Let's have a contest..

TWANG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good ideas.. everyone generally agree?

guitars are sure looking good.

should it be gibsons and epis?

I'll have to polish mine up and take new pics.. even then it looks like I aint winnin!

TWANG

what you have a problem with newbees in this forum' date=' glad to see the Gibson forum is more hospitable to newbees than this one.........[/quote']

Nothing to ask or tell about guitar topics have you?

We don't have problems with newbees, only with troublemakers.

what you have a problem with newbees in this forum' date=' glad to see the Gibson forum is more hospitable to newbees than this one.........[/quote']

We don't have problems with newbies. One fellow in particular gets banned every few days and resurfaces under a new(bie) name soon after.

Ok Let's calm down.

First off' date=' I'm not the judge.

Secondly, the prize was suggested and I said ok.. but we can change that, no problem here.

It can be something else.

Thirdly, this is not an official epiphone anything.. it's just a forum members fun thing.

Fourthly, hold up on those pics until we can figure out some way to do this..

Let's do some deciding.. first a list of those who want to compete..

second suggestions for the prize.. (I can make a guard and give it away, I've got a wilkinson p90-non dog ear, and I've got an import humbuck

that's pretty ok, and some import strat and tele pups... I'll look through my pile and try to pick something worth having.. but I aint

rockefeller.. or I guess bill gates would be a more timely name for a rich guy!)

third, let's decide on how to judge it..

and then let's do it.

ANYONE, even those who object, should feel their entry will be fairly judged.

I aint about grudges and I want not to build on anyone elses.

So, all who want to, jump in!

I just thought it would be a nice thing to do to break away from just discussing stuff.

but let's get us a plan!

TWANG[/quote']

Actually T, I think your being a little unreasonable on your prizes there, after all shouldn't it be a "Slash" signature pickguard as modeled by yourself or your version of "Slash" guitar????

Sorry mate, just extracting the Michael.... I'll get my coat.

I'm in ........

......Miss Honey as she is now - fingerprints, sweat, and all O:)

CIMG2213-1.jpg

I much prefer her stripped of the guard and switchring, at least for now O:)

Original setup is down in my sig - looks classic with the plastic, but I think she looks sharper without... now, just want to replace the factory knobs and I'm good.

Actually T' date=' I think your being a little unreasonable on your prizes there, after all shouldn't it be a "Slash" signature pickguard as modeled by yourself or your version of "Slash" guitar????

Sorry mate, just extracting the Michael.... I'll get my coat.

[/quote']

I don't get it.

I mean, the slash guard is just a guard innit?

I don't build set necks, so I don't get that part either, sorry!

Anyway, it's not about the prize. It's about a general concensus, happily arrived at, of good looking guitars.

TWANG

I don't get it.

I mean' date=' the slash guard is just a guard innit?

I don't build set necks, so I don't get that part either, sorry!

Anyway, it's not about the prize. It's about a general concensus, happily arrived at, of good looking guitars.

TWANG[/quote']

Sorry there T, just a little Flippancy gone wrong, won't do it again..... O:)

no apology necessary.

We aren't all on the same wavelength all the time.

I thought it was sarcasm somehow directed at epis marketing.. but then I wasn't sure. *G*

There's a book by Umberto Eco called A Theory of Semiotics, which, though largely above my head, explains a lot

about how the difficulty of understanding each other.

no sweat!

TWANG

Not to be Danny Downer here' date=' but you want to have a mass-produced, pretty-much-stock guitar beauty contest?

Like "Who's got the best-looking identical guitar?"

[/quote']

You're not Danny Downer, but I think each guitar has it's own character. For some here there are multiple reasons why they picked a particular guitar - feel, sound, and looks. Also, my LP for example has mellowed in color over the years; it has a sort of amber hue to it.

I also don't think it has to be stock - for some it will be, but other it will not. If I entered my Epi Elitist it would be stock; if I go Les Paul then it has many mods to it.

Ok Let's calm down.

First off' date=' I'm not the judge.

Secondly, the prize was suggested and I said ok.. but we can change that, no problem here.

It can be something else.

Thirdly, this is not an official epiphone anything.. it's just a forum members fun thing.

Fourthly, hold up on those pics until we can figure out some way to do this..

Let's do some deciding.. first a list of those who want to compete..

second suggestions for the prize.. (I can make a guard and give it away, I've got a wilkinson p90-non dog ear, and I've got an import humbuck

that's pretty ok, and some import strat and tele pups... I'll look through my pile and try to pick something worth having.. but I aint

rockefeller.. or I guess bill gates would be a more timely name for a rich guy!)

third, let's decide on how to judge it..

and then let's do it.

ANYONE, even those who object, should feel their entry will be fairly judged.

I aint about grudges and I want not to build on anyone elses.

So, all who want to, jump in!

I just thought it would be a nice thing to do to break away from just discussing stuff.

but let's get us a plan!

TWANG[/quote']

I want to enter. Just Cuz I love my G400.

GC

Just my two cents worth... in an effort to promote a bigger show

1. Epiphones and Gibsons

2. Set a cutoff date for photo submissions. All submissions eligible if visible.

3. Have 4 classes - Epiphones and Gibsons compete in these same four divisions

A. Stock with guard

B. Stock without guard

C. Modified with guard

D. Modified without guard

A custom or aftermarket guard bumps you to modified with guard. Stock is stock.

Custom wiring, pickup change, tuners, any change bumps you to a modified class

with or without guard deciding which. If modified, (as most will be), it will be up to

the entrant to list and photodocument the mods for inspection. This will showcase

more guitars and also the work that has been performed to them yielding a more

informative overall result in the contest. No more than one entry per class per entrant.

For example member26 could have entry into classes A,B,C,D - but not 2 in B and 2 in D.

As in the original cutoff date for submissions there will need to be a cutoff time for

assessment and voting. Say a week or so. Voting can take place at the end of the

inspection period so as not to be overlapping and difficult to tabulate. Entrants should

be aware that this will be largely based on the appeal and completeness of how the

guitar is presented: as this will, (reguardless-no pun intended), impact on their likely-

hood of placing well in the voting. An eye pleasing image of a beater guitar could

possibly fair better than a so-so image of a pristine case queen. Winners annouced

and reposted seperately as such at conclusion of contest. Only problem I see with this

is awards is now at four rather than the single. So maybe something cheap but mean-

ingful like a glorified can-koozie? After all the guitar and the glory are the real prize anyway!

again, just my two cents....

Wedgie

I like the ideas.. I like the enthusiasm..

I love the guitar pics..

Tell you what.. snobbery can't cut it.

These guitars look really great.. and the price range has nothing to do with it.

A little personal choice in each one seems to push it well beyond any cooky cutter idea to my eyes.

And even the stock models seem to vary enough between them, plus add contrast to the personalisation that

they all work for me.

The thread wont disappear.. so keep the pics coming.

Right now I'm busy with stuff I have to do to make money, but we're all keeping an eye out..

we can collect the pics later, or I will, and

start the sort of actual contest thread.. some may submit new pics at that time if they want to.. and we'll finalize the rules.

Meantime, I'll try to come up with a list of the.. hey.. rather modest... prizes.. and we can just jump on it from there.

I'm not submitting my guitars until I get a chance to hit them with the polish.

Sheesh you guys have some really cool guitars and some really good pics, too.

Look at faded epis dot studio.. not pricey but clean crisp classy..

compared to all the cosmetic stuff on my sheri.. who's to say which looks better?

Heck, I'm jealous.

TWANG

Archived