Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite time of music

blambo1223

I'm with L5Larry... love doing solo fingerstyle versions of "swing" and then going into the '50s "pop" which was pretty much combo versions of the big band stuff.

But as with Bob N., I think there's stuff I can enjoy from about every era - although I wasn't too much into 80s stuff at the time 'cuz of travel.

Those '20s blues things were also awfully neat.

m

I'm with L5Larry... Those '20s blues things were also awfully neat.

I hear that; Bessie Smith, et. al.

I'd have loved New Orleans during the birth of jazz, too. The NY jazz scene from WWII into the 50s was cool, too.

Ziggie...

I hears yah...

But I'll tell you, in the 1950s the old New Orleans and Chicago jazz scenes from the 20s were kind of considered horrid stuff not worthy of a listen. I really liked the pre-bebop stuff myself even then, but among jazz-oriented kids I took some interesting put-downs. I was playing trumpet at the time and thought Louis and Ruby Braff were the cat's meow.

m

40-50's = Great era for polished musicianship. There was no over-dubbing and you had to be good.

60's = Great era for experimentation, which still influence the music industry today

70's = I was truly pissed when even some rock n roll bands jumped on the disco band-wagon[angry] ... Thank god Boston and Van Halen came along and straightened that out for the most part.

80's = Great time to be a musician if you were located in Los Angeles, certainly some of the glam stuff wasn't my favorite, but if you were a good guitar player, there were plenty of gigs to be had.

90's = I thought the change over was great... Bands like Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, STP, Alice N Chains made me realize that all songs didn't have to be about love, party and girls.

2000= It must be my old age, but IMO this has to be the darkest period for rock n roll, and 2010 isnt off to a good start IMO.

70's = I was truly pissed when even some rock n roll bands jumped on the disco band-wagon[angry] ... Thank god Boston and Van Halen came along and straightened that out for the most part.

90's = I thought the change over was great... Bands like Pearl Jam' date=' Sound Garden, STP, Alice N Chains made me realize that all songs didn't have to be about love, party and girls.

[/quote']

Don't forget New Wave, Metal, and Punk in the '70s.

And the '60s were as much about war and politics as love, party and girls.

Duane V....

YOUR old age???????????????????

Sheesh. <chortle> I've got hats and boots that are older. Even some guitar gear!

Seriously, I think the 40s and 50s were among the best decades in history for popular music in terms of small group performers and performances. New instrumentation in the case of the electric guitar and the B3 with a Leslie, etc., etc., etc., and all those WWII guys who came home with new music ideas and an expanding economy and...

Frankly if a band reeeeeally wanted to get going and make a buck, the late 50s and then the early to mid 60s was a pretty good time for it - although it also was an era of heavy control by the corporate recording companies.

Kids of the WWII generation didn't really get where their parents were coming from 'cuz they hadn't had to live through a war or two, and looked for yet something else. They never did appreciate why their parents were like they were. So yeah, it got pretty political as well as love, party and girls - the cars and lifestyle that their parents' economic efforts had made possible.

The 70s? A lotta style "change" came not only for the expected reasons of change in pop music, but also because we were entering the transistor age as it affected the technology of music both live and on recordings.

m

Right Now may not be the best time for New Music, but it's one of the best times to be a Cover Artist. Thanks to new technology like Ipods, Satellite Radio, Guitar Hero, and YouTube audiences of all ages appreciate good music from all the eras mentioned above.

It used to be you had to play what was Hot and New, or play the handful of Classic Rock Standards that were accepted in the clubs. Now you can play Cream, Zeppelin, Motley Crew, Fleetwood Mac, Rage Against The Machine, STP, Bo Diddley, SRV, Neil Diamond, Evanescence, Chuck Berry, Bobby Darin, BOC, you name it, you play it, the Audience Eats It Up!!

It may be a little Stagnant for Originals right now, but maybe that's because we're always trying to get the "New Sound" before the "Old Sound" was worn out. Perhaps "Innovation for Innovation's Sake" isn't the best direction for Music or Art.

Necessity should be the Mother of Invention.

Firstmeasure...

I'd agree.

I also think that all the potential media actually makes it harder to be "reeeeeally big" in the biz - but it may also make it easier to make a living at music. I dunnon.

m

Right Now may not be the best time for New Music' date=' but it's one of the best times to be a Cover Artist. Thanks to new technology like Ipods, Satellite Radio, Guitar Hero, and YouTube audiences of all ages appreciate good music from all the eras mentioned above.

[/quote']

Music has definitely changed.

There will never be a band that had that landmard music like the Beatles did.

Beatles played songs about 50 years ago and people STILL listen to it because IMO, they changed a lot of how music sounds to our ears.

Now its all about dreamy teens and hip hop and all that gibberish

Music has definitely changed.

There will never be a band that had that landmard music like the Beatles did.

Beatles played songs about 50 years ago and people STILL listen to it because IMO' date=' they changed a lot of how music sounds to our ears.

Now its all about dreamy teens and hip hop and all that gibberish

[/quote']

Personally, I think a lot of the early Rock Groups get too much credit for "Changing Music". The instruments they played and wrote the music on are what made the 'Big Change". If it wasn't for the advancement of electronic instruments, they would have been "Just Another Group". But because there was something new for them to embrace, they pretty much had First Stab at it.

And don't forget, The Beatles started off with Dreamy Teen crap and the sound they were making was more Poppy than today's Hip Hop.

I can't believe that all of our innovations are in the past, but I also believe in exploring every aspect of that last Innovation before ditching it for the next new thing.

Current.

There's some excellent stuff out there right now' date=' just takes a bit of digging to find it.

If we're talking about popular music only, my vote would go to the 70's.[/quote']

Elaborate, I haven't found hardly any new music worth listening to.

Actually I liked the way this thread started "favorite" rather than "best."

It's subjective. As a late-teen and early 20 in the 60s, I tend to prefer pop stuff from that era.

The question of "best" rock .... I dunno. In the 70s I'd made the switch to playing country for money 'stedda rock, so I didn't listen to much rock of that time period. In fact, given the crowd age group of the saloons I played, most of what we did was 50s and 60s country. That tends to solidify my thought that to a large extent, the pop music as one enters one's pubescent and very early adult group identification will strongly influence one's lifelong musical preferences.

As a non-rock example, I love baroque fugues, and I'm perfectly happy having them playing as I'm dining. It drives a certain lady in whose company I frequently dine almost to physical illness.

m

Elaborate, I haven't found hardly any new music worth listening to.

Just a few examples, heard any of these?

Tool - Lateralus

Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy

Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Mike Oldfield - Music of the Spheres

BT - This Binary Universe

Mattias Eklundh/Jonas Hellborg - Art Metal

None of the above can be found on the top 100 charts, therein lies the difference to the 70's. Popular music actually had value back then.

Archived