Gibson Brands Forums

Huge guitar collection

Nic

When you look at the prices he's asking for the stuff he's considering/looking to sell he's certainly not out to make a killing. I'm trying to work out how to persuade the wife that one of those white Sheratons (not to everybody's taste I guess but I really want one) is an essential piece of expenditure. Mind you she hasn't seen the pups for the Tele project yet either!!

He have 268 guitars...but only one Fender...a strat. I would trade all my Jay turser for one American Tele if I was him. Lollll

I agree, I'm just about ready to concede that all I need is my Telecaster.

Yeah' date=' and so many copies of quality originals he owns. It's kinda looking like some sort of illness to me. No, thanks.[/quote']

No doubt. Though, had I the resources, I'd be willing to see if it's a contagious illness. I could live with that kind of sickness...my wife; maybe not so much. So I guess it's for the best that I won't win the lottery.

Still, he gives any of us married guys with 6 or 8 or 10 or a dozen guitars some good cover! My wife was so disgusted when I showed her that page that she's not nearly as convinced of my own mania anymore. Might be the right time to buy another guitar!

Odd' date=' he has some nice ones then a lot of crap. Jay Turser ?[-X [/quote']

I used to have a Jay Turser... not quite Gibson or Epiphone quality, but far from "crap" IMO. Especially for the price... I think it was under $200 brand new. Chambered body, set neck... played decent. I really regret selling it, now that I think back. #-o

I halfway want to buy that goldtop Turser from the guy now... :-k

I really don't know how to respond to either of those collections. I mean, my THREE guitars give me a vast amout of styles I can play in, plus options for just plinking around.

Granted, I do think there are 5 guitars everyone should own:

A solid body electric

A classical

Arch-top (vintage or comprable)

Hollowbody (yes I'm aware that, technically, an archtop is a hollowbody or semi)

A semi

That pretty much covers the options, but I'd say getting a varied array of styles is (to me anyway) more important that a bunch of a single style, like accumulating 10 electric solidbody pieces.

Oh, and everyone should play a resonator at least once. Those are SO much fun.

Some people (who are better qualified than most to comment) would argue that you just need the one...

"I still never try to get too far away from acoustic guitar. I figure that one day, when they run out of electricity, I won't have to rely on feedback to keep the lick going. Usually I don't touch an electric guitar at home; I work basically on acoustic. For me it really pays off, especially with chords; the acoustic's much truer, and you can't rely on electronic tricks like sustain to make yourself sound flash. You've got to play it dead right, so I find it keeps me precise. I think every guitar player should take time out to play the acoustic, especially flamboyant guitar players."

Keith Richards, 1985.

Some people (who are better qualified than most to comment) would argue that you just need the one...

Likely true, but I like to experiment with different tones and styles. I like my acoustic, but there are just some fun tweaks I can't get from it.

Why do you treat what Keith Richards says with such reverence? Let's face it, this ain't Hendrix you're worshiping. It's a guy who's played the same few riffs on an open G tuned guitar since about 1973.

You wanna know why the Stones sounded at their best in the early '70s? Answer: Mick Taylor.

Archived