Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Strings ................ Argh!

wrighty3693

Have any of you guys noticed that some guitar string makes are very weak especially on the high E string. Snapped mine last night and i now have to travel for 45 minuites just to get some new sets although i may just be temped to get an entire setup done to lower the action. Sweep picking is difficult at the moment.

Any opinions on the best strings?

Obviously Ernie ball strings are up there, Gibson britwires have nice tone too. Had one set of dean markley strings, they wherent anything special but i had them in a super light 8 guage that i didnt like too much so i might be a bit prejadiced on that (sorry for spelling)

if your breaking strings a lot, check your saddles and make sure they dont have any machining burrs (file them smooth if needed.) Put pencil lead in the nut and try and get a little on the saddles if you change tuning a lot or have a bigsby kind of thing

Failing that try going up a string guage

Im currently swapping bettween D'Addarrio and Ernie Bal but they both have the same problem on 10 Guague. The Store Clerk grabbed some 9's and I didnt see the point too light not enough tone and break like cotton. I was look at the new Ernie Ball Tittanium Coated Strings any good?

I agree with the recommendation of going up a gauge... Try a set of 11s maybe. I use D'Addario 10 to 52 gauge on my Pauls, and I've never noticed any issues with excessive string breakage. Granted, I'm tuned down a whole step right now, but even when I was playing at standard pitch with 10 to 46 gauge strings, I had no issues. Might be a burr in the saddle, or in the nut... Does it always break in the same spot? If so, that's a good indicator. I'd take the guitar with you and have them check it out, especially if it's that far of a trip to get to the music store.

I make it a habit of a buying a extra e-string with every pack of strings. I use D'Addarios on all my guitars' date=' but I've had good luck with almost every brand or make. [/quote']

I do the same thing-sometimes a B string too.

I don't have a specific brand either. I'll use whatever is in the store that is the gauge I need.

To the original poster- does the e break consistently on this guitar? And if so, where? If at the bridge, you might have a saddle burr.

when i got my sheraton, 4 strings snapped while i was playing live (over 4 gigs)

not good, the bridge needed filing down, seems to habe worked.

was the same on my band mates dot as well.

now i make sure we've got about 3 complete sets betwen us.

and a few odd strings, e and b.

although if i lived 45 mins froma guitar shop id be stocking up

Only string I've broken in a year was the high e string when I first got my guitar - original factory strings ,have had no issues since going with aftermarket strings (D'Addarrios or Ernie Balls). Good advice has been given above - check yer saddles....

I play 10-46 strings hard and heavy handed. I bend constantly and frequently bend a tone and a half (3 frets) and I haven't broken a string in years. I do polish my bridge saddles when I get a new guitar. The last time I broke a string, it came unwound at the ball end. It didn't break at the saddle like most strings break.

String breakage usually occurs because of machining burrs and worn spots on the saddles. Fix these and use good strings and you will stop the problem. I change my strings when they lose their twang and begin to sound a little on the dead side. That is generally about every other week.

Where are they breaking ?

If its the top, you might have a sharp edge on that particular tuner.

If it's breaking along the neck, i'd check for rough surfaces on your frets.

I'm with everyone else here.....check your saddle,or tuner if its breaking high.

I've used Ernie Ball 10's (Regular Slinkys) for at least 20 of the 34 yrs. i've been playing

and never had one "just break" without a mechanical flaw causing it.

And believe me, I "ain't gentle" with my playing.

I use D'Addario 9s due to an injury to my pinky finger. I bend strings a lot when playing lead, I change my strings once per month, and I have never broken one on the gig. I do keep an extra set plus an extra E and B in my case

If you are breaking them in the same place, that could be a clue.

Notes

I make it a habit of a buying a extra e-string with every pack of strings. I use D'Addarios on all my guitars' date=' but I've had good luck with almost every brand or make. [/quote']

I bought a set of SIT strings the other day because the dealer was out of D'Addarios. They are the same price and since my dealer sells 2 for the price of 1, I picked the SITs to try along with the last set of D'Addarios. SIT stands for "Stay in Tune". They are nickel wound around a hex steel core and the winding is treated with some kind of bonding agent that cements the wrap. Each set comes with an extra E and B string, so you get 8 strings in the box.

I'll post the results when I change strings and put them on. I'm not really confident that there's much difference. They tell you to string up to tune, pull each string and retune twice and let them sit overnight to stabilze. It's a marketing gimmick, I'm sure. Most strings respond to that technique and stay closely in tune afterwards.

I've actualy had big problems with D'addario and EB. My main complaints with them are that the EBs just dont last (this is coming from someone who normally gets strings to sound good for 6 months or more)

And the D'addario strings always have some sort of wierd resonance on the G string. I dont know what it is, but every pack I have ever bought, be it Electric, Accoustic or Classical, always has the same "off sounding" G string.

My personal favorites are good ol' Boomers. Cheap, good sounding, and they last. If you really want good tone, get the boomers in the TNT (I think) veriety, light bottom, heavy top, in 10s. Sound absolutely amazing. And, I've never had a single one break.

Most strings seem to stabilize much quicker than they used to. I remember in years gone by the guitarist in the band changing the strings after the gig right before our day off (we were doing 6 nights a week then) so they would have time to stretch before the gig, and still have trouble the first day after the day off.

I change strings the day before the gig and never have a problem.

I suppose it is due to better manufacturing techniques.

Notes

Archived