Gibson Brands Forums

bacon and brown sauce sandwich?

S t e v e

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know the UK is the land of boiled meats.

LOL, that pretty much says it all! Has anyone ever heard of an English restaurant?! Chinese, Italian, Mexican, French, etc., but fine English cuisine? Never.

I'm pretty sure some famous English guy once said something to the effect of: "If you want to eat well in England, you have to have breakfast three times a day."

IMO an English Breakfast is basically the only thing that's really delicious there, although I can live without the kippers and baked beans that come with it.

As to this "brown sauce": If I'm going to eat something, I need to know more about it than just the color... [biggrin]

The basic concept is sound

I was under the impression that most

People nowadays knew that red sauce was better

Than brown in this context

I often also bring fried sliced mushrooms

Into the equation (with or without sauce).

This, I venture to suggest, is Haute Cuisine.

Footnote:

Always use white bread....not that namby pamby wholegrain 'healthy' stuff.

LOL, that pretty much says it all! Has anyone ever heard of an English restaurant?! Chinese, Italian, Mexican, French, etc., but fine English cuisine? Never.

I'm pretty sure some famous English guy once said something to the effect of: "If you want to eat well in England, you have to have breakfast three times a day."

IMO an English Breakfast is basically the only thing that's really delicious there, although I can live without the kippers and baked beans that come with it.

As to this "brown sauce": If I'm going to eat something, I need to know more about it than just the color... [biggrin]

I feel moved to support English cuisine...there are many classic dishes mixed in with other World foods on most restaurant menus. Roast beef or lamb, fish prepared in various ways, cakes and desserts too numerous to mention. Curry houses are hugely popular...a British invention really taking off with Indian immigration in the mid 20th century.

This shows that we speak the same language but we're not the same.

My father's a Geordie and I grew up on rabbit stew, pigs trotters etc. Never did me any harm.

I've just eaten sausage and egg with brown sauce.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

I've tried peanut butter etc. Too sweet. Yuk.

What about Cornish pasties? Our wonderful pies?

I will agree that the standards have gone down though.

When you Come here you should get someones granny to cook for you. That'd be an eye opener.

LOL, no offense intended, guys! People like, what people like. If one enjoys what one eats, that's all that's important IMO.

I realize that English and Americans have different preferences regarding food. I had actually quoted Somerset Maugham in my previous post, because I wanted to give an English perspective on this topic...

[biggrin]

I dare you to look at that pic and not have your mouth water. Brown Sauce!!!!

We could send some over. Is it allowed? Are there any restrictions on sending food through the post?

I'd be happy to send some.

Get you Americans onto the brown stuff.

LOL, no offense intended, guys! People like, what people like. If one enjoys what one eats, that's all that's important IMO.

I realize that English and Americans have different preferences regarding food. I had actually quoted Somerset Maugham in my previous post, because I wanted to give an English perspective on this topic...

[biggrin]

Somerset Maugham was a great and intelligent writer...similar to Noel Coward he used to lampoon 'Britishness' as was the trend for self deprecation in those days.

Little Chef=Dennys. Almost an exact par. I had a Little Chef meal one time that i swear gave me vertigo. It was so eerily

like something you'd eat at a Dennys' but not. Like, sub par food from an alternate universe. Just furthered my opinion that

the dominant culture in this country does indeed come from England.

Lashurst... "What about Cornish pasties..."

... Actually there's a place in Lead, S.D., USA, within 45 minutes drive of my location that still makes pasties. Why? 'Cuz a bunch of Cornish miners brought the habit here as the Homestake gold mine needed their experience and abilities.

So... yeah, depending on the specifics, darned good. But forget "Yorkshire pudding" and such stuff for me. <grin> Forget haggis, too.

Personally I get along with a wide variety of foods. I tease that American "Truck Stop" food has provided my constitution with such internal "bugs" that foreign bugs in my travels have had no chance whatsoever.

m

Shut up, all of you. I am starving and promised my wife I'd wait for her to get home from work before eating dinner. So hungry and 90 minutes to go. I hope she'll want tacos.

At least I have two cans of beer and the Wings / 'Hawks game to keep me occupied.

I think that breakfast photo proved my point rather than the quality of english food! other than the sausage an maybe the ham the rest of that plate would go to the dogs, I mean a raw runny egg, tomato's, mushrooms, pork and beans that's not breakfast food that's just not right.

Now a nice Chorizo sausage and scrambled egg burrito now that's breakfast.

Isn't brown sauce some sort of malt vinegar concoction? Leave it to you Brits to f**k up bacon.

Yes there is a vinegar component to it...like most savoury sauces

But it is more versatile (sic) than that

A melange of herbs and spice

Suitable for sploshing onto most fried fast foods

And for the experimental cooks hereon

Can uplift and add poetry to

Stews, soups, curries...almost anything

That you can shake a stick at....

Well, like I said, I've never tried this "brown sauce", but Worcestershire Sauce is one of my favorites, and I'm pretty sure that comes from England, right? Hmmm...I'm starting to get curious...

Is there one particular company that makes it? Or one brand that's better than the others?

Well, like I said, I've never tried this "brown sauce", but Worcestershire Sauce is one of my favorites, and I'm pretty sure that comes from England, right? Hmmm...I'm starting to get curious...

Is there one particular company that makes it? Or one brand that's better than the others?

My 2nd favourite subject...lol

Worcester Sauce was invented in Worcester, England

A beautiful riverside town

in the mid 1800's by Mr Lea and Mr Perrin

Brown Sauce is a generic term for a more viscous

Medium hot savoury sauce epitomised by the brand

HP....originating from Nottingham, England

Made for a long time in a famous factory in Birmingham, England

Until the owner Heinz rationalised production to the Netherlands

In 2007

The brand HP alludes to Houses of Parliament where it was/is popular

Ketchup is a familiar term in the civilised world