Gibson Brands Forums

My "New" guitar...and a bittersweet story...

heymisterk

First, the guitar:

IMG_1141.jpg

A 1964, Kalamazoo-made Epiphone Bard 12-string...

IMG_1143.jpg

FT112. You can almost make out "Union Made" at the bottom left.

IMG_1146.jpg

Solid Eastern Spruce top; mahogany back and sides. Lots of finish checking and play wear, but still sounds fantastic.

IMG_1144.jpg

Has the original Kluson tuners. I didn't take a pic of the back of the headstock, but it is stamped with a "2"! No idea what for!

IMG_1144.jpg

Okay, the story in brief...

My mom gave me this guitar yesterday. She bought the guitar used right out of college (the year she met my dad) in 1969 at a local music shop. She gave up a trip to the mountains to pay for it, and said she didn't remember how much it was, but that it was "expensive." But playing it sold her.

She has owned it ever since, mostly playing it every Sunday at church in the guitar choir. My mom plays LOTS of instruments...Organ and piano for one church; guitar and bass for another; hammered dulcimer at various gigs. She's got the best ear I have ever known. A couple of years ago, it underwent some major work: new frets, repaired a big crack, and a new tailpiece, if I remember correctly.

She also is stage 4 cancer, and while she has survived FOUR bouts with cancer in various parts of her body, it has taken its toll on her.

Most recently, she had a tumor removed from her left arm. The tumor is gone, but the scar tissue has left some nerve damage. As a result, she has limited use in her left arm...which means, sadly, that forming chords on a guitar is impossible.

It is hoped that she will regain sensation in her arm; in the meantime, she told me that I should have the guitar because I first learned how to thump out my first couple chords on this guitar as a kid. From there, I was forever a guitar player. I have this guitar - and my mom - to thank.

Thanks for reading!

Nice, and may God bless you.

I lost my Dad about 5 years ago, and not a day goes by that I don't miss him.

If indeed, she falls into the final days, do yourself a favor and sit by her side playing that guitar to her. I'm convinced they can hear and reason until the last minute.

Again, God bless you and your family.

A few of us are privileged to receive something that had become part of a parent or friend; a few of us are privileged to pass such nearly-living useful things to yet another generation.

In a sense you're lucky, my friend. Speaking as an older person whether I like it or even feel it in ways, I do know that passing forward that guitar may mean more to your mother than even to you, regardless of the tough but human circumstances.

m

Thank you to all who wrote. You are all so very kind, and I am reminded of the wonderful humanity present in this forum. My mom is clearly one tough cookie, and she tells me she can still play a mean bass since it only requires the dexterity of one or two fingers on her bad left hand to play the basic bass lines. Watch out, Paul McCartney!

Once I get the guitar set up today, I will try to post a brief YouTube vid of me playing it...it's such a wonderful sounding guitar.

Archived