Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Piece Of Musical Gear

taxman

If the question had been "What is your best piece of gear for the money (bang for the buck)' date=' the nod would have to go to the '61 SG Epiphone from Japan. At $700, it was a steal.[/quote']

+1, there...Jeff. And, I'd have to add the "Riviera P-93LE" to that, as well as "exceeding one's

expectations," especially at that price point.

CB

Sticking with the gear concept' date=' I'd have to say it would be my Alvarez-Yairi acoustic guitar. It's definitely the guitar I play the most, and it has the sweetest sound out of all my guitars.[/quote']

I just bought a 1983 Alvarez DY-43 Acoustic Guitar. It is unbelievably nice sounding. In fact I never thought I'd own an acoustic flat top until I came across this one.

I can't name a favorite. I only own four guitars and each one was specifically chosen for some special characteristic: Gibson Johnny A, fender Tele American Deluxe, Fender Tele 72' reissue thinline with Hum buckers, and the Alvarez.

+1' date=' there...Jeff. And, I'd have to add the "Riviera P-93LE" to that, as well as "exceeding one's

expectations," especially at that price point.

CB[/quote']

LOL! The Riviera is definitely special. A 335-style guitar with 3 P-90s and a Bigsby? Seems to be the antithesis of what Gibson stands for, and more like a 3-PUP Gretsch contender.

Sticking with the gear concept' date=' I'd have to say it would be my Alvarez-Yairi acoustic guitar. It's definitely the guitar I play the most, and it has the sweetest sound out of all my guitars.[/quote']

One of the nicest acoustics I ever touched was a Yairi Dy62 signature series.

And it certainly left an impression, because it was at least 21 years ago that I tried it out in a store in

Omaha.

Even though I was being rushed and nagged at by one of those.. .. what do you call them..

you know.. quack quack quack waddle waddle waddle..

oh yah

girlfriends,

I was still immediately grabbed by the tone of this thing.

Played like nothing I'd ever been around.

I even plugged it in for a bit.. and I loved the dual piezos.

one for lower three, one for upper three.

It let me use picks, thumbick and fingernails, or just fingernails, and adjust balance between them so I could always get the bass strings right where I needed them for a particular tune or style.

Ever since then I've thought that's the way all acoustics ought to be electronically.

I could change anything right at the guitar, as easy as slipping the capo on or off, or changing from thumbpick to thumbnail.

And the darn thing sounded so good unplugged..

It was really sweet.

TWANG

I love it! Info please?

I just pulled it off the net. It was 6:30 this morning. I was hung over. The wife and I celebrated 36th anniversary last night. (40 years together) I was just trying to start the day with a smile.

(Maybe it's 40 years with the same woman that made me think of a rifle.)

Actually my favorite piece of equipment is my "73" Musicman amp. 410- 130 HD. Bought it when it was new. Anything

I ever plugged into it has sounded good. (ya gotta love tubes)

I have to do this in 3 categories: Guitar, Pedals and Amps, and Accesories

My Favorite Guitar is my '88 Stratocaster I've had since '89

My Favorite piece of electronics is my MXR 134 Chorus, and I'm not a big fan of the Chorus effect, but this ones very musical.

My favorite Accessory is my Dunlop 5010 Mic Stand Pick Holder. Makes me feel like a Rock Star............without groupies.

Archived