Gibson Brands Forums

Best acoustic company

Guitar Chico

So guys what do you think? I don't really have too much of an opinion on the matter because I haven't played too many different acoustics (more of an electric guy) but I'll have to say Fender just cuz I just got a Fender CD60CE.

GC

BTW: If I missed a company or two, just tell me because those were just the ones I could think of off of my head.

Based on what I've played, I've been happier with a larger percentage of Martins than any other brand. I want the Gibson sound, also, but I have yet to find an instrument I'm entirely comfortable with.

I've never taken to Takamine guitars, either... One of my friends has an Alvarez, and it's quite nice. I think it had a neck break at one point, but it still played fine.

That said, my Fullerton is made by Aria, and for $100, I can't imagine finding a better guitar.

Overall, gotta go with Martin. There are both Gibson (CJ165/maple) and Epi (any Masterbilt) individual models that really float my boat better than any Martin, but for an overall acoustic range, nothing's got 'em beat.

And, yeah, Guild should definitely be on there. Breedlove, too, methinks. I fear, then, that one would also have to include Ovation.

You left out to many other makers for me to want to vote, as I am no fan of Martins or Taylors you pay more for the huppla of them then you often do for the playability of some of them, so I am going to vote for Epiphones and Washburns and then Yamaha's and of course boutique builders will always score first.Ship

Boutique guitars= hand made guitars and throw another shrimp on the barbie for me.Ship

Thanks for the definition, but I already know what a boutique guitar is, and if I didn't, there's always Google.

What I don't understand is how someone can say all boutique guitars are necessarily better. And it's not even relevant here. The question of this thread is "what's your favorite acoustic guitar COMPANY", not "which obscure craftsman made the best guitar in the whole world". LOL, to a question like that, there is no answer, and I doubt anyone would even care...

But now I'm curious. Which boutique guitar do you find to be the best? Are they really so much better than the countless high-end Gibsons, Martins, and Collings I'm sure you've played? Maybe you could elaborate for us?

IMO Squier and Aria shouldn't even be up there.

But one that should be is Washburn. I love my George Washburn acoustic. I think it sounds better than some $3000 Martins I've played.

Old Scratch there are to many builders that make not good but great guitars, and I would consider Collings boutique guitars and yes there are some great Gibson,Martins and others but fior the price point, I shouldn't have to dig through 10-20 to find one that sings out to me. When I go and pick up a $5000.00 guitar I want it to sound really good and be almost ready to go and earn some money. I don't want it spending a week in a luthiers shop.

But hey like so many of us it's just my opinion, one that no one else has to agree with, like it or don't there are a lot of great guitars out there and they all don't have high figures ( price tags ).Hope this answers youe question O.S.Ship

IMO Squier and Aria shouldn't even be up there.

But one that should be is Washburn. I love my George Washburn acoustic. I think it sounds better than some $3000 Martins I've played.

+1

You can't have a poll of this type and exclude Washburn and Yamaha.

You also missed out all the Godin companies' date=' such as Norman, Simon & Patrick, and Seagull...

[img']http://www.simonandpatrick.com/gtrscflm.jpg[/img]

Oh, and Ovation...

And Breedlove.

Other than that - good job! smileyvault-dunce.gif

For ME...Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Epiphone Masterbilt,....But, it really depends on the individual guitar, not on the brand!

As long as the build quality and materials are excellent, I don't think it makes much difference "brand wise," except in

"snob appeal," maybe? LOL!

CB

Don't really know as the newest acoustic I own was made in 1960.

I have pretty much lived on a steady diet of Gibson acoustics for the past 45 or so years (plus a Kay Kraft or two)

GUITARS002.jpg

But I would not list the modern-day version of the company at the top. They can make a very nice guitar - like the AJ - but as the saying goes, if ya want old school Gibson ton ya have to buy an old Gibson. Plus, consistency is not one of their stronger points.

If consistency is the mark of a great builder would have to be Taylor. Ain't my cup of tea when it comes to tone and feel though.

Collings would sure as heck be a strong contender for the title.

Hey Svet what kind of slope shoulder Epi is that one on the right' date=' and did you have the saddle swapped from a leftie to a rightie.Ship[/quote']

Hi SoF, that guitar is an Epiphone Masterbilt Aj 500r. I wish I had some exciting story to tell you regarding the bridge but that is actually stock. Here is a link to some information:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500R-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518103

Hey Svet what kind of slope shoulder Epi is that one on the right' date=' and did you have the saddle swapped from a leftie to a rightie.Ship[/quote']It's a Gibson-based model... Gibsons have always had "backwards" bridges compared the Martins. The rest are Martins or Martin-based designs.

I didn't vote. There are just to many choices out there that I havn't yet tried. But I must say I havn't tried any Gibson acoustic yet. I have tried more then a few Martins and I'm really not that impressed. I have tried a few Guilds and they sing beautifully. I own a Taylor 310 and I am more and more impressed with it every day. Alvarez/Yairi I find to be fantastic guitars and some at very affordable prices too. I bought my daughter a Yamaha FG730s for a steal and it has a well rounded sound that is bright and rich I play it more then she does, I love it. I find my DR500M to be a superb guitar at a fantastic price. Surely Ibanez must be added to the list I own a AW120RDV (Artwood) Sweet guitar it is. Anyhow all of the guitars I own I didn't break the bank on by any means, The things I look for when I buy a guitar is sound and feel they must go hand and hand. Looks are not important, i would like it to be a stunning looking guitar but as long as I can have beautiful sound and great feel/handling I'm a happy camper. On the poll well I'll vote when I'm done playing and trying out guitars but i just might be dead before that happens :-k

Archived