Gibson Brands Forums

HOLD YOUR HORSES! IT'S A 1959 PAULA!

JohnMcClane5000

This guy has been trying to sell this thing FOREVER. I think one of the main reasons why he can't (besides the fact that NOBODY has that kind of money laying around, especially now) is, he plainly states that the guitar has been REPAINTED, and then tries to justify it by adding "when it was in fasion to do so", which I'm assuming was sometime in the '70s. People don't care if it was "in fasion" or not, the bottom line is, the finish isn't original, so therefore the $400,000+ price isn't justifyable.

Plus the fact that the guy is a total crank. Ive had the displeasure of dealing with him before on ebay - even the "new" stuff he sells are actually factory seconds, which he doesnt mention in his ads unless the problem is obvious from the pics.

I wouldnt buy a thing from him, even if i DID have a squillion quid in the bank!

Four hundred thousand dollars for a guitar...IS THIS GUY NUTS?!?!? Them pickups look pretty new for something that old. Did you guys check out the "all original" '52 he has...with speed knobs? They made speed knobs in 1952????? No serial number? Even prototypes have some sort of identifier on them don't they? And if it's what he says it is, I'd think he'd be charging out the bazzootie for the '52 as well, and it's only (sic) 17 grand? No checking on the finish that I could see. Did the original owner buy this guitar in 1952 and stuff it under the bed knowing it'd be a collectible? And even if he did, there'd still be some kind of finish deterioration wouldn't there? I dunno. Sorry for the cynicism, but I aint buying this guys story. Uncovered PAFs, and a Bigsby? Did they put those on '59 Les Pauls? The finger sweat on the fretboard looks like hastily applied axle grease to me. I'll flip him 1000 bucks cuz it's ruined with the Bigsby.

THIS IS THE BEST PLAYER AND ALSO THE BEST SOUNDING INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD

I wonder how he deduced that. No wonder he is retiring. He must exhausted after all that testing.

Does anyone actually buy this stuff on eBay? It seems like every time I look at guitars on eBay all I find is overpriced junk with misleading descriptions. A refin at the asking price is way out of line. A friend in the business tells me that nobody's buying the actual authentic, original stuff for last year's prices -- meaning that a lot of guys are currently stuck with guitars that they can't sell for what they paid.

With the economy the way it is, I think putting ridiculously priced refinished or damaged or butchered instruments is going to die a natural death.

In any case, surfing eBay is a morose spectator sport for me -- I can't imagine buying anything there.

Such an ugly refinish... Way too red and yellow. 400'000 would be for one in superb condition, not some refinished guitar... I would rather buy a reissue. I don't think 400'000$ is justified for any guitar! For that money you could buy freaking 20 of the finest vintage guitars and a 59 reissue Les Paul.

Sorry mate, but no rich chap is gonna surf the 'bay for such a guitar. There's some 'serious' auctions for that :-({|=

JM

Guest icantbuyafender

This just makes my stomach churn.

a refinished "59" LP for 400000.... even if it was in immaculate condition, a refinished instrument wont fetch near that much.

Well' date=' the deal-breaker for me is that he is in UK and wants to be paid in person with nearly half a million dollars in cash. No way I'm going to put my wallet on a conveyor belt in the airport with $500,000 in cash in it.

[/quote']

I might have to buy a bigger wallet. A few hundred pushes the limit of what mine can hold.

Four hundred thousand dollars for a guitar...IS THIS GUY NUTS?!?!? Them pickups look pretty new for something that old. Did you guys check out the "all original" '52 he has...with speed knobs? They made speed knobs in 1952????? No serial number? Even prototypes have some sort of identifier on them don't they? And if it's what he says it is' date=' I'd think he'd be charging out the bazzootie for the '52 as well, and it's only (sic) 17 grand? No checking on the finish that I could see. Did the original owner buy this guitar in 1952 and stuff it under the bed knowing it'd be a collectible? And even if he did, there'd still be some kind of finish deterioration wouldn't there? I dunno. Sorry for the cynicism, but I aint buying this guys story. Uncovered PAFs, and a Bigsby? Did they put those on '59 Les Pauls? The finger sweat on the fretboard looks like hastily applied axle grease to me. I'll flip him 1000 bucks cuz it's ruined with the Bigsby.[/quote']

Yes Les Pauls came with speed knobs in '52, up until '57, I think. The custom came with bell knobs when it came out in 54. Factory Bigsbys were put on LPs and covers are easily removed. They started using cream bobbins in '59 due to a shortage of black plastic which is why you get zebra coils and sometimes double whites and it was quite fashionable to uncover the pups to expose the coils. It says that it was a refin so that's probably why it looks kinda new. The price is kind of out there for a refin but that's what they go for. Out of my price range by about 400K.

Don't you guys ever check out original LPs? Try taking a look at "The Beauty of the Burst" for a good lesson in original bursts, it is an excellent read. Even though I will never own one it was fun to drool and get an appreciation for the real thing.

Well' date=' the deal-breaker for me is that he is in UK and wants to be paid in person with nearly half a million dollars in cash. No way I'm going to put my wallet on a conveyor belt in the airport with $500,000 in cash in it.

[/quote']

A sane person would transfer the cash into his bank account. :-s

Archived