Gibson Brands Forums

Time for another poll

RotcanX

1. Sonic Blue-

2. Mary Kaye Trans White with some UV yellowing to it and some ash grain showing through-

3. Forty year old Sparkling Burgundy/Candy Apple Red (in Fender-speak) with some nice yellowing to it-

4.Olympic white on Strats/the faded to yellow white on Gibsons-

5. Heritage Cherry Sunburst on Gibsons with some very slight fading to the reds like on a '60/Two tone Sunburst for Strats-

...and Al's your uncle.

It depends on the guitar.

For a Telecaster, I prefer natural.

SG, Cherry or some shade of red.

LP, Black (Which is what I have), Cherry sunburst or Alpine white.

Strat, Almost anything except tobacco sunburst. I'm picking up a red one tomorrow :)

I don't really like tobacco sunburst on any guitar. I dunno why. My very first guitar was tobacco sunburst. It was one of those ultra cheap guitars you might see at a yard sale for like $20.

Also, I saw this kick *** Ibanez S470DQXM in an amber finish that was stunning. It played wonderfully. I put it on layaway, then financial trouble hit me hard and I lost it :(

I like a natural look...was why I got the Studio in worn brown, closest they had in a natural color.

I did some work for a preacher once who had a Peavey all natural...really like that guitar...clean and classy and played like a dream...forget what model it was.

Captmidnight

I couldn't help but notice Gold aint up there' date=' sos I went for Blue, naturally.[/quote']

Unfortunately the choices in these polls are limited so I had to choose between blue and gold... figuring that there's more kinds of blue guitars out there than goldtops, and amazed that Uncle Al didn't click on blue too since Sonic Blue falls into the category...

I have guitars in several colors, but primarily sunburst (vintage and/or cherry), black, and "natural."

I guess, now that I look at them all...most are a version of Cherry Sunburst, or in the case of the Ric's..."Fireglow,"

and 1 in "Jetglow!" But, "Lucille" is Black, I have a black strat "Blackie," and a doule cut Les Paul Junior Lite, that is black,

and tricked out, with gold hardware, and tuners....it made an inexpensive guitar, look fabulous! I can never just leave

well enough alone, though, seemingly?

CB

I'm with the grain preference.

If it's down to just color.. but how often is that? Usually something else is pushing harder...you know, now that I think of it, I wonder if I don't purposely try to compare guitars that aren't the same model to start with..

hmmm.

Ah, I screwed up, I shoulda made it so that 'amber' would include 'yellow' finishes... I was thinking mostly of my old Samick LP Classic birdseye in amber as well as my 'Korina' Explorer which is also an amber hue... dang.

It's interesting how most of us seem to place a lot of importance on transparency... back when I was a clueless young punk one of the things that fueled my bias towards Gibson guitars was the fact that they had transparent finishes that allowed you to see the wood, unlike most Fender finishes which tended at the time to be solid colours. Of course today I have learned to appreciate the charm of a nice white or pale blue Strat... but still feel that the only proper shade for a Tele is butterscotch blonde with the ash grain just showing through.

Archived