Gibson Brands Forums

Pick Guards

I generally prefer the look of a guitar with the PG on and if I don't like the colour I'd prefer to change it to one I do like rather than just take it off. Some guitars look great without one but I prefer a PG on my guitar for aesthetic reasons only.

I prefer the look of it with one on. Not only that, it's functional, it stops your finish from getting scratched to buggery. I play my guitars as much as the next guy, and realise that scratches happen, but I want to preserve the finish of my guitar as much as I can. Hell, you dob't go an buy a new car and lean all over it with a studded belt. It's the same principle for a guitar, you take care of it.

Unless of course it's already beat up, then to hell with it.

It's not always a pickguard. Sometimes it's a finger rest.

I play archtops with my thumb Wes-style. It's helpful to have a finger rest as an anchor point. But even using the pick, I leave them on. Change 'em to suit my taste, maybe. But they serve a purpose.

To me, guitars without pickguards are just missing something ... they look a bit naked. Funny how I don't seem to mind that neither of my Prophecy's don't have 'em though. Who knows ... may be a future project.

Jim

Guest icantbuyafender

If its got a finish that is "worn" like the dot studio, then I would deffinitely

put a PG on it to keep from gouging the wood, cause i send to strum hard.

Les Pauls get em for aesthetic reason, if they dont come stock, I add them, or at least the mounting holes just in case.

SG's have to have them.... the large '66 PG only if that is how it is originally outfitted...

Cause ya cant switch to the smaller one, the cavities and routed different

I prefer the smaller '62 PG, so when i modded a cheapy sg special i added the

smaller guard (THANKS TWANG!!!) and she's a looker and a growler!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and on my dot studio, thanks again to twang for a perfect PG!

bottomline, if it doesnt have one, I contact TWANG!

I like them for reasons already stated:

1) They protect the guitar

2) They serve as a finger rest

3) They look good

So if the guitar came with a pickguard, it stays (although I may change the color).

My LTD came without a pickguard, perhaps I'll investigate getting one made.

Notes

Seeing a pick guard on a guitar is something I grew up with. They look naked without them. I made a pick guard for my Vendetta that didn't come with one. It might not look right, but I don't scratch it either.

I have a guitar coming in a couple of months that is not going to have a pick guard. I'm learning to play without a pick.

It's not a hard rule with me; for example when I had a Samick Epi LP I pretty much parked the PG in the case. However for some reason I find that my Elitist just looks more Les Paulish with the PG on.

elitelp4.jpg

I'm currently debating whether or not to take the PG off my ES-335...

Archived