Gibson Brands Forums

Rate Youself

Rocky4

I didn't say it was important but when it became all the rage it just wasn't my style.

I'm not getting the D n D reference though maybe you could elaborate.

It wasn't mine either, and I was a teenager int he 80's, it was supposed to be my thing. [unsure]

Anyway, the way you averaged you numbers out into one stat was very D&D-esque, but if you didn't play then I really can't explain and you wouldn't want to learn how to build a character and then how to average you your ability stats and Yadayadayada......

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't mine either, and I was a teenager int he 80's, it was supposed to be my thing. [unsure]

Anyway, the way you averaged you numbers out into one stat was very D&D-esque, but if you didn't play then I really can't explain and you wouldn't want to learn how to build a character and then how to average you your ability stats and Yadayadayada......

Oh lol. No never played. Always hated games and board games was the worst. Its just to hard to rate yourself. I played out this weekend and was really on. I felt I could've played with anybody and held my own. Other days it's just forced and I wanna put the guitar down and walk away. I've been playing now for 37 years and I never can walk away.

Oh lol. No never played. Always hated games and board games was the worst. Its just to hard to rate yourself. I played out this weekend and was really on. I felt I could've played with anybody and held my own. Other days it's just forced and I wanna put the guitar down and walk away. I've been playing now for 37 years and I never can walk away.

That's why I don't think guitarist, or any sort of artist should rate themselves. We're way to critical to be fair. The audience, on the other hand, is in the perfect situation to judge the music.

A local Bar owner put it in perspective for me, he told me "Musicians are always worried about having a 'Less Than Great' night, the people loved it, they stayed and drank, we made tips, you made tips. That's good enough." He was right, too. If you stink, they leave. If you have an off night and they stay, you're probably really good.

Way off-topic, but...

I like D&D.

A little more on-topic:

I've been in my college dorm for less than a week now. I tend to play the guitar at least a little bit every night (usually just some noodling around, maybe playing a song or two.) Anyway, so far I've had two people come up to me and let me know that they thought my playing sounded really great. Mind you, these were unsolicited opinions (i.e. I didn't ask them to tell me how I sounded,) one of which came from another musician (a saxophonist,) and the other which came from a girl who was pretty cute, if I do say so myself. [smile] I suppose I'm not the worst player in the world.

Rhythm- 5 maybe

Leads- How low can you go? I suck at solos, working on it, but it's bad...

I love playing blues, and the dirtier the better. Old Black Keys stuff, I still need to record some of my newer songs I wrote... hopefully should be up this week.

It's just fun to me. If I can get someone else to actually like the crap I do, I'm on Cloud 9 [thumbup]

In addition, why the hell do we rate ourselves, or why is it a competition? I don't see how people can be compared IMO

I agree with firstmeasure. It's tough to rank yourself. You can come off as a jerk or as having

false humility (or on the $, for that matter). I believe the audience can certainly judge you better, IMHO.

I believe a better thread would be "how would you rate your fellow forum members?". You could give Kudos, offer

constructive criticism, tell them they suck (LOL, just kidding). Like my momma always used to say, "if you

can't say nothing nice...." Seriously though, many guys and gals have posted their stuff here so why not

tell each other how they would rate? If enough say, for example that you're good, that's a pretty consistent

indicator. If one says you're EVH on steroids and another says you could benefit from using more than 2 fingers

for tapping, then you know there's a discrepancy.... Anyway, it's all subjective anyway, but that's

just my 1.9889930 cents woith.

That's why I don't think guitarist, or any sort of artist should rate themselves. We're way to critical to be fair. The audience, on the other hand, is in the perfect situation to judge the music.

A local Bar owner put it in perspective for me, he told me "Musicians are always worried about having a 'Less Than Great' night, the people loved it, they stayed and drank, we made tips, you made tips. That's good enough." He was right, too. If you stink, they leave. If you have an off night and they stay, you're probably really good.

Its true. I've had nights where me and the band were just awful. I mean harmonies off, missed beats, flubbed notes and the audience never noticed and just had a blast . I couldn't believe the were still there for the last set.

I have found that no matter what, if the bands having a great time then the crowd will also.

Those who don't play think I'm great. Those who play well think I suck. The truth is that I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

Same here. Actually I figure I'm about a 4, but about twice a year I'll be able to play at a higher level for reasons unknown. I wish I could tap into why.

I agree with firstmeasure. It's tough to rank yourself. You can come off as a jerk or as having

false humility (or on the $, for that matter). I believe the audience can certainly judge you better, IMHO.

I believe a better thread would be "how would you rate your fellow forum members?". You could give Kudos, offer

constructive criticism, tell them they suck (LOL, just kidding).

I like the idea but i have a feeling that wouldn't go over very well here lol!! I'd love to hear feedback on my playin!

Were you more the lawful good type or chaotic evil? :-"

Edit: There's a problem with the Whistling Smiley [cursing]

I'd love to hear feedback on my playin!

I'll oblige

You're great writer, and you have an excellent feel for laying down tasty rythm tracks. One of your best attributes is you're not self indulging [thumbup] .... You stay within yourself.

I would like to see you be more assertive in writing your own lead solos... But other than that you would be the perfect band mate.

I'll oblige

You're great writer, and you have an excellent feel for laying down tasty rythm tracks. One of your best attributes is you're not self indulging [thumbup] .... You stay within yourself.

I would like to see you be more assertive in writing your own lead solos... But other than that you would be the perfect band mate.

Hey wow! Thanks Duane!

That's nice to hear...i'm very much a rhythm player but I have found myself enjoying trying out soloing a but more lately. More stuff is "stickin"....

I dunno about perfect band mate...i'm always drunk and mean and I don't let anyone else change my riffs! (Just kiddin!!)

Thanks man...I appreciate the words!

Hey wow! Thanks Duane!

That's nice to hear...i'm very much a rhythm player but I have found myself enjoying trying out soloing a but more lately. More stuff is "stickin"....

I dunno about perfect band mate...i'm always drunk and mean and I don't let anyone else change my riffs! (Just kiddin!!)

Thanks man...I appreciate the words!

Can I have your autograph? [-o<

slideshow_1299506_ScreamingFan.JPG

I think the point of entertaining is most appropriate.

One's guitar skills are not unimportant, but...

For example, I just got asked to do some kid song singalongs for a benefit run by the city-operated after school program that very much needs some extra cash.

It's gonna take about 1 percent of my guitar playing skills and 99 percent of effort to smile and have a bunch of kids from kindergarten through fourth grade singing along. Sheesh, that's the hard part since I'm just a grouchy old man.

I think a lotta the time, even with an older audience in a saloon, we make an error in terms of thinking of ourselves as guitar players and not so much as "entertainers," which is why somebody gives us money to be there in the first place.

m

Cookieman...

Hmmmmm. Actually I ain't done "Mary had a little lamb" in more than 40 years. But... <grin> Let's see, one could do a pure jazz version, a bluegrass version, and a pretty hard rock version rather easily. <chortle>

Seriously, I think the old Woody Guthrie "Car Car" may be an excellent choice with just a folkie "bump-shush" sorta guitar work.

Kids think anything is neat - especially if there's a "fun" environment established.

On the other hand... with the latter as a foundation, so does everyone else.

m

Archived