Gibson Brands Forums

Very Superstitious..........?

brad1

I always did like that song by Stevie Wonder.

It's Friday the 13th. And I was thinking about that superstition and wondering how many of you members out there have superstitions that you adhere to when you're playing your Epiphone.

I don't believe in that stuff at all. But I know a lot of people do.

I HAVE to wash my hands before I pick up my G400 and play. But that's more of a trying-to-keep-it-clean issue.

But I won't always do it with my acoustic or Jr.

Do you have any rituals, compulsions, or superstitions that you have to do before, during, or after playing?

In terms of modifications...I am superstitious about a guitar nut. Laugh if you want, but it's the one piece of the guitar I would rather not touch. (Of course, keep in mind I'm also very anal about how it's cut, and the height from the 1st fret to the bottom of the string.)

I still have a warmup routine I like to do if I'm planning a long, dedicated slog for practice. It takes about 20 minutes.

What I'll do is:

Run a major scale from the 2nd fret to the 21st fret, up, and back down again.

Run that same scale in an inverted fashion (in terms of steps....2-1-3-2-4-3-5-4-6-5-7-6-8 (octave) and back down again)

Run a sweep arpeggio pattern from the 2nd fret to the 15th fret and back down again.

Wash, rinse, repeat 3 times.

After that I'm pretty warmed up. I've also taken to wearing a wrist band over my right wrist (left handed).

I also keep my guitars in their cases whenever I am not playing them.

Always.

I don't even trust guitar stands anymore.

I will also wipe the guitar down if I've been at it for more than 2 hours straight. If it's 30 minutes here, 45 minutes there though...no big deal.

If it's Friday the 13th, I NEVER play my Epiphone facing East with a Marlboro cigarette in my mouth, ALWAYS in the ashtray, and I NEVER wear khaki shorts while playing in the garage, anyplace else is ok. And I simply MUST wear my Lynyrd Skynyrd Baseball cap backwards while wearing mirror sunglasses, rain or shine. And I NEVER say "pig" while on a boat...real bad schitt doing that.

Yep. Except it turned out so good' date=' Stevie said, "I think I'll keep this for myself." Good choice, say I!

Of course, Beck wasn't too happy about it![/quote']

I think it was the record company in dire need of a new 45"...

Superstition? I think Stevie said it best. The more you believe, the more things "happen"...

Billybob:

I did not know that (as said in my best Johnny Carson voice). Thanks for the info. Very interesting!

Matiac:

Too funny!

Ricochet:

Couldn't agree more. I thing there is a lot of wisdom in some of Stevie's lyrics.

Sentry:

You made me think about the fact that I often have a chromatic type of exercise I do on the fretboard to warm up as well. I read about Dimebag doing this exercise before every show. So I figured, hey if it worked for him.....

But as I find myself playing for longer periods of time , I seem to be doing it less and less. But I do practice multiple scale lines like you.

Billybob:

Sentry:

You made me think about the fact that I often have a chromatic type of exercise I do on the fretboard to warm up as well. I read about Dimebag doing this exercise before every show. So I figured' date=' hey if it worked for him.....

But as I find myself playing for longer periods of time , I seem to be doing it less and less. But I do practice multiple scale lines like you.

[/quote']

Dimebag did those sort of things? I didn't realize that.

In truth....my guitar teacher from years ago taught me that stuff. (and no, I don't play metal much anymore...so pfftthh~~~~!!!!)

Archived