Gibson Brands Forums

Inspirations! Who is/ are your fave Guitar Hero/ Inspirations?

therookie_123

In No Particular Order;

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Angus Young

B.B King

Jimi Hendricks (kinda)

Rory Gallagher

Billy Gibbons

Most of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Guitarists prior to the crash, may they be at rest

Eric Johnson

I'd be remissed if I didn't mention my guitar teacher since he's an influence on my guitar playing; Shan Arsenault

Pete Townshend

There's more but you get the picture.

Angus Young, Jack White, B.B. King, T Bone Walker, Lightning Hopkins. I mostly look up to old blues rock and roll guitar players. Sometimes I'll find guitar players from the 30's to late 60's i've never heard before and it'll blow my mind. lol

Jack White- he does crazy stuff, he isn't for everyone. I love his stuff, and he is probably my biggest influence for everything from The White Stripes, to The Raconteurs (my favorite) to The Dead Weather. I love it, he is versatile while still maintaining his same sound by incorporating it in. That, and he just goes insane on stage :-

Stevie Ray Vaughan- he is my aspiration to get to that level of skill, his guitar tones are outstanding. I try to write some stuff like him, but in no way does it sound the same. A great guitarist.

Tony Iommi- his riffs were sick, simply put.

Dave Grohl- the first time I heard Foo Fighters, my world was turned upside down. I loved his sound, the light verse, going into the heavy chorus, such a change, where it will almost hit you over the head. Biggest influence on my songwriting, great guy.

:-k

Brian Aubert- another influence on songwriting. He has a weird *** voice, but I take some stuff from their song writing and song style. (BTWm he's the guitarist for Silversun Pickups)

My first thought was...

Gee, everybody here is young and I've never heard much, if at all, of most of the folks they're mentioning.

Then...

Yeah, I think some has to do with "age," but when I started picking there was far less visual mass communication available and even the "heroes" of any style were mostly something heard on the radio, recordings and perhaps seen from half a mile away at a concert.

Add to that geography and lifestyle beyond pickin' and even playing for money, and I've a hunch a lotta folks my age may have heard guitarists that piqued their interest and influenced their playing, but probably not to the degree of people even a decade younger.

The pickers influencing me the most in a technical sense in my first several years of playing were folkies/bluesies/rockers/bluegrassers, etc., seen in dimly-lit coffee houses, in the laundromat near the college campus...

m

I think I draw a lot from Tim Sult from Clutch for the groove....i just love Clutch and their riffs...he's no virtuoso by any means but that cat can write some riffs!!!

I am a Jack White fan in his guitar playing style...i dunno if my stuff sounds anything like his stuff but I look for that groove....

Buckethead is always an influence on my playing in general....i try not to sound just like him of course but people who know BH can hear some influence in my riffs...definitely not the solos!!! [cool]

Archived