Gibson Brands Forums

bacon and brown sauce sandwich?

S t e v e

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmmm.....

Over where I live, I tend toward a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. Grill the bacon first, butter the two slices of bread on all four sides, put in some cheddar and the bacon and grill it. Mmmmmm.

Never heard of your brown sauce...

m

there's only really one thing Ive found you can't trust the English for and thats a food recommendation. I had a English secretary for 15 years, i would trust her with my life but don't let her bring lunch - And just a heads up but cucumber isn't a sandwich filling ever.

I spent three weeks traveling around England beautiful country great people and usually some of the worst food Ive ever eaten. I was dying for good Mexican food and Pizza when I got back. Everything was bland mixed together and over cooked, Fish and chips and Bangers and Mash or whatever they call the sausages were ok at best. And Beef Wellington for such a famous sounding meal was just horrid.

there's only really one thing Ive found you can't trust the English for and thats a food recommendation. I had a English secretary for 15 years, i would trust her with my life but don't let her bring lunch - And just a heads up but cucumber isn't a sandwich filling ever.

I spent three weeks traveling around England beautiful country great people and usually some of the worst food Ive ever eaten. I was dying for good Mexican food and Pizza when I got back. Everything was bland mixed together and over cooked, Fish and chips and Bangers and Mash or whatever they call the sausages were ok at best. And Beef Wellington for such a famous sounding meal was just horrid.

+1 on English people and cuisine. Great people, not so great indigenous cuisine. Apologies to all the queens subjects on the board if this turns into English food flame thread. I really do love to visit! And for the uninitiated, English bacon is more akin to what Americans would call Canadian bacon.

Well...

I'll be the first to confess to being something of an Anglophile. Don't get me wrong, given the history of stuff, I'm sure I would have been a militia volunteer as was one of my direct ancestors in the 1770s unpleasantness. OTOH, it's equally obvious to me that to this day, "common law" remains the basis of most U.S. states' legal system. (Louisiana is the exception, by the way, and today even it has overtones of the "English" system.)

But yeah, there must be something about the island climate near Europe that brought some ... interesting ... concepts of cooking.

I'd add that anyone experienced in Scandinavian "cuisine" might have similar thoughts about such as lutefisk and lefse. Especially the former. <grin>

Okay, I'll admit it: I'm a very traditional "American" meat and potatoes guy with an odd penchant toward Korean beef and rice dishes.

m

On the subject of foods I've never tried, I really would like to have poutine someday.

Get yourself to Quebec ASAP. Poutine is the best thing after Belgian pome frits. Especially after a few beers. Speaking of that, Montreal has no idea how good they have it. So many tasty beers and they are all local.

Archived