Gibson Brands Forums

3 Guitars you wish you had never sold/traded.

Dotmaster

We seem to have similar taste in guitars. One question' date=' was the Alvarez a Yairi??? I had an Alvarez Yari I got in 1976 (I think), great guitar but I didn't like the shape of the neck. I ended up trading it for a Les Paul Custom.

[/quote']

I bought an '83 Alvarez Yari classical that I still have, I absolutely love playing it. The tone is amazing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never sold or traded any of my guitars away (yet). I have four and three I dont even know

what they are. 1 unmarked full size acoustic, 1 telecaster knockoff, 1 Epiphone by Gibson that

I dont know what the model is yet, ( looks sorta like a strat without a pick guard, three pickups

but the bridge is a HB), and the only one I know what it is is my Fender Avalon acoustic made

in Korea. I got all these 15-30 years ago.

Sad isn't it that this thread appears on absolutely every Guitar forum you've ever visited .

Just goes to show that we've all done it !

I think my biggest regret is an early Fender 62RI Strat that I bought new in '83. Loved the sound but didn't think at the time that I could get on with the neck... because it was different to what I was used to. Parted with it quite quickly. I'd now get on just fine with that neck...and to this day it was one of the sweetest sounding rosewood board Strats I've ever played.

A slightly different kind of regret is the guitar I didn't buy in the first place. As a young lad in '77 I bought a brand new natural ash Tele. Weighed 11 freakin' pounds...and sounded like a wailing banshee. Shite!

On the same day I could have bought...for £20 less in the same store ...a light weight genuine 1954/5 Tele in very reasonable nick! I wanted the nice shiny new one . what an idiot =P~

Since learnt not to part with anything...which is why the house is full of bloody guitars !

Sold a 1972 sunburst Fender Strat around 1980 because I couldn't raise the cash for a complete re-fret. I should have hung on to it....

Also sold a Jap-built Shaftesbury Les Paul goldtop from the mid-70s.... a lovely lawsuit guitar. Never seen another one.

GAS may force me to sell my Epi 3-humbucker goldtop this year; it's one-in-one-out now with my collection and the Epi is closest to the door. Be sad to see it go because I've done so much to it, but there's another humbucker guitar I'm after.....

• 2 months later...

I think in these times everyone looks back and compares prices with Ebay fro value and wished they never sold their gear. I have a Kramer Sambora but to be honest it is not the best guitar I have played but the fact that I am a Sambora fan and that it will be discontinued mean that it ill shoot up in price. I tried to get hold of the Gallagher Union Jack but never mind the price I couldn't even find one on Ebay! The price of those with the Sambora will rocket come the time.

Hmmm.....

1953 Gibson ES-125

1973 Fender Precision Bass (with stock Jazz bass neck and anodized pickguard)

1957 Fender Duo-Sonic

There are other ones, but those are the big ticket ones. There was a mid-60s Silvertone and a Hondo II Les Paul copy I wish I'd held on to. Not much value to them (although it might be a different story now on the Silvertone), but they were good players. The Hondo especially...it was one of their 'Professional' models with brass hardware and DiMarzio pickups.

Hey everyone! noob here. Glad to be aboard.

There is only one guitar that I can say I actually regret getting rid of. It was a 1986 Gibson SG with the factory Kahler Trem and rectangle inlays (as opposed to the traps). I got it on a trade for a crappy Oscrar Schmidt Acoust/Elec and gave it away because I was having wiring and pick up problems. Soooooo stupid!! I wish that I could go back 13 years just to kick myself in the nads.

Oh well. Easy come, easy go.

Only 3?!!! LOL! Well, my black '68 Les Paul Custom, '68 SG Standard, and 69 ES-355! Those, for sure!

Another one, was my old black (Jet Glo) '68 Rickenbacker 360-12 string. I've replaced, most...with newer

versions, over the years...but, I really regretted selling those, the most!

My first ever, electric guitar was a '64 Fender Strat (3-color sunburst, with rosewood fingerboard). It has an

interesting story, in that I sold it (twice)...once to get my Gretsch Country Gent, then later I bought it back,

from the guy I sold it to, for 100 dollars! Hung on to it another 3 years, or so...then sold it, again...to another

friend, to by my first "Hasselblad" camera, when I...with the advent of "Disco," decide not to pursue music,

any longer, and went into "Photography!" 10 years, went by, and in 1981, after Lennon was killed, and I was feeling "nostalgic," I called the fellow I had sold my old Strat to, and (Amazingly :>O) he still had it! Even more amazingly, he sold it back to me, for exactly what I had sold it to him, for...$280.00. Needless to say, I was thrilled, on several levels, and still have it, to this day. That guitar, will NEVER be sold again!

CB

I forgot one of the most important "losses". A 1967 Kustom 200a in natural/bigsby. Very difficult to find nowadays, particularly at an affordable price for me. the few I've found are wither at shows or with collectors wanting $3000/+. Very weird guitars, a ton of dot inlays on the fretboard. Alot of people hated them, compared to Rics by people who like them. I loved the neck, very much like the older Ric 360's.

1. '69 Gib LP Deluxe (the first year they made them with the minis).

2. mid-'60's Walnut ES335 (with the notorious 'small' neck- i.e. 1 9/16 nut width). I traded it even-up for the LP Deluxe. (Before you call me an idiot, the 335 was pretty beat-up by then; the LP was new. Granted, I still might be an idiot).

3. '72 Tele Custom with HBs. Traded it for a '62 SG with P-90s which I ran into the ground in about two years.

I sure wish I had them back along with the circa 1970 White LP Custom that was stolen out of a club and the '82 LP Standard with a Natural finish that I was stupid enough to sell to my brother who promptly traded it off for a Martin accoustic.

If things continue to go right with me I'll never have to sell or trade another guitar in my life.

'63 SG w/ maestro - I paid $50 for it

Mid 60's ES 330 - I think I paid $200. Sold it because of the pickups and neck weren't like the 335, which a few of the "hot" players in town used. DUH. Ended up buying a '68 Strat

'67 ES 335 12 string - I think I paid less than $300 and traded it to build a custom Strat.

A couple others, like GT-75 electric Martin and late '60's ES 175.

The one I most regret is the '63 SG.. (I once thought that this was the model that Angus Young played, but found out through this forum that his was a later model with the large pickguard).... Sooooo many war stories..........J

• 4 weeks later...

I should never have sold my first electric guitar, a 1979 Fender Musicmaster. Sold it to a friend who destroyed it.

Never should have sold my 1980's Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst. I always wanted a cherry sunburst(which I have), so I sold the more rare Silverburst. Oh well!

Also never should have sold a 1984 Dean Belaire with a Kahler trem. It was possibly the first HSS guitar. Who knew???

Let's see...hmm...

Ok, here goes:

Gibson Les Paul Studio '84

Gibson SG Standard 2006

Gibson Les Paul Classic 2007

Fernandes FR55 '86?

Ovation 12 string A/E '89

Kramer ZX30H w/emg HZ4's '90

The Fernandes and the Kramer were "Super Strats" the FR55 was Floyd Equipped, the Kramer was a hardtail, that Ovation was an ok guitar unplugged, amped it just did nothing but feed back, and of the Gibsons, I kick myself the hardest for loosing the SG, that was one HELL of a guitar, could do a bunch of different things with that one, I miss 'em all! If you go to my Myspace page, and look in the friends section, the guy "Hot Rod" has a picture of the Fernandes on his profile page, that was mine. This chick I knew when I lived in San Diego did the paintjob on that one. And I wont even discuss the ones that were stolen by some jonesed out Cokehead, that's another thread.

Only one - a Gibson 1969 ES 335 TD - Walnut (see avatar) - bought it and a Fender Superreverb for about $350 each and sold them both for the same price about 6 years later - thinking I would never play again.

Now I keep almost every one I buy.

Archived