Gibson Brands Forums

If you could spend 24 hours with any Epi guitarist in History,

I think it's obligatory to say the Beatles' date=' so...The Beatles![/quote']

Only, if you don't want to die a horrible and premature death! ;>)

Only kidding....there's no "obligation" here, at all...except trying to be

respectful, and helpful, when possible(?).

CB

First name that came to my mind...George Harrison of course.

After that, John Lennon.

Its weird, back in the "good old days", I had ALOT of people calling me John Lennon when my group was playing parties. Alot of people said I looked like him. And I still get that a bit.

Dunno why I brought that up :)

If you have read any of the Beatles biographies, you would know that John might be the most difficult person to talk to. He seems to have had the least musical training, and would have rather been a grungy Rolling Stones type rather than a nice, clean Beatles type. A bit of a hooligan. But in front of a crowd, he was probably the most charismatic and had the best sense of humor. A very complex fellow. The recent bio by Bob Spitz is recommended reading if you are interested in the backgrounds of the fab four. It is less gossipy than the other books I've seen.

Well, could be. But, from other things I've read, they all had a good "BS" detector, and as long

as you approached them, as "real"...they were said to be pretty friendly, most of the time. It

would have been fun/interesting, to have had that opportunity, none the less.

CB

The first name I thought of was John Lennon.

But we'd get along for a grand total of about thirteen minutes, and then spend the rest of the time arguing.

I bet I'd get along with George quite well, though... we'd probably spend most of the time talking about religion (which is what I talk about with my friends a lot), and then just hang out and play guitar. I was trying some Gretsches today in his honour.

Otherwise, Garrison Starr. Epiphone's website lists "Garrison Star" as one of their artists, so I'm assuming it's the same person. We've already met, and she's one of my absolute favourite artists.

I've only seen her play Taylor acoustics and Fender electrics, though...

Very interesting stuff as I believed it would be. My first thought was Lennon followed by Harrison followed by McCartney, but my reasons for picking Les Paul are as follow.

I love his playing as well, his collaborations and his attitudes toward music in general. I've seen him play many times, in large and small venues, and in Keeter Betts's (Ellas road bassist for several decades and Md resident when not on the road) basement several times, usually with Herb Ellis.

His life spanned an incredible amount of the music industry history, in first person experience over critical developmental stages of building, electronics, marketing, and playing/collaborating.

I would spend my 24 hours picking his brain for all the info I could pack in (mostly previously unpublished as I have read many times most of the published stuff) on all the above.

Electronics principles and "how to" from his perspective, building, both guitars and electronics, and obviously playing. I would also have him introduce me to as many of the probably thousands of high quality players he has collaborated with or known and admired (many of which are no longer with us) so I could follow up with them once the 24 hours were over.

Maybe even the Beatles would be on his list. My fantasy anyway. Keep yours coming....

First name that came to my mind...George Harrison of course.

After that' date=' John Lennon.

Its weird, back in the "good old days", I had ALOT of people calling me John Lennon when my group was playing parties. Alot of people said I looked like him. And I still get that a bit.

Dunno why I brought that up :-[/quote']

I once knew a guy who was a dead ringer for Paul McCartney & his name was, of all things, David McCartney. No relation, though, since David was from Kansas & was a real quiet & shy guy who wasn't in to music at all.

Back in the day I would've said Lennon but after he hooked up with Yoko he became such a wuss that I soon tired of him.

Archived