Gibson Brands Forums

Going to GC tomorrow. Need input fast.

I'm going to GC tomorrow and want to look at some Gibsons to try out. I have smaller hands and a bit of a back problem.

I was thinking of looking at:

Melody Maker

Gibson SG faded

Les Paul Jr.

Any suggestions? (I know, it's like opening a can of worms but would like some input, please. Any help would be great).

For sound, I'm looking for versatile sounds but willing to try something new. I'm going to be trying all sorts of brands.

Any Gibson will be good. What you need to look for is one with the 60's Slim Taper Neck profile for you smaller hands.

As for the back issues, Gibson makes several LP Models with Chambered bodies, which are lighter than weight relieved.

SG's are not bad for weight, but I'm not sure about the neck profile.

An SG is probably your best bet due to your back problem. The SG's do, however, have the 50's neck profile which is slightly larger around than the 60's profile. An SG Standard or Special would be a great choice!

Don't go to Guitar Center.

But' date=' if you must, STAND YOUR GROUND.[/quote']

Wise words from a wise man. Seriously, are there ANY other stores near you? GC won't negotiate on price, at least that's true for the ones that are near me. On the other hand other stores will (you can easily get 10% off, sometimes up to 25%). Use GC to find the guitar you want then go to another place to get a good deal...

Thanks. I'm not going to buy from GC. I'm just trying out guitars. I'll buy later on online if they run promotions or if santa wants to drop one carefully down the chimney. [biggrin]

There aren't any stores near me (even this GC is kind of far from me) that have any selection of guitars to try out. So, I'm going there just to play around a bit to see what works and what doesn't. I'm going to be trying out some Fender strats and a PRS SE as well for comparison.

Like a lot of the other member posts, I'd say go for an SG. Seriously though, just try each one of the ones you mentioned, and just pic what is most comfortable. I had a SG Special Faded, and it was a really comfortable guitar to play. Good luck.

Hope I'm not too late.....GC will price match internet prices...so go online and print prices from authorised dealers like Music 123 and Sweetwater, use a search engine like Nextag. take those print outs to GC and then offer them 10% less than the online dealer offers they will bicker.....

Buy the one YOU LIKE!

That is true. They will match any internet price but they won't negotiate any further like other places. For example, I got my figured-top ES-339 for $2,200. The lowest that GC ever "offered" was $2,900 for it.

Archived