Gibson Brands Forums

how do you store your guitars?

twiggy

I know most of you have several of them and so do I. But after last purchase (p93) it got a bit tight in my room so I am looking for some reasonable solution. The one that cought my eye is stag GDC-6

076.EMD.032.jpg

it's just that I have two arctops with bigsbys and i'm not sure it wouldn't scratch the back of next guitar.

So my question is, how do you store your guitars? (applies for multiple guitars owners)

Maybe you've got some extraordinary idea or product i couldn't find during my wholeday diving in google...

P.S. Obviously pictures are more than welcome. Show your gear, but in the everyday enviroment, not fancy placed on the beds, softchairs or outside in a sunshine ](*,)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are all in their cases, for the following reasons:

a big lab mix who trashes everything she comes in contact with

a skinny Siamese cat with projectile vomiting on a daily basis (she got my PRS case last night, right in the locking clasps

a wife who smokes in the house

a 150-year-old house that produces more dust than a street sweeper.

I wish I could keep them out in a case. If I ever get divorced, I will.

I have hardshell cases for my main electric guitar and my main acoustic guitar. They are standing upright next to each other. My other three electric guitars and my bass each have a gig bag and are leaning against the wall, one in front of the other. I don't like leaving the guitars in the open so I always keep them in a closed case. I don't like the stands that hold multiple guitars. I was over a friends house and he had a stand that held three guitars (in a circle, not in a row). On the stand he had a $600 Washburn electric, an $1800 Gibson acoustic, and another one that I can't remember. All of the headstocks were way too close. I also didn't think it would balance well if you don't have all three guitars on there!

One rack that holds seven, and two individual stands for the bass and the Gretsch 5120 (that sucker is a little wide). The only one I keep in the case is my 35+ year old Ovation acoutic.

I like to have them out and grabable. Just exercise a little caution and you won't bang them together.

MIDI

MIDIman' date=' have you got any bigsby equipted ones in that rack? Any photos?[/quote']

No, Twig. The Gretsch is on the single stand now. but is WAS on the 7 guitar rack until I picked up the SG Prophecy and it fit just fine. That stand you have pictured is designed to use as a travel stand for gigs and it looks really tight as a result.

Here's a link to the one I am using. It folds up, but its more like a permanent rack and is a bit roomier. Hope this helps.

MIDI

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-7-Guitar-Folding-Stand-104983051-i1428225.gc

Back against the wall in this photo is my home-made PVC rack. It holds all ten of my instruments in their cases.

Butterflyside.jpg?t=1233698977

Left to right, behind the custom jumbo acoustic, Blues Jr, Jazzmaster Ultralight, and beyond the Green Bullet harp mic on the goose neck...two tweed cases holding a Fender Classic '50s Precision, a Fender Precision with a fretless Warmoth neck, a brown case with a Fender '51 Precision reissue, a tweed case with a '30s Regal resonator inside, a case with an '84 Dobro, the brown case that holds my ES-335, another with a Les Paul Deluxe inside, yet another with my Gibson SG, a space for the case on the floor that belongs to the guitar on the stand, and finally an original '74 Ventura hard case with a highly modified Ventura V6 Jumbo inside.

It took two 10' lengths of PVC, and a bag full of elbows, wide-angle ells, and lots of glue. Drawbacks: you have to carefully clean the joints before applying the glue, and the stuff doesn't hold paint. The whole thing is 5'2" long, and easily fits against an available wall; it projects out 2' 1" from the wall. It encourages keeping guitars in their cases, and eliminates the need to drill holes for hangers (important if you rent).

I like it because they are always ready to play.

that's one of the reasons i'm looking for a rack stand. I hate taking guitar by guitar from the hardcases. would be great to just pick any up from it and change whenever it feels like =D> you know what I mean.

I may operate differently from others. I play a variety of styles and instruments (acoustic and electric guitar, lap-style Dobro, harmonica and bass) so I generally pull something out of the rack when I have a specific project going on. When I played harp in the Big River musical put on by the local state U, all of the cases sat in their rack for about 3 weeks. When I played bass in a honky tonk band, usually only one bass was separated from the herd. This week I'm getting ready for a performance by the "Baptist Blues Band" at church Sunday, so I've got my open-tuned acoustic out. It's important to me to have them all in a compact enclosure so unused (for the nonce) instruments don't impinge on other things.

I have two of the 7 guitar stands. I have 7 electrics in one, and 3 acoustic/elec's in the other (with an empty space between each). If I kept them in their cases, they'd never get played. They're all in my office/music room and quite often I'll just grab one during the day for a few minutes or so & then put it back. You do have to be careful taking them in/out of the rack, but I've been using them for 6 months or so and no dings on any of the axes yet.

I actually have a very extensive collection, one of the largest on the planet... and I like them all to be accessible. You may have seen them, I keep them hanging on the walls of music stores across the world. Most of them are for sale... If you're interested in one, speak with one of my local caretakers, also known as store employees.

Just went and bought wall hangers today as a matter of fact. 1 Acoustic and 2 Electrics. Just hung them up right above the amps...let's hope that I am better with DIY jobs than Tim Taylor...I will let you know when I wake up tomorrow.

Archived