Gibson Brands Forums

anybody tried the v-pick???

rlouie

anyone tried out these picks ??????? I got the acoustic set the other day and tried them out on my new Martin 000-18ge for about an hour trying the different picks they sent me and I really like them, good volume while not strumming as hard and very smooth on the strings, I can't believe it but I really like the tone I'm getting from the thickest pick they sent me, a 2.75mm pick and this from a guy that is used to using no bigger than a .60mm snarling dog brain pick. I can grip the pick as good or better than the snarling dogs.........I'm giving this product a thumbs up folks...............check em out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's their link............... www.v-picks.com............ if you scroll down the page they also have acoustic v-picks that aren't as thick.......................

p.s. I have no affiliation with this company, just passing on some info....

What do you like about them? Looks like they would be hard to hold onto.

The V pick is actually easy to hold on to because the acrylic they are made with sticks to your fingers when it gets warm. Not sticky like a glue sticky, more like super static sticky, without the charge.

I don't like the sound of them with acoustic guitars at all, though I did notice that playing a few students' guitars with them showed some merit. They give you a punch on the bass and treble, but really it is the same sound to my ears as the old school guys who strummed with a quarter.

It is a thick sound, not my cup of tea.

I really like the way they sound, you just have to learn not to strum real hard with them. They do all the work for you. I wasn't sure about them when I first got them but I have been using them with my 000-18GE and man do those picks make that little guitar sing, it just took me awhile to get accustomed to them and at $4.00 a pick they are much cheaper than the Red Bear tortis picks and work as well or better........................it's all I use now, they have recently come out with an Utra Lite pick that is .55mm and .80mm.........................I like them all the way up to a 2.75mm......it's really a trip cause I've been used to using no bigger than a .60mm before I got these...................

Have Mercy - Booteek Picks! They look cool and sound like a nice product but I am sorry and do not mean to be offensive but it is hard to buy that they will make my guitar sound that much different than it does when strummed with the freebies emblazoned with the name of my local Mom & Pop music store. Kinda reminds me of the old PF Flyer commercials - you wear them and you will be able to jump higher and run faster than any kid on the block.

Like the previous poster, I am more interested in your opinion of how easy it is to keep a hold of them since I hate getting those little suckers out of the soundhole.

Have Mercy - Booteek Picks! They look cool and sound like a nice product but I am sorry and do not mean to be offensive but it is hard to buy that they will make my guitar sound that much different than it does when strummed with the freebies emblazoned with the name of my local Mom & Pop music store. Kinda reminds me of the old PF Flyer commercials - you wear them and you will be able to jump higher and run faster than any kid on the block.

Like the previous poster' date=' I am more interested in your opinion of how easy it is to keep a hold of them since I hate getting those little suckers out of the soundhole.

[/quote']

I used to think the same as you then I tried them and WALLA!!!!!! I've found out they DO make my guitar sound better.............and they are made of a polymer substance that when it warms up from your fingers it sticks slightly to your fingers......go to the website and watch their videos...........www.v-picks.com

I've used Fender's 351 Premium Celluloid picks for years and they've always been consistant and sound great.

Sorry' date=' but I just can't see paying $4.00 for a single pick.

No offence but If I want my guitar to sound better...I practice. [/quote']

that's got nothing to do with it when you're talking about a superior pick, you can practice till your fingers bleed but you still won't get the tone that these picks offer, but hey to each his/her own .................

Seems like a valid topic of discussion IMO. Some of my picks sound the same, some sound different. You only have to compare a nylon pick on an acoustic to a celluloid one to hear a difference. You can also get a different sound from the same pick by filing the point with a nail file. That's the first thing I do with a new thumb pick, they come too blunt for my liking.

Cheers,

Les

Although the pick "can" help your tone, I really don't think the quality of the pick can make or break it. I have several of the Red Bear (very expensive) picks and personally can't stand the tone that they produce and don't like other aspects of them either (feel, thickness). And, from most accounts, those picks are supposed to be the best of the best. Just because a pick is advertised as a "superior pick", it doesn't mean the waters have been parted and you will automatically be a better player.

Some of the picks I like the best are very inexpensive. Also, practice does make a difference. With the proper techniques, you can make most any pick perform, IMHO.

That's what I thought' date=' but obviously differnt opinions are not wanted here.[/quote']

good point. i wouldn't jump on someone for suggesting such a thing as this. you never know when info you had previously deemed as unimportant will become useful down the line -maybe, if only to pass the advice on at a later time. i harken back to the "great bridge pin debate of july 08"! i read and digested all that was said in those threads realizing that it was a bit of a 'hair-splitting' affair but still it shows that things become very finite when you have a quality piece of work to begin with. it all becomes a matter of detail and the pick question is definitely in the same ballpark.

when i was but a teen, there was a heavy metal prodigy guy that lived down the street. he would teach anyone any song for 5 bucks. he had the best equipment - marshall, les paul.... he also tried talking eveyone into these $15 picks that were buffed ocean stones that looked like the decorator rocks my mom puts in terrariums. they resembled 'nemo', the clownfish from the disney movie. they made the strings squeak and they left dust all over the pickups and body. he loved them because you could get harmonics anywhere, anytime. i remember him staring at me, wide-eyed (ok, maybe it was the pot...) saying 'it's the tone, maaaaaaan!!' i really didn't get it. but i did try a quarter after that, though and broke alot of strings doing it.

anyway, moral of the story is - detail strikes when you're pretty much satisfied with everything else. give pick guy a break, we've all been in the same boat.

That's what I thought' date=' but obviously differnt opinions are not wanted here.[/quote']

I have no problem with you having an opinion Space Pup, a thousand pardons If I've offended you....................

The first time a read a string on picks I was not convinced.

However, my teacher advised me at my first lesson to use the heaviest pick you can get on with and proceeded to demonstrate the versatility of a humble heavy standard Gibson. I've tried a variety of "off the shelf" picks and quite like the fender heavy.

Now I use a heavy Gibson wedge for acoustic, 12 str, electric, propping up wobbly furniture etc.

Then JT sent me a Red Bear C-Med wedge shape. I was genuinely shocked at the difference. They are very pricey but I'm still experimenting so may get a couple of others.

My point is, whilst I've not tried them I can believe they will be quite different to a standard pick. But, from the You Tube clip and through my crappy Dell speakers, the conventional pick sounded better. IMHO.

rlouie, I have about 200 different picks and am always experimenting with different ones and each one produces a totally different sound. Thanks for turning us on to the new discovery I will definitely check them out. I have been playing professionally for about fourty years, first drums, then bass, and finally now six strings. I've also been principal percussionest for seven years with a major Symphony Orchestra locally. I have two degrees in music, one in performance and one in education. I have played with many, many well known musicians. I am telling you this because I want you to know that experiance brings a better ear and this is what you are getting into. Kudos for bringing this subject up! Keep up the search for the most perfect pick!

Heck I can't stop losing picks now can't imagine what would happen with clear picks...

if Im gonna spend ridiculous money on Picks I like the Broussard wood and Ivory models .. from www.brossardpicks.com

But the worlds best "plectrums" are still GIBSON tri-picks from the 70's I'm down to three and starting to panic.

Hey louie! Nice to see you over here. I always used the Jim Dunlop pick .60 mm I think, but when I got the fender Strat I just sold, I received a bunch of 1mm picks from the original owner. I tried them on the Strat and found them soooo much better on the electric, I had to try them on my acoustics. I now find that I like a "thicker" pick. I may have to give the V pick a try. Unfortunatly they don't sell them anywhere in MN, but I may order a couple and see how they sound.

Thanks for the tip dude!

Bye the way, just so you know who I am, lofapco from the AGF!!!

I'll give them a try' date=' Rlouie. I love trying out new picks. My favs are the cat tongue/snarling dog Brain pics but I'm always open to trying new picks. It's kinda like trying a new air freshener in your Ferrari.[/quote']

Karen I know that you like thinner picks, so if I were you I'd start out with the Acoustic Ultra Lite picks, they have an acoustic package that has 1 x 2.75m m pick and 2 x 1.00mm picks, but their ultra lite picks are .55mm and .80mm

good luck I hope you like them.......

Hey Paul, long time no see:d/

hope you like them Michael and the owners are real nice people, you know the kind that send you extra picks for free if you're a good customer.....and they are great at customer service.....

Louie,

I was trying different guitars the other day with a buddy of mine from Cleveland (one of the best guitarists you'll never hear of!), and we played each others guitars to help us hear what our OWN guitars sounded like (it's the best way to tell what your guitar REALLY sounds like!) Anyway, we went through about 20 different picks and I'd say 5 of them had VERY different sounds! I ordered the V Picks on your recommendation, I'll be comparing them with REAL tortoise shell (have ONE left!), Red Bears, Ivorys from Bob Colosi, Tortex, and a HOST of others - it's kinda fun exploring, and YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A 'BETTER PICK' out there!

Thanks Louie, we working guitarists are ALWAYS looking for good advice, and I for one, appreciate yours!

Archived