Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitar- which one!?

morty

Sounds like a low budget for a Taylor... but they're great guitars. My top picks would be Taylor, Martin & Gibson. But look at Fender and Epiphone if you want an inexpensive but quality acoustic. I was gunning for an Epiphone, and wound up with a maple-body Fender that I love and see no reason to upgrade.

In that price range you are probably going to get the best value for money if you get a used acoustic. If that was my budget I would try to find something that was structurally sound and a good player, and not worry too much about what it looks like. You might find a used American Guild in that price range.

Alternatively, it might be a good decision to hold off a little while save some more money and get something a bit better a little while in the future.

Most likely if you get a budget model now you will grow out of it quickly and it's resale value will be poor.

Try a Breedlove.

Craig

+1

Great guitars "for the money". Still want a $3K Martin or Gibson or Taylor but who doesn't?

Mine was I believe $899 GC priced that I bought on sale for $649. On board tuner and piezo. You only get a gig bag though. Hardshell is extra.

are washburn made in the US, thanks

No.

Washburn is one of those companies whose name means very little.

They've been bought/sold/merged and had guitars built under license in every Third World country you can name.

They aren't like Gibson, Martin, Taylor with dedicated production facilities.

Heck, their mailing address has probably changed half a dozen times.

Not to say they never made some decent stuff at a good price, or can't do it now.

In the eighties, they were well-regarded for the money.

IF you're shopping based on price tags, don't let the brand name steer you too much.

Look for build quality and solid wood.

I've seen solid Spruce tops in $200 acoustics lately.

(Not sure they're worth the money though...)

Morty...

Okay, here's the iconoclast again.

If you've been playing electric pretty much exclusively, you may be well-served by a 100-150 sort of guitar.

Yeah, they're not all that great, although some can play very well indeed. They have no resale value, but at that price, who cares?

Here's the deal: They get you started thinking a different sort of technique and concept and you can haul them to barbecues and whatever without the concern of a "better" guitar.

Were you asking about a "pro" guitar 'cuz you've been playing acoustic a while, I'd say something else, but frankly an Epi acoustic or entry EA may be the better choice for low-mid range - even then, you have a real guitar in your hands you may not wish to lose. So if you have a chance to play at a guitar store (as in GC or via Web, MF) cheapie or order one, you will have a pretty decent generic thing to learn a different kind of playing with the virtue of being a "go to yard party" thing.

I do think some low-end Epis could be among the better choices. Epiphone DR-100 goes for $100 from MF, for example.

m

Sounds like a low budget for a Taylor... but they're great guitars. My top picks would be Taylor, Martin & Gibson. But look at Fender and Epiphone if you want an inexpensive but quality acoustic. I was gunning for an Epiphone, and wound up with a maple-body Fender that I love and see no reason to upgrade.

Definitely....but at 400 pounds you may not get an American made guitar.....look at used acoustics and you may have a better chance at getting an American made acoustic.

Gibson has a lower range acoustic made in Canada...for around $1000 USD.....I'm not sure how much that is in pounds.

Archived