Gibson Brands Forums

All of your help needed.......

wrighty3693

Blues man at heart huh?

Well, I love the Les Paul, that's what I use most of the time. Epi also has a version of Lucille, so you may wanna check that out. If you're really into blues, then a Flying V is not some radical choice at all, not according to Mr. Albert King...

So, all and all, I think you're pretty much covered with the nice Epi models available out there. Still, my vote goes to the Les Paul guitar!

blues is a pretty broad category for guitar tones..

among the epis you should certainly look at a p90 loaded guitar..

and then you have to haggle about semi hollow or solid bodys..

blues zephyr.. do they still make those.. three p90s and wings...

even a wildkat... p90s again and a bigsby..

then on to dots sheratons

and then les pauls.

I suppose the classic blues choices are really the les paul and the dot.

Common choices and widely used.

But you know, there's flying V we could put in there, too, for sure.

And who can leave out the BB King model without a second thought?

John Lee Hooker favors the sheraton.. and that bring up mini humbucks.

Overall, I feel like I'm dissing my lp and my sheri.

but I'd say dot.

Unless he knows he was a penchant for the p90 pickups..

the dot semi hollow twin humbuck is probably going to hit the spot.

TWANG

RIVIERA'S! the best thing to be conceived by epiphone.

but yeah a sheraton would do more then the job but it depends what kinda blues you mean. if you mean the early stuff like BB king and howlin wolf then defo sheraton. However if he's one of the many (Too many) that decipher classical rock as blues (Like one band i know how use crunches for stuff like another brick in the wall....it makes me cringe) then a les paul for the fat tones it gives. Alternatively find a riviera, they seem to be AWESOME at everything.

Why does he need that when hes got me??????

You know' date=' maybe this will nominate me for the a$$hole of the week award at this forum (should such an award exist, and perhaps it should...),

[b']but....[/b]

If this is some family friend or relative, or even a High-School music teacher who's teaching you, then fair enough. It's kind of you to help him out.

However, in my opinion, any private guitar tutor worth his salt should know enough about contemporary guitars that he doesn't need to confess his ignorance to one of his students, and then send him out on a guitar hunt.

Yes, a guitar teacher is there to teach you the mechanics of playing guitar. However, as you will have noticed, we talk about tone constantly at this forum. A professional guitar teacher needs to be able to advise his or her students, as regards all aspects of their musical development and expressed musical desires. That includes advice concerning the selection of suitable gear.

The professional tutor who taught me (Paul) played a '68 Les Paul Custom. He'd played it since 1968 and it was his sole guitar, but he was teaching me in 1991. When I cited Steve Cropper as an influence, and wanted to use Cropper's style as a cornerstone in my learning, Paul was able to lead me through the entire Fender Telecaster range for that year, no problem.

Hey wrighty2012,

Stop making such incredibly lame polls. You are not putting much thought into them at all! You have an Explorer, but you don't have a Dot??? That's just being ignorant.. Just like the last one you did on G400's and included a G310!

You don't know how to make a poll, so how about NOT doing them anymore until you're older, or gain a heck of a lot more knowledge then you have. Am I bustin' your chops? You bet I am. Your polls are useless!

Jeasus brad, for a teacher you sound like you hate kids! give the poor boy a break. Then again i teach and im just as irritated at kids as the next slipper waggling retired old man. Although i do agree with summerisle, unless your using it as a cover to expand you knowledge of guitars but still, i dont theres that kind of skullduggery on the epiphone forums.

if you want to expand your knowledge just ask normally..... but normally you have to experience said item to know the real answer for yourself.

Peace out.

I always loved Winter...but MarxBros...you just shaked me. Who said the LP is not a Blues Guitar ???? Holy ****' date=' what a sound ![/quote']You should see how he picks a "good" guitar. He shakes a few notes and the guitar either has it or it doesn't.

Gary can get a bit noisy, but lord have mercy, when he wrings blues out of an LP, well....nuff said.

Jeasus brad' date=' for a teacher you sound like you hate kids! give the poor boy a break. Then again i teach and im just as irritated at kids as the next slipper waggling retired old man. Although i do agree with summerisle, unless your using it as a cover to expand you knowledge of guitars but still, i dont theres that kind of skullduggery on the epiphone forums.

if you want to expand your knowledge just ask normally..... but normally you have to experience said item to know the real answer for yourself.

Peace out.[/quote']

You know something, you are an idiot!

Because I don't like this guys poll, I "hate kids"???

You're a moron.

And I don't have to defend myself as a teacher. I have an absolutely unblemished record and have won multiple awards for my teaching, including "Teacher of the Year" twice in my career.

What I say and do here has nothing to do with what I do when I teach. I don't teach here. I come to learn, and to share knowledge, and give my opinion. And that is just what I did. I don't care if you like it or not. And if you want to think I hate kids becasue of that, than go ahead. I couldn't care less.

Archived