Gibson Brands Forums

Out of case?

JEPI

Curious - How many of us leave our guitars out of the case, sitting on a stand for extended periods of time? I have an inexpensive Squier Custom Tele, (Indonesia) that hasn't been in a case for over a year, (I noodle with it while I'm on the computer) but being exposed 24/7 hasn't affected it at all. Neck's good, intonation's good etc. Temperatures here in SoCal can get into the 30's up to 115 degrees. I leave a window open except when it rains..I've even left my Epi LP out for weeks at a time with no "apparent" problems. What you say??..........J

I don't even own a case, so I have no choice. Since February 2007 when I bought it my Epi LP Studio has never seen the inside of a case. My Squier Strat (now out of action probably forever, neck pocket is really wacky) hasn't seen a case either.

No real problems except the ding that I showed you in my introduction topic.

Just had this discussion with a friend. . .

I'm all for leaving them out. Don't have an extensive collection though. I have a couple on stands, a couple hanging on the wall. When the mood strikes they are right there for me to play. I can run through a song or two, practice a riff or whatever and then just set 'em back in the rack. If I had to get 'em out of the case everytime I probably wouldn't play as much.

And guitars really can be works of art. They look good hanging on the wall or sitting out in their stands. It also adds to the vibe of my music room/office. Just makes me want to play more. . .

N

In and out. It depends what I'm playing. I don't have to worry about little kids. I only have three stands at home, so I never have more that three out, but right not my '57 Junior RI and Sheraton are out on stands. I find that I have a tendancy to grab them more often when they are right in front of me, I'm holding my Jr. now.

J

I'm all for leaving them out. ....When the mood strikes they are right there for me to play. I can run through a song or two' date=' practice a riff or whatever and then just set 'em back in the rack. If I had to get 'em out of the case everytime I probably wouldn't play as much.

And guitars really can be works of art. They look good hanging on the wall or sitting out in their stands. It also adds to the vibe of my music room/office. Just makes me want to play more. . .

[/quote'] My thoughts exactly ..... not to mention that I have no hardcases, anyway ...(just gig bags8-[ )

In and out. It depends what I'm playing. I don't have to worry about little kids. I only have three stands at home' date=' so I never have more that three out, but right not my '57 Junior RI and Sheraton are out on stands. I find that I have a tendancy to grab them more often when they are right in front of me, I'm holding my Jr. now.[/quote']

I'm in the same camp. Don't really have the room to have a dedicated music room so whatever is the flavor of the day/week stays out on the stand.

I think my sheri has been in the case.. it's a 93 if I remember it right... probably a week tops.

I do take care to have good humidity.. keep out of sun, away from heat/cool vents.

I have quite a few in the music room hanging on the wall.

Even forty year old acoustics..

A three thousand dollar solid body.. have it handy if you like..

a three thousand dollar acoustic. probably want to take the time to case it.

Perhaps this should be turned into a poll? :D

Anyways' date=' I'm all for leaving them out... Hasn't done anything to my guitars, yet... The only time I'll put one in a case is when I go out to jam, so..[/quote']

Don't know how to set up a poll. Maybe you could do it???.......J

I have an inexpensive Squier Custom Tele' date=' (Indonesia) that hasn't been in a case for over a year, (I noodle with it while I'm on the computer) but being exposed 24/7 hasn't affected it at all. Neck's good, intonation's good etc. [/quote']

You don't have to worry so much about a solid body guitar.. Climate isn't going to affect it much inside the house... But I wouldn't leave it in the trunk of your car in the winter, or summer... Acoustics and hollow/semi-hollows will be affected by extremes of humidity, or lack thereof, but again, in the house it should be ok... If you're comfortable, your guitar will be too...

I leave at least 3 or 4 of my guitars out on stands at all times... I try to put them in the case if I'm not going to use them for a while... But who can tell how long "a while" is gonna be? Eventually, they all end up standing around the room... I like having them accessible... Sometimes during a writing session, I'll want to switch guitars if I think a different guitar is better suited to the song I'm writing or if I just want to hear what it sounds like on a different guitar.. It's nice to be able to grab it right then and there, before the "muse" leaves me..

I have a pair of kids under the age of 4 running around the place, so needless to say my guitar lives in a hard case 99% of the time.

It does sit on a stand sometimes (like right now) when the kids and wife are out of the house, and I'm taking a small break from playing to browse the net.

IMO hard cases are a good protection from sudden extreme changes in temperature and moisture.

For example, on a regular winter here we could have 21°C (70°F) inside the house, -30°C (-22°F) outside. Now someone makes a fire in the fireplace that blows most of the smoke inside. In a frenzy that same someone runs around the house opening the windows for ventilation. The question is, what will happen to a Dot resting in a stand few meters/yards from an open window? I don't want to find out. I have two kids and a childish Rhodesian Ridgeback that weighs half of my weight. They sometimes find my guitars interesting, too.

I have a case for the Dot and one for a LP. The Junior and the Custom take turns in a case, depending on which one I play more that week. The Mexican strat I bought yesterday is in a case at work, which is likely the safest place for a guitar I have :D

I made it a point buying a case for every guitar. But except for the one I'm most attached to(my first decent homebuilt) every guitar is out of the case, and either in a stand or resting on the couch. Mainly cause I'm a lazy chum who don't entertain much.

I carried my guitar in cases, but at home they are always hanging on the wall, ready to play all the time. For my self, cases are only to carry them at a gig or a practice. I have an hard case for every guitar, but as I say, only to go out.

That's a BIG Rhodesian Ridgeback if it weighs 1/2 of you!!!

A little OT but hey' date=' it's a slow night..

The Ridgeback, Tumba, is about the average size for a male RR and I'm only 175 lbs but when he's pissed, playful or sleeps beside you (read: on top of you) he is a force to be reckoned with. He runs 100 yards under 10 seconds or even faster if you have a rabbit or something else to eat waiting at the finish line, so when I go out running with him in the forests nearby - once or twice a day - he usually gets to run free...

[img']http://epihistory.googlepages.com/xsm-dsc_2138.jpg[/img]

Biff - What a beautiful animal! I've never had one but a close friend has a female, "Honey Girl" that weighs in around 55lbs and she's a handful. Watching her run, there's no doubt that Tumba can scoot. Really good that he can run free in the forest. Thanks for the pic...........J

• 2 weeks later...

A little OT but hey' date=' it's a slow night..

The Ridgeback, Tumba, is about the average size for a male RR and I'm only 175 lbs but when he's pissed, playful or sleeps beside you (read: on top of you) he is a force to be reckoned with. He runs 100 yards under 10 seconds or even faster if you have a rabbit or something else to eat waiting at the finish line, so when I go out running with him in the forests nearby - once or twice a day - he usually gets to run free...

[img']http://epihistory.googlepages.com/xsm-dsc_2138.jpg[/img]

So, I'm taking my fearless Jack Russel for a walk and about 50 yards out she spots a dog in front of us. She's pulling me to get to it and I'm hangin' on, and we meet up with this very docile animal. Does it look like a Ridgeback to you? She was in dire need of water, so I turned back to the house and fed and watered her...........J

RhodesianRidgeback002.jpg

RhodesianRidgeback010.jpg

RhodesianRidgeback011.jpg

RhodesianRidgeback013.jpg

Archived