Gibson Brands Forums

Oiling your fingerboard..

SamBooka

I was cleaning up an acoustic I was selling to a friend. Scraped all the crud off the fb and then oiled from 7-21st frets with Guitar Honey (Gerlitz). Frets 1-5 were Circa 1860 Lemon Oil.

As far as feel, absorption rate and appearance go I could not see any difference. Really.. I tried really really hard and could not tell one from the other.

+ for Guitar Honey: It doesnt smell as strong as Lemon Oil.

+ for Lemon Oil : costs about 1/10th the price of Guitar Honey and you can get it at most hardware stores.

It has been a long time since I tried woodwind bore oil so I will compare that one next (it is even more expensive than Guitar Honey). I dont remember if I tried Tung oil but apparently it is a nono for people with nut allergies so I dont think it is even in the running.

Just saying

I like Boiled Lindseed Oil.

Red 333

MMMMM... Great over French Fries and Nachos!

I use "old English" Lemon oil - wipe on thick, let soak for

a couple of mins, then wipe off and buff fretboard.

+1 on Linseed oil.

Most good fretboard oils have linseed oil as a base but cover the obnoxious odour with some lemon scent.

Most "Lemon oils" don't contain any lemon at all.[biggrin]

It allways surprises me how little oil is needed for a fretboard. I think I use 2 drops to cover a whole fretboard. You definitely don't want to soak the fretarea in oil.

I'll go with the lemon oil but the type you get from the essential oil places where it is concentrated, just add a couple of drops of this to a few more drops of boiled linseed oil to get the best results and a nice smelling fret board. Goes a long way for the size of bottle, 5cc.

Count me in as a +1 on Boiled linseed oil. I bought a quart at a hardware store a couple years ago and I know this stuff will last me a lifetime. You only need a few drops and really should only do it if necessary. (At most once a year.) Typically the oils from your fingers does a fine job of keeping the board in good shape, but if you run across an old guitar that has not been played in years, Boiled Linseed oil will bring the life right back. As a side note, most of my buddies that are hunters, also use Boiled linseed oil on their gun stocks. Taylor guitars also recommends boiled linseed oil for fretboards even though an ebony board that is on most Taylor's needs it even less than a Rosewood board. And although I am sure most of us know this...... DO NOT TRY TO OIL A GLOSSY MAPLE FRETBOARD LIKE ON A STRAT!!!

use care with linseed oil........it can, and will, spontaneously combust if it drys into a rag or towel.

I thought the printed label warnings were just "C.M.A." on the mfgr's. part, until my rag bin (in my gunsmith shop) went up in smoke.........luckily, I had just stepped in for the morning and all was not lost.

I dont remember if I tried Tung oil but apparently it is a nono for people with nut allergies so I dont think it is even in the running.

Tung oil is a varnish. Although, I've been tempted to try using it on a fretboard just to see what it would be like...like how Rickenbacker varnishes their rosewood boards. Probably a bad idea.

I been using mineral oil (12 oz) from Bed Bath and Beyond that I bought for $5. I originally purchased it to condition my wood cutting board but later read that it's good for fretboards as well.

Please please please' date=' it is called conditioning the fretboard.

You a parttime hairdresser? [biggrin]

They invented "Conditioners" for people who think they need anything else but a dry cloth to wipe the fretboard down after playing, and maybe an oiling once a year.

You got crud buildup? Just scrape the excess off with an old creditcard, and proceed with the cloth and the oil.

Geez, what's next? Handlotion for the discriminating guitarplayer?

Yes, about once a year, when changing strings, I'll use 0000 steel wool (cover pickups with tape) to clean the fretboard and polish the frets. Then I use a small amount of the fretboard oil from stewmac, applied with a small, clean rag. After about 5 minutes, I'll wipe off any that hasn't been absorbed, then buff.

Archived