Gibson Brands Forums

Could I REALLY die doing this?

Dub-T-123

I've been having a problem with the ac30 for about a month and a half.

I was playing it and all the sudden the sound just slowly faded away. Like a fade out at the end of a song. It would be pretty cool if it didn't totally suck.

So I looked at the tubes (with the power on) and noticed all of the tubes but one were glowing. I narrowed the problem down to that tube. So I turned it off and let the tubes cool down and then I took the vent off and wiggled the tube gently to see if I could just sort of re-seat it. It worked and the amp worked fine.

Then one day I turned the power on and waited for the tubes to warm up. I hit the standby switch and the little green light didn't turn on. No sound. So I'm thinkin ok I'll just wiggle the tube around a little bit again.

So I popped the vent off again and felt the tube to see if it would melt my fingers. It didn't melt my fingers so I wiggled it around and the amp came back to life. I did this with the power on.

So this has become sort of a regular thing now. If the little green light doesn't come on, it's time to start wiggling. I do it with the power on so I can see if it works right away.

So do you think I'll die from this? If I did get electrocuted would it be like sticking my finger in a lightbulb socket jolt stuff or like bam my freakin heart explodes and my hair bursts into flames stuff?

I've done like everyday for a while and nothings happened. But everyones always talking about how dangerous that kindof stuff is.

I've been having a problem with the ac30 for about a month and a half.

I was playing it and all the sudden the sound just slowly faded away. Like a fade out at the end of a song. It would be pretty cool if it didn't totally suck.

So I looked at the tubes (with the power on) and noticed all of the tubes but one were glowing. I narrowed the problem down to that tube. So I turned it off and let the tubes cool down and then I took the vent off and wiggled the tube gently to see if I could just sort of re-seat it. It worked and the amp worked fine.

Then one day I turned the power on and waited for the tubes to warm up. I hit the standby switch and the little green light didn't turn on. No sound. So I'm thinkin ok I'll just wiggle the tube around a little bit again.

So I popped the vent off again and felt the tube to see if it would melt my fingers. It didn't melt my fingers so I wiggled it around and the amp came back to life. I did this with the power on.

So this has become sort of a regular thing now. If the little green light doesn't come on, it's time to start wiggling. I do it with the power on so I can see if it works right away.

So do you think I'll die from this? If I did get electrocuted would it be like sticking my finger in a lightbulb socket jolt stuff or like bam my freakin heart explodes and my hair bursts into flames stuff?

I've done like everyday for a while and nothings happened. But everyones always talking about how dangerous that kindof stuff is.

As long as you don't touch anything but the glass tubes you're okay, however you can get into trouble if you touch a wire or the wrong spot on a PCB. The plate voltages on the tubes are around 300V - that might kill you - The really dangerous part of amps is that the capacitors in the power supply can stay charged after the amp is turned off. That could zap you even if it's unplugged. I once accidentally discharged a power capacitor on a solid state amp and it drilled a hole right through a 1/4 cast aluminum heat sink! BTW, the oil from your skin can cause hot spots on the tubes and potentially shorten their life.

All I touched was that one tube and the little spring collar that holds it down.

Think the problem is the socket that the tube plugs into. Any way I can easily fix that? Should I try some contact cleaner or something?

I really don't have the money to send it to a tech. The problem seems fairly simple. At least I know where the problem is.

Thanks for the info

Get some contact cleaner from an electronics store and spray it on both the pins on the tube and in the socket. Seat and reseat the tube a couple times. That should take care of any corrosion. If the socket is going bad, that would need a tech if you're not good at soldering. If you can look at the socket see if there are any loose wires or bad solder joints. Before you poke around too much make sure the amp has been turned off and unplugged for at least an hour - that should allow the power caps to bleed down naturally although overnight would be safer. You might go to the Vox website and poke around the forums there. I don't think you're the first one to have this problem.

Get some contact cleaner from an electronics store and spray it on both the pins on the tube and in the socket. Seat and reseat the tube a couple times. That should take care of any corrosion. If the socket is going bad, that would need a tech if you're not good at soldering. If you can look at the socket see if there are any loose wires or bad solder joints. Before you poke around too much make sure the amp has been turned off and unplugged for at least an hour - that should allow the power caps to bleed down naturally although overnight would be safer. You might go to the Vox website and poke around the forums there. I don't think you're the first one to have this problem.

Even if its the socket is going bad, i wouldnt trust my self fixing it!

An amp is at least 10 times more complaicted then a guitar.

Even if its the socket is going bad, i wouldnt trust my self fixing it!

An amp is at least 10 times more complaicted then a guitar.

Actually, dem00n speaks with the wisdom of many m00ns. A tube amp can be a very dangerous piece of equipment. If you want to work on it yourself, talk to someone who really understands how to do that kind of stuff first. There are rules to working on tube amps that you have to follow in order to avoid grilling yourself.

Actually, dem00n speaks with the wisdom of many m00ns. A tube amp can be a very dangerous piece of equipment. If you want to work on it yourself, talk to someone who really understands how to do that kind of stuff first. There are rules to working on tube amps that you have to follow in order to avoid grilling yourself.

+1.

We'd miss you 'round here, Dub..............

The most important thing to do when you're sticking your hand into an amp. Keep your other hand (and the rest of your body) from touching the amp or anything grounded. Keep your other hand in your pocket or somewhere else so you don't touch anything grounded.

[thumbup]

+1

keep the current from going through your chest, in a worst case scenario. Do not BE the path of least resistance...

better yet, if in any doubt, take it to a pro. it is surprising to some how little voltage can kill you, and how much is in that amp.

Now there's a brutal thought. [scared]

But, if current did somehow travel from hand in amp to hand in pocket, it will likely have already gone through your heart: you probably won't even notice...

seriously though, it is a good safety rule. you're less likely to be the "wire" in a short circuit, so to speak.

Archived