Gibson Brands Forums

How do you use your J-200?

Dotneck

I've become intrigued with the jumbos lately....and wonder how you J-200 owners use your guitars? Are they everyday players or stage guitars?

I think the size makes them bit much to handle...can't see sitting on the couch and playing it. I've got a J-185...are tey that much more cumbersome than the 185?

I've just tried them once in a while in a guitar center...never really had chance to spend any quality time with one...

I won't own a guitar I won't gig with. Which one goes out the door generally just depends on my mood or if I need to plug in so it will come down to which one is sporting a DeArmond 210 at the moment.

I own a 1960 J-200 (although my wife who has claimed it as her own will dispute that). I have had it a whole lotta years. I string it with the same guage as all my guitars - a .013 set but swap the high E out for a heavier guage. I have played it pretty much everywhere - bars, coffee houses, open air artsy fartsy festivals, backyard get togethers, and just sitting in my living room playing along with TV commercial jingles. It does show some battle scars but stuff happens and the thing while beautiful is still a tool and has a job to do.

I will say that playing the J-200 lounging in a big old easy chair ain't the easiest thing to accomplish. Ya gotta kinda manuever it into a position something akin to the way Bill Wyman held his bass.

Here she be with its Lifton case (the last year the case was offered with it). She will be going over to see Doc sometime in the next few weeks to see about removing the additional pickguard (it was on the guitar when I got it). I just ain't sure what is underneath it.

1960GibsonJ200.jpg

I practice on my J-200 while watching TV in an armchair. As someone already said you have to bring the neck up a bit but it's comfortable and the sound is so great I get loads of songs out of it whilst just noodling away. it's also the easiest guitar to record. Just stick an LDC mic out in front of it and it sounds great always!

I use mine as case stuffing. I really need to play it more. I've gigged with it twice, and I haven't yet gotten over the fear of smacking the headstock into a mic stand or something. Actually, I just pulled it out this morning and asked, "why don't I play this awesome guitar more often?" Thinking of taking it to Saturday's gig.

It's definitely a bit to handle for me. It's a big guitar.

Just back from a workshop with Mr. Ernie Hawkins (see image, above). Besides being a good teaching, he got a heckuva tone from his J-200. Size did'nt seem to slow him down a bit. Ernie plays slope Js but this, fwiw, is apparently the one he gravitates toward.

Interesting point this re size of the SJ200/300.

Some around here know I have craved a decent SB for a while now but as yet haven't found one which meets my budget. I should have bought a J300 18 months ago but Chickened out!

So last Christmas, when my wife was stuck for something to buy me , I asked for an Epi J200 clone.

The rationale was solely to ensure that I would be "long term comfortable" with the size ( This means whether it would fit my gut!)

So she bought me a "maple" cutway so there was no chance of it ever competing with my object of my desires a SB non cutaway.

Spent six months enjoying the Epi, its a nice box and I will keep it.

The familiarlity with the shape and size has confirmed that the SJ200/300 will be mine.

Perhaps now though the Epi might just fill in until I find a decent alternative.

I eat dinner off of mine. It's big enough for a dinner plate, salad plate, and a drink.

I don't actually own one - but House of Guitars got a gorgeous "Banner Custom" HOG Limited Edition model in yesterday that makes me wish I did. I won't be able to afford any, let alone a one-off as nice as this one, for a very long time, but I'm considering an Epiphone. I just love that body.

I've become intrigued with the jumbos lately....and wonder how you J-200 owners use your guitars? Are they everyday players or stage guitars?

Definitely everyday players for me -- it's usually a J-200 that I leave sitting out on the stand.

While some people do find them uncomfortably large, I don't think size has much to do with it. I saw a young woman at an open mic on Thursday who was maybe 5'4" and definitely under 100 lbs.playing an EJ-200, sitting, with no difficulty whatsoever. Yet plenty of larger folks find them to be too large. The only way to tell whether that size will work for you is to try it.

-- Bob R

I've got a J150 and i play it a lot. Excellent fingerpicking guitar. Lots and lots of volumn and sustain. Real easy to play. I've always found the super jumbos to be very comfortable to hold and I play mine lying in bed, lying in a recliner, sitting on a bar stool,, etc. I use it for all kinds of gigs. They're a lot of money, but they're also a lot of guitar. If you've got one of the super jumbos you're missing-out if you're not using it. They are made to be heard.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

I am 5'6 and find the jumbo actually more comfortable then dreadnaught shape. I think because of the narrow waist. I can play it longer with out my right arm getting sore. I usually play 1/2-1 hour each day so I can say the Jumbo size really doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

My SJ-200 "True Vintage" has a classic Gibson tone that is so awesome, the guitar must be played, regardless of its size. Actually, for me, the size is fine (I'm 6'3"...) but even if I found its size awkward, its tone would still mandate regular use.

The surprising thing for me is how versatile such a large guitar is for finger-style play. It's certainly more than a strummer, that's for sure. In fact, if it were a piano, it would be an eight-foot concert grand. Puts most of my guitars to shame for both strumming (as one would expect...) and for picking (as most players probably would not expect...). I know it shocked me the first time I played it.

Yes, it is large, but play it once and you'll remember it always. It's that good.

This, from a player with a number of custom-grade 000-sized guitars including Brazilian Rosewood ones from Martin, Taylor, and Goodall which are supposed to be among the best finger-picking guitars made. They are, in fact, great, but, believe me when I say my SJ-200 "True Vintage" takes a back seat tonally to no guitar I've ever played. If you like amazing bass response, fasten your seat belt.

Strong words... but it is a truly amazing guitar. Thanks, Gibson. You made me a believer again.

Jack6849

I love the sound of the J-200' date=' just not a big fan of that mustasche bridge.....lol....but must be the flagship of sound for Gibson. [/quote']

Yup...I'm not yet a fan of the mustache bridge...but i can overlook that if the tone is there. And this thread is doing a good job of convincing me that this could be an adventure worth pursuing. I'll need to start saving some money...

Would anybody like to loan me an SJ-200 for a couple weeks so I can be sure?

[cool][blink]

Archived