before this one i had a supreme but i find an add with an nature

81 preeovned by Jon Norum of Europe after playing that nothing

comperes

i stupidly thinks this guitar makes me a better player

so this one i can never change

the rest fenders and ibanez guitars are pensonaited on the wall

so i need realy only one guitar because i love this one

jonny jakobsen

You only have too many, when you think you have too many. I have over 40 and I still will add more. Its great to pick up a different one all the time or when different people show up for jam night (3 days a week) they all have a few to pick from. You Know it it seems that at least for me, all the ones that I paid the least for sound and play the best.

Ok fellow forumites... I say we storm his place and claim the 12 stringged SG!

Just kidding man' date=' but you gotta admit it would be lots of fun! [-X [/quote']

or we'll have lynyrd run in and trip the security system and get zapped by who knows what. THEN we walk in. haha

Interesting comments - I think it depends on your individual situation which includes different things like financial means and storage ability and even spouse's feelings. I have way too many guitars for any logical arguments (40+) that said I also have a very large studio in my primary home and a small home studio in my vacation place. I would never use credit too buy a guitar or gear now and don't duplicate the same guitar just be because I can. thats kind of my rules and they change sometimes but I would never make the family suffer or do without just so I could buy a guitar. I had fewer guitars when I was actively playing and recording then decided that I would make a lot more money in tech world than in music and now I only gig 2-3 times a month, record a couple more times and rarely practice anymore. I even collect some just to collect and think it makes a lot more sense than wine or cars or even boats like other men collect and dump their disposable income into.

I make decent money, as do all my coworkers and most of my friends.

They just smile and shake their head at my "guitar habit" and comment that I spend "alot of money" on guitars.

What kind of habits do they have to dump money in?

Best friend bought a $40,000 diesel 4x4 pickup so he could pull his new 32 foot travel trailer.

Both have depreciated to less than half their value, and he's still making payments.

Both of us are private pilots, but I haven't flown in four years - too busy buying guitars!

Lotsa guys I work with have new Vettes, or Harleys, or Jet Ski's, or ski boats, or sand rails, or quads.

They put $50,000 swimming pools in their back yards, and it adds $10,000 to their home value.

I never smoked, seldom drink, I don't even drink coffee.

I wear clothes from Wal Mart, buy my trucks used, and have no credit card debt.

When I was single, I didn't date much because I hated spending money on women I didn't know.

My only vice is playing the lottery when it gets large enough. I can afford a few guitars and guns...

I make decent money' date=' as do all my coworkers and most of my friends.

They just smile and shake their head at my "guitar habit" and comment that I spend "alot of money" on guitars.

so I can afford a few guitars and guns...[/quote']

man the nuge always knows how to make things so i can understand

=D

or we'll have lynyrd run in and trip the security system and get zapped by who knows what. THEN we walk in. haha

LMFAO!

Hell of a preemptive strike... sending the kid to trigger whatever neo has in store for us...

Imagine he manages to get inside... and to get out... and when he shows us what he stole we se the melody maker...

AXE: "kid, I told you to go for the thing with 12 strings... is that so difficult? now get in there and dont get out till you have it" ... "on second thought, I'll just kill you myself and get over with this..." (AXE gets the kid out of his mysery and then proceeds to storm the place singlehandedly).

I've got 35 electrics right now (only 3 Gibsons) & there's at least 6 more Gibsons (not to mention other brands) that I desire. Chanman, I'm with you. During the 17 years I played professionally I never owned more than 2 guitars at the same time. I will say, however, that they were ALWAYS Gibsons.

I agree with retrosurfer. As long as you are not going into debt, or starving yourself to collect guitars, then go nuts. One of my friends has a rule that only allows him to buy guitars from the money he makes playing them. It is really about what works best for each individual. It's all about self-control and discipline. I can tell you that I didn't add a single guitar that cost over $300 to my collection until about 8 years ago when I started to work full-time after college.

At present, I have 8 guitars, 3 of which are Les Pauls, so I am quite content for the time being. However, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll pick up another guitar or two over the course of the next few years when I start to look for new sounds that fit my playing style.

i do not think there is a such thing as too many unless they are the exact same guitar. obviously you aren't refinancing the house to feed the habit.

as for the depreciation. if you buy good guitars (LP's) there isn't a whole lot. you will either take a small hit selling it or you make a profit. in most cases the small hit will be easily absorbed by the amount of joy you got out of it.

either way you win!

.........now i need the wife to see this! you having 20 may have just helped me get another. i currently own 3 (1 LP)

now i need the wife to see this! you having 20 may have just helped me get another.

You need to hook her up with my wife!

Actually, I'm a very lucky man. I don't need to look around to see that, I've been married before - more than once!

My wife sees I use only cash, and she patiently allows me to explain my rationale for making the purchase.

The fact that they are always "pretty" helps.

Don't laugh, if your wife thinks the guitar is ugly she will NOT understand (or care) why you are spending money on it.

I'll admit, I bought most of my cool stuff before we got married - just to be on the safe side....

Too many is when you can't or don't play them all regularly (unless you have a 'collectors piece' which you won't touch). I guess 'regularly' is relative, but you know what I mean.

But that doesn't mean you're still not sick in the head or a materialistic bastard for owning so many!!! ;-)

My wife is supportive of me buying guitars, as long as it comes after everything else (expenses, bills, savings, and occasionally buying her something nice). She also understands it as a valuable investment and as I'm working towards being a professional musician, it is a 'business expense' to some degree and just happens to be my hobby. I usually end up buying one nice guitar (Gibson, duh) a year and flipping a few cheaper ones for profit. I'm sure if we had more income that would change though.

She definitely has to approve of the guitars I buy though. She has loved them all so far and it nearly broke her heart when I had to sell my Reverse V. She WILL NOT let me buy a Firebird, claiming they are "ugly." I tried explaining to her that they are just Explorers with round edges, but she had none of it. Oh well.

LMFAO!

Hell of a preemptive strike... sending the kid to trigger whatever neo has in store for us...

Imagine he manages to get inside... and to get out... and when he shows us what he stole we se the melody maker...

AXE: "kid' date=' I told you to go for the thing with 12 strings... is that so difficult? now get in there and dont get out till you have it" ... "on second thought, I'll just kill you myself and get over with this..." (AXE gets the kid out of his mysery and then proceeds to storm the place singlehandedly).[/quote']

the MM haha! that was awesome man.

I told you to get the thing with 12 strings. Lynyrd: this doesn't???

Axe walks in and sees Cuda holding the 12 string with his ginormous dog. all he says is "sick balls". Lol if you've seen "Stand By Me" you'll know what that means...

i think if you love listening to music and love playing music there is no greater pleasure than finding that right tone for a song you wrote or mastering that sound and riff that makes a classic rock song so great.

so having those guitars that give you those sounds then becomes imperative. non-musicians don't understand.

just don't go broke and never buy a guitar just to have one. buy a guitar to play it!

I am set for a while and although I used to feel I had too many guitars I don't feel that way anymore.

All of my 7 guitars are significantly different from each other. Last I bought was my Explorer and I think I will be happy for a while, I still GAS over other guitars but not nearly as much. Not enough to pull the trigger anyway.

At this point if I buy gear it would be on amplification....that Mesa-Boogie Express 5:25 1x12 combo is always in the back of my mind...

You guys have some seriously nice guitars! Only just got myself my 1st LP after months of deliberating!

So far, my total is...

LP BFG

Squire Strat

Epi LP Special

Epi SG x 2

Commodore Flying V - disgraceful I know! Plays like a pig and sounds awful. Just looks cool!

That's plenty for me, but who knows? Only had my proper Gibson for a couple of months and already half an eye on others....

Archived