-the-less.[-(

NFL style "football" has little to do with feet. The ball is carried or thrown and the only time feet are used' date=' with the exception of the extra point, is to kick the ball to the other side. Soccer on the other hand is all about using the feet to move the ball and score. Soccer is more football than the NFL style game.[/quote']

I always wondered why people in the US use Soccer when they speak about football.

Don't we still have some of Wembley's goalposts somewhere? (That'll teach them to pinch the 'Destiny Stone').

LOL!

You boys really ought to give that turf back too. That new stuff at Wembley is rubbish.

Like I said over in the Acoustic Forum, had it not been for a certain ex-gooner Frenchman cheating Robbie Keane and the rest of the boys from their rightful place amongst the elite football playing nations, I'd have the Irish tricolour waving proudly from my car instead of the cross of St George.

Errm...

You boys really ought to give that turf back too. That new stuff at Wembley is rubbish.

.... Excuses then more excuses before and after matches even when they win!...

LOL!

I'm saying nothing!

[confused]

Most American's' date=' including myself, don't give a crap about soccer or the world cup for that matter. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[/quote']

Not caring about it is one thing but most Americans who don't like soccer make a very big deal about telling everyone that they hate it. What's up with that. If you don't like it, just ignore it. The rest of us will enjoy the heck out of it.

Oh' date=' but I am....watching sports, any sports bores me to tears.[/quote']

You and I can spend the most fruitful four weeks out of anyone in the forum by improving our guitar playing!

Ha!

Archived