Gibson Brands Forums

iPads - anyone got one?

Mr. Robot

My mom bought one, she loves it. She had planned on getting a laptop, but she was only going to use it for browsing the web really. She saw the iPad, liked that she could have apps, and that it's touch screen, it works for her.

Personally, unless you want an add on to your computer, I wouldn't get it.

I'm a Mac person. I have an iPod, iPhone, and an iMac. That being said, I think this comic is pretty accurate as far as how Mac markets their stuff...

Me too, that being said, the iPad seems pointless. Spend your money on a windows laptop, or if you want Apple stuff, a few hundred more for a Macbook.

I'm a PC guy, a Microsoft user and thus went the Zune 2nd Gen 80gb route...only to get a screwing by the Zune's lack luster marketplace and even worse support.

I chucked my Zune in a box and went and got the 3rd gen iPod Touch 64 and it has become the most useful mobile media player I've owned/used.

I'm not a Mac'er but I do have to admit that Apple got it right with the mobile mp3 device, the rest will always be rushing to try and keep up.

The iPad just looks like a jumbo iPod Touch, I think it's kind of cool but I have no need for one because I have my iPod and a PC Netbook.

Yep I have a Ipad and use it all the time. one of the coolest new tech Toys in years. It's great for web surfing, games, watching movies on Itune and netflick as well as email and the forum and with a new adapter on the way I'm gonna play and record guitar directly into it.

Edit - oh and it's also the best ebook every made with great backlighting and easy downloads.

I'm not throwing my cents into apple product debates anymore. It's love hate. I have a Macbook, it's alright but I could live without it. Not everyone who owns mac stuff is some hipster A-hole who can't stop talking down to you about how awesome it is, but really if there's more than one of those people it's too much anyway.

How well would it have sold do you think, if it didn't have (i) infront of it and wasn't advertised by apple, but was the exact same product by another company, hmm?

I have an iPhone...that's is far as I'm going. I dig my Zune HD for music, Micro$oft could have hit a homerun with this device, but It seems they are letting it die on the vine. I love it as a device, but I'll be damned if I buy another one [cursing]

I'm not throwing my cents into apple product debates anymore. It's love hate. I have a Macbook, it's alright but I could live without it. Not everyone who owns mac stuff is some hipster A-hole who can't stop talking down to you about how awesome it is, but really if there's more than one of those people it's too much anyway.

How well would it have sold do you think, if it didn't have (i) infront of it and wasn't advertised by apple, but was the exact same product by another company, hmm?

That's the question - other companies have made tablets, and none have been successful. Is the iPad successful because it's Apple, or because of how Apple has designed it?

I don't have one, but will probably get one eventually. Probably when the second generation model is released (which I assume will be spring), I'll get one. Money is preventing me from buying one now. It's small, it's light. I have a computer, and I have a smartphone, but I don't want to carry my computer around all the time, and when I do, I use it for the Internet. I have my phone, but it's small and uncomfortable for any extended use.

The way I see it (and the way I practice, to an extent), the phone is for small things - looking up numbers and addresses, etc. The iPad is for light web browsing and games away from home. A notebook computer is for people who need a full computer, but in a portable package. A desktop is for those who need the extra power it can provide.

If I had my way, I'd have a Mac Pro at home for daily work - from web browsing to music and film editing. I'd also have a MacBook Pro that would have a mirrored hard drive - so the same data is on both computers. There are times I need to do things outside of home, but want access to the same system. Below that, I'd have an iPad for entertainment when I'm not carrying the MacBook Pro (which is most days). I'd also have a smartphone (iPhone or not - I have a Palm Pre Plus that I love right now) for phone and light data.

A lot of people I know are working the same way - a desktop at home, or a notebook they only bring out on occasion, a netbook, and a phone (smartphone or not). I'm not a netbook fan, so I won't go that route.

If I could find the software that would mirror the hard drives on two Macs, I'd buy a MacBook for the radio station. There are a lot of times we want to do remote broadcasts (this is a college station), but we can't take the station computer out. I end up using my own computer, but we lose access to all of the music in the station. It doubles the number of people we need to run events.

Archived