Gibson Brands Forums

Les Pauls: Solid vs Chambered

matt6l6

Hey Kids, I've got two Les Paul Standards in the arsenal and now that I'm 41 they are really starting to affect my shoulder and back. I've been contemplating parting with some of my gear and picking up one of these chambered LP's. I'm wondering what kind of difference in tone I should expect. I've been asking around and getting varied answers...from "no difference" to "a chambered LP will never sound as good as a solid LP". What do you forum folks think???

Why did you post this in the lounge?

The only solid LPs Gibson makes are the historic reissues. Even though they're solid, they can weigh as little as 8 - 8.5 lbs and even less in some cases. Chambered LPs can weigh as little as 7 lbs. Chambered LPs can and often do sound different but whether or not they'll ever sound as good as the solid ones is your call. I have one that's chambered and it's just as good.

For me it was, instantly, a question of balance.

I found the chambered LP's are far too neck-heavy and felt absolutely horrible to 'wear'.

We could discuss the tonal differences/similarities until Hell freezes over but I, for one, could never consider buying a chambered LP because of the un-balanced nature of the instrument.

Ya, know I've never known whether or not the LPs I've played have been chambered or solid, but I definitely have two different reactions to Les Pauls. Either "Gotta Have this Tone Monster" or "Eh". I wonder now if that has to do with the Chambering?

I gigged a '72 SOLID Les Paul for 14+ years. When I swapped it I went for another 15+ years without a Les Paul.

I bought my daughter a chambered '08 Fireburst Studio for her birthday and liked it so much I bought myself a chambered Wine Red Studio. I don't notice ANY balance problem, I also own a '79 SG so I KNOW what a neck heavy guitar is.........

My opinion over the last few years of checking them out is I prefer the chambered over the cheese holes.

I have a chambered 09 fire burst studio and i don't notice any problems with the guitar being neck heavy. I actually wish the body was a little heavier but when I'm standing up I'm glad its not that heavy. This debate could go on forever. Find an LP that's comfortable and sounds good and you won't care what anyone else thinks.

5-7 hours a day? holy crap' date=' you are a god [biggrin']

Yes....a Thundergod! [blink]

I've never owned a chambered LP but have played one in a store. I didn't notice any tone difference, but I actually like a little weight to my LP. I know it's all in my head, but if I wanted a really light guitar I can play something else. Plus, I'd be afraid that I would get one of those little wood chips or "burgs" as some people call them, inside the chamber and the rattling around would annoy me.

I too have back problems and bought a Historic for the lighter weight and overall set of features.

I would not hesitate buying a chambered LP but I would be selective, some of them are heavy even for being chambered.

One I tried was extremely light, it seemed wrong in my mind but when I strummed it unplugged the guitar had an amazing resonance.

Why would you want to strap a brick around your neck for a couple of hours when you can get a chambered Paul that looks and sounds just as good? My black custom is weight relieved but still weighs in at 10 lbs and you definitely notice how comfortable the chambered Les Pauls are... My Classic and Robot are chambered too...

Archived