Gibson Brands Forums

50s Tribute vs Them all

bluesguitar65

Guitar Center king of blues tracks?

Yeah i love those tracks, very nice video and playing btw im impressed. [laugh]

Hhaha!! Yea, it a GC KOTB backing track. Thanks! I'm trying to get that southern rock feel. The p90 50s tribute and my SG Class with also p90s are my top fav guitars. Just love that p90 tone for some classic southern rock flavor.

I have no other Gibson's to compare them to, but I know I have a VERY hard time putting it down once I start playing it. I own several Agile LP style guitar's and the necks on those are much thinner, so getting used to that '59 neck was something new, not bad, but new.

I have some Tonerider Vintage P90's in one of the Agile's and those sound killer, imo, these Gibson P90's have a much richer and complex tone, or I could be hearing what I want to hear :P

The difference in sound is that the STUDIO is CHAMBERED with the SG CLASSIC is SOLID.

Also if ya really want to get some good tone from any P-90 while working on my 57 and 58 and 59 LP JR's I noticed they used .044MF capacitors to get there sound and warm em up.

Buying OLDER P-90's is the same as buying OLDER PAF'S you get the REAL TONE...the P-90 has been around since the early 40';s prior to that it was the P-13....this is basically the longest running pick up and WHY only GIBSON can get CORRECT TONE from even the SOAP BAR pup, still NO ONE has yet to even come close to the sound of a single coil in a

I have 37 GUITARS and out of that over 20 have P-90 SOAP BARS...that tone can NOT be replicated due to the materials they used back then.

Such as BAKE O LITE which was a plastic material they used for insulation but it was outlawed in the late 50's.

Now my new thing is collecting OLDER pots n P-90 pups and the brown paper wraps...

THAT IS WHERE THE TONE IS there, the wood and in your fingers and how you manipulate the strings.

I see some of you mentioning the KING OF THE BLUES CD the GUITAR CENTER, they are good songs and I got to play guitar on 5 of em.

I was a judge at the store level , then at the semi's then into NEW YORK, last year I went to the finals but this year I was busy having yet another heart problem and could not go without my pacemaker working right.

If ya really want a good P-90 sound you need a SOLID BODY like the SG CLASSIC

Basically the 50's tributes are nothing but the 799.00 Studio's in a different color......the shame is that they are being marketed to where they are comparable with a 56 re-issue....NOT EVEN CLOSE...

I have hot-rodded a few tribute's for customers and a 56 re-issue

They are basically the DOUBLE CUTS they had a few year back in YELLOW, WHITE, BLACK and sold for like the same price......they are think like an SG at it is the thickness of the wood that gives ya your warmth.

BOTTOM LINE for the price they are a nice guitar but in now way are they in the same league as a 56 re-issue , but great for a SLIDE or back up P-90.

The tributes though be aware have a cheaper type of wood, tuner, electronics, nut, bridge,.....They are a great guitar but certainly need a few thing upgraded to make them GIG WORTHY.

Unless you;re playing GARAGE BAND stuff but as a pro guitar you can't take a chance with something that inexpensive when your career is on the line.

Just to let ya know I bought 5 of the TRIBUTES for hot rodding and using for alternate tunings in different songs.

Great ax;s but NOT a 56 and certainly not equal to a 56 re-issue.....but with some patience and work and new parts you can make em sound pretty damn close but I

could live if someone STOLE one but even though I have a RE-issue I also have an ORIGINAL 56 which is used only for special gigs and recording.

Same with my Firebird with 3 P90's, ES-125, 295,330

I would have to put the TRIBUTES in the same place as a the 799.,00 STUDIO:S and SG SPECIAL's and SG CLASSIC:S.

For the same price I think the SG CLASSIC sounds better than these tribute do....there is no chambering done on the SG but the insides on the Les Paul is really chambered and dug out !111

I have an X-ray of what they look like inside.

Good AX JUST CHANGE THE Caps immediately AND TRY A Orange Drop AT .044 mf INSTEAD OF THE .022 THEY COME WITH.GO WITH THE BEST QUALITY

HERE the pic of the x-ray chambered

I'll try to post it...LOOK ABOVE

Swear to Jesus, ever single one of those Gibson guitars sounded nearly identical. This just furthers my opinion that "tone" is mostly in your head. I'm sure 'blues thinks the guitars on this clip all sound uniquely different. The only guitar that stood out was the strat.

I'm thinking mostly because he used the neck pickup.

Yeah, and I don't think anyone, that bought the "Tributes" thinks (seriously), that they will be as good,

or even in the same league, as the R-6...much less an original '54-56! I certainly didn't/don't. But, for

what they are, they're pretty decent..IMHO. I'm enjoying mine, a lot! The chambered body weight, was a

bit of a shock, though...I admit. Epecially for a "Les Paul." But, it's easy enough, to get used to. ;>)

Cheers,

CB

Swear to Jesus, ever single one of those Gibson guitars sounded nearly identical. This just furthers my opinion that "tone" is mostly in your head. I'm sure 'blues thinks the guitars on this clip all sound uniquely different. The only guitar that stood out was the strat.

I'm thinking mostly because he used the neck pickup.

The SG Classic didn't sound brighter than the 50s tribute GT? I thought it did.

....I geuss my point being, its best not to crawl up your own *** too far with the "tone" thing. An electric guitar does have a Makita power tool like purpose. And that primary purpose is to be heard above the drums and piss off the sound guy. Or conversely, to piss off the drummer and be heard through the sound system, although those two rarely happen together!

Wow, some folks take this WAY too seriously. This is a great guitar. I love it, and I'm sorry I can't afford a custom shop or a standard, nor can I justify either as guitar playing is a hobby to me, music is very important in my life. To put these guitars down is nothing short of cork sniffing. I love this guitar. It's one of my favorites, and it's a joy to play. I'm sorry some people don't consider it a 'real' P90 guitar, but I guess my Honda Fit isn't a real car since it's not an Audi E-tron.

Maybe you need to not take yourself so seriously. FFS, for the most part the people here have been very receptive to me, and my lack of arsenal of Gibson's. I have 3 Agile AL series, love them all and they play great. When I posted my Jimmy Page project that was on an Agile AL2500 HSB, and the reception was very, very nice, thank you again.

I wish I could order 5 of these to mod and tweak, but I ordered 1, because I could barely afford 1. Ok. I'm done ranting. There seems to be more good eggs than bad eggs here, but the snobbery when it appears, is double-barreled and loaded with 12 gauge bullshit.

Wow, some folks take this WAY too seriously. This is a great guitar. I love it, and I'm sorry I can't afford a custom shop or a standard, nor can I justify either as guitar playing is a hobby to me, music is very important in my life. To put these guitars down is nothing short of cork sniffing. I love this guitar. It's one of my favorites, and it's a joy to play. I'm sorry some people don't consider it a 'real' P90 guitar, but I guess my Honda Fit isn't a real car since it's not an Audi E-tron.

Maybe you need to not take yourself so seriously. FFS, for the most part the people here have been very receptive to me, and my lack of arsenal of Gibson's. I have 3 Agile AL series, love them all and they play great. When I posted my Jimmy Page project that was on an Agile AL2500 HSB, and the reception was very, very nice, thank you again.

I wish I could order 5 of these to mod and tweak, but I ordered 1, because I could barely afford 1. Ok. I'm done ranting. There seems to be more good eggs than bad eggs here, but the snobbery when it appears, is double-barreled and loaded with 12 gauge bullshit.

Yes, the tribute is a fantastic guitar. Like I said many times, my GT 50s Tribute has been my main guitar I choose to play over the other ones I have, yes even the more expensive ones. The tone of the 50s tribute seems much fuller than the SG Classic with also p90s. I will make another video comparing three of my p90 guitars, the 50s tribute, SG Class and my 1996 Les Paul special.

....I geuss my point being, its best not to crawl up your own *** too far with the "tone" thing. An electric guitar does have a Makita power tool like purpose. And that primary purpose is to be heard above the drums and piss off the sound guy. Or conversely, to piss off the drummer and be heard through the sound system, although those two rarely happen together!

The world would indeed be a poorer place if we all thought the same.

I would argue that the guitar doesn't have a Makita power tool like purpose. Almost the exact opposite, in fact.

Whilst I strongly agree that it's never a good idea to crawl too much up one's own ***, I find sorting out the "tone" thing is as enjoyable as being able to play the right notes at the right time for the right amount of time with the right feel and, if possible, not to piss anyone off whilst doing so. If you are lucky enough not to care much about the quality of tone you achieve it must save you a lot of time not having to fiddle about with those irksome knobs.

Perhaps we simply appreciate different playing styles.

[smile]

I also love my Tribute, and the Studio is in its case still. I guess it all comes down to what I referred before as "value", where the relationship between cost and function is what we percieve as value. In my limited experience, for the cost of these guitars, and the function to me (ease of playing, sound quality, and apperance), my Tribute is really high value by this criteria. It all depends on what each of us consider the function to be, it's all relative, and we´re all right, or wrong....such is life!

Archived