Gibson Brands Forums

Who are your 5 favorites all time guitarists ?

Big Norm

Hi everybody,

After the favorite solos...who are your 5 favorites guitarists? Not necessarely the best ones... The one that you love to listen to. The ones that makes you trip. It will certainly be a mather of your age... At my age ( old ) there are my choices.

1- Jimi Hendrix

2- Georges Harrison

3- Jeff Healey

4- Eric Clapton

5- Dave Gilmour and Frank Zappa ( tied)

Let's ear from you guys and gal's

Big Norm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Drooper-The Banana Splits-One bad cat with a blue Explorer.

2. Josie - Josie And The ***** Cats-Another bad kitten with a tear drop Vox.

3. Archie Andrews-The Archies-The original Mr. 335

4. Ron Elliot-The Beau Brummel Stones- Rockin' Bedrock back to the stone age.

5. Lancelot Link-Lancelot Link And The Evolution Revolution-Simian Stratocaster Superstar

...and Al's your uncle.

Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck... I can't stop... Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Joe Satriani...I'm rolling now...Peter Green, Pete Townshend, Robert Fripp, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield...gotta take a breath...John McLaughlin, Buddy Guy, Albert Lee, Steve Cropper, Gary Moore...Roy Buchanan, Keith Richards, Robert Cray, Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter...just five eh man this is tough...Mark Knopler, Charlie Byrd, Chet Atkins, Don Rich, Loe Kottke...I'll narrow it down yet...James Burton, Link Wray, Buddy Holly, Jorma Kaukonen, Rory Gallagher...jeez this is difficult...Joe Pass, Django Rhinhardt, Pat Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Andy Summers...I gotta stop...Eddie Van Halen, Slash, George Lynch, Mike Campbell, Randy Rhodes, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Angus Young...ahh the heck with it I give up. I can't name five.

Dave Gilmour

Dave Davies (for helping shift pop into rock in the 60s, and for some great under-rated live playing in the 80s)

Eric Clapton (for his superb mid-60s recycling of Freddy King and Buddy Guy)

Mick Ronson (for the creative support - guitar playing and arranging - that made Bowie a star and brought the best out of Ian Hunter)

Bill Nelson (for great guitar solos and arrangements on Sunburst Finish and Modern Music)

Others I have to mention :

Martin Barre

Hendrix

Zappa

Andy Powell, Ted Turner, Laurie Wisefield

Really surprised to see George Harrison figure so often in this thread. I'm a fan and have a lot of his solo stuff, but I wonder if people are picking him (a) because of his later solo work, especially his beautiful melodic multi-tracked slide playing, (:- for his early poor imitations of chuck berry, © because he was a Beatle (but not realising that some of the later stuff wasn't him, it was McCartney). I regard him as a superb slide player who really took off around 1971 onwards, but his Beatles stuff 1963-1968 doesn't impress me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan (and one of the lucky few to have seen him play solo) but he's so different to most of the other "guitar heroes" named here.

Archived