Gibson Brands Forums

smoke free

craigh

I don't smoke but what is the big deal if a guitar came from a smoker. Many musicians smoke. If you had the chance to get a Keith Richard owned guitar would you say no?

Craig

From Keef' id be more worried about a contact high.

Once that smell get's in, it NEVER get's out!

Not only will the guitar reak of smoke, but it will actually cause your house or anything else it comes in contact with to smell like smoke. My uncle used to have a vintage '59 that was previously owned by a heavy smoker, and even though he smoked himself, he couldn't stand the smell of it, and it actually made his house (or more specifacally the room that he kept it in) reak even worse, which is one of the main reasons he sold it.

If you ever buy one you'll understand and it's weird i've gigged guitars in bars for years and they smell like cigarettes and booze which doesn't really bother me, but after storage in a heavy smokers home they reek and it's not that they smell like cigarette's they smell like an old ashtray. The only thing worse is old guitar cases that somebody has tried to clean with chemical cleaners than you get a really strange combination of astray and mothballs or ???

It can get pretty harsh I bought a great looking old Lifton pink poodle case a few years back that I can't even take inside the house it has a strange smoke and urine mixed with chemical smell I had it commercially cleaned and while better it still stinks the cleaners said it just needed to air out for a while so it's been in the garage for three years maybe in a few more decades it will be ok but damn it looks good. #-o

If you ever buy one you'll understand and it's weird i've gigged guitars in bars for years and they smell like cigarettes and booze which doesn't really bother me' date=' but after storage in a heavy smokers home they reek and it's not that they smell like cigarette's they smell like an old ashtray. The only thing worse is old guitar cases that somebody has tried to clean with chemical cleaners than you get a really strange combination of astray and mothballs or ???

It can get pretty harsh I bought a great looking old Lifton pink poodle case a few years back that I can't even take inside the house it has a strange smoke and urine mixed with chemical smell I had it commercially cleaned and while better it still stinks the cleaners said it just needed to air out for a while so it's been in the garage for three years maybe in a few more decades it will be ok but damn it looks good. :)

[/quote']+1.

The worse part is, once it's out of the house, the "old ashtray" smell still lingers!:(

Every time I go to my uncle's house I can still smell it, and the guitar has been gone for almost 7 years!

I don't care either way. Most gigs I play are in smokey bars so that kinda comes with the territory. I mean, I'd pass if it was covered in tar and ashes, but if the previous owner smoked, that's no biggie for me.

My J-45 smelled awful when I got it. Fortunately, most of it was in the awful cardboard case it came with, so after throwing the case out and leaving the guitar exposed for a few days, it smells quite neutral.

Don't let them hear me say it on the acoustic board, but the worst smell now is the rosewood.

DSC00459-3.jpg

i smoke, i play all high end gibsons and none of them reak, and none of mine smell. but then again, i don't blow the smoke all over my guitar, and i don't smoke while i play. i smoke outside my house to prevent my house from smelling like an ashtray, then i come in and play, or reward myself after a long day of practice/long gig night. personally, i think the people who don't smoke might find the smell revolting, i on the other hand don't really notice it.

you can put the open case out side on a sunny day for few hours. ive done it with a few that stunk. the guitars never seemed to smell as bad as the case.the guitar i dont know how you can fix that.

Okay...

I smoke, but funny thing, I've never had anybody tell me, "Gee, your guitar smells bad."

Frankly I'm more concerned by far about the potential damage to an electric's pots and switches from an outdoor gig than I am by any kinda smell and, as has been noted, if you play out a lot the guitar ain't gonna smell new as if it just came from the factory.

I dunno. Odd thing is that any vintage guitar that's been played "out" is going to have been exposed to tobacco smoke. Some will have been exposed to various "scents" worn by intent or by accident by both male and female performers and that stuff can get yuckie too.

It's pretty popular nowadays to complain about tobacco smoke, but... personally I find a new "smokeless" restaurant or bar more objectionable for the smell of stale foods and various cleaners that likely are more toxic than tobacco anyway.

m

I don't smoke but what is the big deal if a guitar came from a smoker. Many musicians smoke. If you had the chance to get a Keith Richard owned guitar would you say no?

Craig

For those of who never smoked, nor came from a smoking environment, a guitar might just as well have spent 20 years in my septic tank. The smell of tobacco smoke, the stickiness and yellowing of tar, that tingly feeling you get in your fingers from handling nicotine fouled equipment, especially if it is stale old tobacco smoke is absolutely putrid, and untenable. If we acquire a smoked in, on, or around guitar, our first order of business is to get the stink out.

That is what the 'big deal' is.

Keith Richards guitar? couldn't care less, unless'n I could flip it for a fat profit... but it would stay out in the garage until sold.

a little odor is ok, but I have a guitar that was a gift from a dear friend who smokes about three packs a day and never opens a window, I had to scrape the nicotine off the surface, clean it with lighter fluid, and still, five years later, when I change strings I pull crap out of the fretboard....and it still smells...but it is ok, I think it's a preservative....

Archived