Gibson Brands Forums

Will shielding quiet my P-90's?

I need advice, I have an Epi 56 reissue with stock P90's and I love the sound but my bandmates don't like the hum coming from my amp ( they cry like a bunch of 2 year old kids ). Has anyone used shielding paint from Stew-Mac, and does it work? If you have any other solutions I am open to them, thanks guys I enjoy reading this forum a bunch.

I need advice' date=' I have an Epi 56 reissue with stock P90's and I love the sound but my bandmates don't like the hum coming from my amp ( they cry like a bunch of 2 year old kids ). Has anyone used shielding paint from Stew-Mac, and does it work? If you have any other solutions I am open to them, thanks guys I enjoy reading this forum a bunch.[/quote']Most shielding paint does not have enough properties to really effectively stop all forms of noise. Better shielded wires, copper foil lined cavities for controls and pups will help, but part of the nature of a single coil is hum.

Not sure if that Epi is wired for it, but you can wire the pups so when the toggle is selected for both pups they are in a humbucking mode then and noise is dramatically reduced.

Whatever the shielding, the P90s won't ever be dead quiet.

Either take the advice above or try to fix both the guitar and the environment.

You could perhaps minimize the hum by shielding the guitar AND taking care of any sources of radio interference - computers and other electric appliances, fluorescent lights etc.

Not entirely, no. It may help...I have a faded

double cut LP, that is sheilded very well...and it IS

quieter, especially "clean!" But, add ANY distortion,

and it's like it was never sheilded, at all. Nature of the

"single coil" P-90 beast, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

CB

Hey Guys,

Yes, Shielding helps......However....

If you want a P-90 sound, you need a P-90.

They come with noise.

If you are willing to sacrifice some of the sound get a P-100.

Maybe someday, Epi or Gib will make a samarium cobalt. But then, that wouldn't sound like a p-90's either.

To be constructive....When I record, I set a noise floor and then delete it it the final track.Maybe there is somthing out there that will do that "Live". Perhaps a limiter. Maybe others have thoughts on "Noise supression".

Not entirely' date=' no. It may help...I have a faded

double cut LP, that is sheilded very well...and it IS

quieter, especially "clean!" But, add ANY distortion,

and it's like it was never sheilded, at all. Nature of the

"single coil" P-90 beast, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

Exactly. I am really loving my '56 GT the more I play it. When I play clean, stock pickups and wiring, it is fairly quite like CB said. Start adding overdrvie, compression, and boost and the noise comes through loud and clear. In quite passages I will kick off some of my pedals so the noise isn't so noticable. Then when we get louder I start kicking stuff back on. Actually the P90s have helped me to be a better musician because I have had to learn to do more adjustements with my '56 GT or '57 JR. than I do with my guitars that have humbuckers.

I need advice' date=' I have an Epi 56 reissue with stock P90's and I love the sound but my bandmates don't like the hum coming from my amp ( they cry like a bunch of 2 year old kids ). Has anyone used shielding paint from Stew-Mac, and does it work? If you have any other solutions I am open to them, thanks guys I enjoy reading this forum a bunch.[/quote']

Yeah,

Tell the to wash the sand outta their vagina's and shut up.

Dog gone it Sinner.

I wasn't trying to be quite that blunt.

Mouth like A Sailor And NO social filter.....

That And I have been out in the hot sun all day playing / Checkin' out sweet rides and hot Betties at a car show.

Also, I have been doing this long enough so my tolerance For Prima dona-esq behavior is Non Existent.

sheilding paint works fine and it's easier to do sometimes than get foil to fit well.

you need at least two coats. and test it when you're done.

you should be able to get continuity. a signal through.. at any two points on the paint.

and ground the electronics to some point in the paint.

after that.. you're a p90 user unless you go with the dummy coil.

My GT has assumed top place as my go-to guitar. It's been fairly noisy in some venues, just fine in others.

My bandmates love the sound of it, none of them have complained about the hum. They are willing to accept the noise that comes with the great P-90 tone. Like jcwillow77, I make adjustments with my pedals to minimize the noise.

You love your Gold Top? Then listen to xsinner13x's advice!

Besides shielding paint and alu/copper-foil, I use a piece of alu-food-tray cut into shape to cover the bottom of the control-cavity. In a LP they are nicely held by the potmeters. They come cheeep.

It's really a catch 22 I'm afraid...even with all the shielding in the world when you kick on an overdrive with a p-90 you get noise...it's just the nature of the beast. If you use a dummy coil it quiets things a bit but you lose the snarl and bite of the p-90......as others have said if you love the tone you kinda just have to accept a little noise...it's part of the p-90 magic!

sheilding paint works fine and it's easier to do sometimes than get foil to fit well.

you need at least two coats. and test it when you're done.

you should be able to get continuity. a signal through.. at any two points on the paint.

and ground the electronics to some point in the paint.

after that.. you're a p90 user unless you go with the dummy coil.

Most Shielding paint will not block all forms of noise, it will block some, but not all. I know the Stew Mac does not effectively block it all.

Thanks for all the info guys you're a great bunch. I just got back from band practice and I'll tell ya that 56 reissue just ROCKS THE HOUSE! I got my 56 reissue from MF when it was on sale at the end of April for $100 off. I ordered an Epi case with it and MF shipped the guitar in the case, and I'm glad they did. When it arrived the shipping carton was mangled and the bottom of the case was damaged. I held my breath while I opened the case but every thing was fine. I think I got a factory re-do as the finish looks like it was'nt buffed out properly, and the trc says 56Gold Top, I'm guessing someone at the EE plant messed up on a Gold Top so they painted it black. After a new set of strings and a set up I started playing it and I just love it. I don't worry much about the cosmetics so I repaired the case and decided to keep her. I might try the shielding but I think Sinner is right, my bandmates might have to get used to crying themselves to sleep if they don't like the P90 hum. Thanks again.

Yeah, Randy...I doubt if...at performance levels, it will really be a problem. Inbetween songs, you could just

turn off the pedals, or turn the volume control down? Kick 'em back on, when you start, or when needed,

and they really shouldn't have all that much to complain about. But, some folks just LIKE to "whine!"

That way myself, about some "pet peeve" subjects. ;>b LOL!

CB

Sheilding stops emi and rfi.. cable sheilding helps, so are pots covered in metal to sheild and gibson offered a metal cover in certain models.

all of it? nope.

you'll still have your pole pieces for example, you can't sheild those.

will it stop every bit of everything. nope.

You could maybe play in a giant coffee can?

In cables "...shielding is used to protect the signal conductors from RFI and EMI.

Braided shield is good for EMI, and foil for RFI.

Combinations (foil and braid) are used for long runs for RF cables."

So you can see that one would add sheild paint or copper foil with braided cables.

As far as perfection goes, I think that's a town in Arizona.

Archived