Gibson Brands Forums

Magnatone Amp fans?????

TP

Just wondering if there are any old Magnatone amp fans in the group? I just scored a great one in a Craigslist trade and after a few days of playing it, I wanted to share some photos and get your thoughts.

If anyone is aware of Fretted Americana on youtube, you would see Phil X playing through the "Tonemaster" which is a Magnatone built amp lilke mine with only a couple small differences. His playing vintage guitars through this vintage amp likely has sparked a new interest in them. For that Classic rock and blues crunch, my Americana branded Magnatone is amazing and sounds exactly like the Tonemaster in the videos.

Check out the link for a great demo of Phil playing through his old "Tonemaster" and the newly designed "Tonemonster" Both sound great, but my personaly preference is certainly the warmer sounding Vintage Tonemaster.

I am so damn happy to have scooped up one of these amps. Mine even has the original Oxford speaker with a date code of 1960! [thumbup]

The neatest thing is the true pitch shifting Vibrato on the amp. Magnatone had a patent on this and it is a much nicer almost Leslie sounding Vibrato unlike the Volume shift Tremolo that Fender and other amp makers used.

Since I got mine, I have seen two similar Magnatone amps (with other brand names like mine) sell on Ebay for over $950 plus shipping!!! Prior to that a couple went in the $1400 range!!!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has one or loves these amps...... It is well worth trying to find one if you can.

ThePaulMaggie.jpg

100_1105.jpg

100_1103.jpg

A lot of those old sixties tube amps are tone machines and I would count my Silvertone 1484 in that class. Most of them had Jensen speakers which only adds to the sweetness.

Magnatones - I have had the privilege of seeing more than a few in person. My friend played bass in a sixties style pop band and the singer played an ES335 through a Magnatone 2x12 combo. Very nice. And I played drums behind a guy that ran a 70s walnut SG w/ P90s through that same model Magnatone. The vibrato on those is legendary. If he ever tried to sell it I would buy it in a heart beat.

A lot of those old sixties tube amps are tone machines and I would count my Silvertone 1484 in that class. Most of them had Jensen speakers which only adds to the sweetness.

Magnatones - I have had the privilege of seeing more than a few in person. My friend played bass in a sixties style pop band and the singer played an ES335 through a Magnatone 2x12 combo. Very nice. And I played drums behind a guy that ran a 70s walnut SG w/ P90s through that same model Magnatone. The vibrato on those is legendary. If he ever tried to sell it I would buy it in a heart beat.

My Gibson "The Paul" in the photo above is Walnut but with the original T-Tops and it sounds unbelievable through this amp, much different than my Strat which I am glad to say also sounds great through the Maggie. The vibrato is amazing and makes me wish I played more "Surf" type songs. [thumbup]

My Gibson "The Paul" in the photo above is Walnut but with the original T-Tops and it sounds unbelievable through this amp, much different than my Strat which I am glad to say also sounds great through the Maggie. The vibrato is amazing and makes me wish I played more "Surf" type songs. [thumbup]

Don't have the Magnatone, but I do have a, The Paul, just like your's. Bought it new. Aren't the original 78 & 79',particularly the 79 walnuts like we own, something else! People don't believe them til they actually see a clean polished one and then plug those T-Tops in to play. I prefer the neck and fret board over all my Pauls. Totally unique guitar and sound when properly cared for throughout the years. You see a lot of beat up dried out ones. But, one with a moist finish, rubbed up and in good repair is a rarity. Murphy, has an SG version same no frills as, The Paul. They were made for the gig. One of the best ideas Gibson ever had; all the quality hardware on an inexpensive body platform. Enjoy both your finds. Watch out for the professional country pickers. They are buying up all the, The Pauls they can grab. Ah, simplicity. End rant. [thumbup]

TP:

It just dawned on me I hijacked your Magnatone thread and your good luck both, due to my interest in the fact we both have a, The Paul. I am sorry, man. Selfish of me. [thumbdn]

The prior poster, craigh, mentioned Buddy Holly's use of the Magnatone. I think he used it on "Playing The Game" also. I was around far back enough to remember their regular use. The lead player in the house band at a small club near me (Guys 'n Dolls) used one with Lonnie Mack as his regular guest. I still see the guy, Carl at area events. I'll ask him about his, the model and if he still has it. He used a Strat. Billy Joe Royal, got his singing notice at that club and his Fifth Floor recording sessions with the Driving Winds as the band. "Down In The Boondocks"!

Again sorry for not really speaking to the coolness of your score and your interest in such a fine old amp brand. Your pics prove you pulled one out of the hat. [biggrin]

MAGNATONE'S GREAT AMPS......\

Not exactly a FENDER nor MAIN STREAM but should l have been as good a seller as I was a BUYER??.

I have a small MAGNATONE COMBO a M-10 with 1x12 and about 20 watts.

Then I hit the BIG TIME I went into this MOM and POP joint in BAYONNE NEW JERSEY just before the HOLLAND TUNNELL and went in looking for a deal and they were tripping over crap.

I saw this GIANT head and cabinet and all I could see was MAGNATONE.....it turned out to be a 64 M-5

The head was a 100 watts Solid Oak and weighed every bit of 8-0 lbs JUST FOR THE HEAD

It had two fans that blew on the tubes , tranny etc to keep things cool.

The HALF CAB had TWO 15inch JENSEN:S in it.......

WOW the tone was amazing.....

The tremelo was great , but it had NO REVERB so I bought a FENDER piggy back reverb unit.

The only ones *****ing about that amp after that were the roadies.....they hated loading and unloading it.

Eventually I retired it and it now resides in my studio and you would be surprised on how many guys my age 55 know exactly what it is and BEG to play through it......a 335 through this baby sounds like HEAVEN the BOTTOM end is like a sub woofer and it was crisp , had nice attack....

I was recently offered in trade a 63 VIBROLUX for it but I have a 65 Vibrolux and the only other amp than VINTAGE FENDERS I have are TWO AMPEG'S and then two Gibson's and the two MAGNATONES>.....this is an amp you save till ya die for you know it has the worlds best tone...you just need a roadie like the HULK to load and unload it !!!!

Nice les paul ya got there and amp as well !!!!

ST JAMES

TP:

It just dawned on me I hijacked your Magnatone thread and your good luck both, due to my interest in the fact we both have a, The Paul. I am sorry, man. Selfish of me. [thumbdn]

The prior poster, craigh, mentioned Buddy Holly's use of the Magnatone. I think he used it on "Playing The Game" also. I was around far back enough to remember their regular use. The lead player in the house band at a small club near me (Guys 'n Dolls) used one with Lonnie Mack as his regular guest. I still see the guy, Carl at area events. I'll ask him about his, the model and if he still has it. He used a Strat. Billy Joe Royal, got his singing notice at that club and his Fifth Floor recording sessions with the Driving Winds as the band. "Down In The Boondocks"!

Again sorry for not really speaking to the coolness of your score and your interest in such a fine old amp brand. Your pics prove you pulled one out of the hat. [biggrin]

Not a problem at all! I love hearing about other people who have one of "The Paul" guitars. That also was a Craigslist score but I had to give up a sweet Gibson LG0 in trade. It was built the year I graduated High School (1979) and I can remember drooling over any and every Gibson I saw back then....

As to the Vibrato on the Maggie.... It really is something else. In actually adds some element of both Chorus and reverb when I play it in my music room. I don't know how, but it really makes me smile when I play either The Paul or my CIJ Strat through it.

I had heard about Buddy Holly and his connection to Magnatone. Also Lonnie Mack used one very similar to mine and I also believe Buddy Guy was a Magnatone fan. If you go through the whole 3 part series from Fretted Americana with Phil X demo'ing the old Magnatone against the newly created ToneMonster, (I guess they changed the name to Evil Robot or something now due to Fender lawyers complaints that Fender owns the Tonemaster name and Tonemonster was too close.) Phil mentions a couple times about Eddie VanHalen playing though his Magnatone Tonemaster and saying.. "yeah, love those Tonemonster amps... I got 100 of them stored in a Garage" lol.... It could be that Eddie was talking about Fender ones but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Maggies either. They just have that Classic rock tone down! [thumbup]

MAGNATONE'S GREAT AMPS......\

Not exactly a FENDER nor MAIN STREAM but should l have been as good a seller as I was a BUYER??.

I have a small MAGNATONE COMBO a M-10 with 1x12 and about 20 watts.

Then I hit the BIG TIME I went into this MOM and POP joint in BAYONNE NEW JERSEY just before the HOLLAND TUNNELL and went in looking for a deal and they were tripping over crap.

I saw this GIANT head and cabinet and all I could see was MAGNATONE.....it turned out to be a 64 M-5

The head was a 100 watts Solid Oak and weighed every bit of 8-0 lbs JUST FOR THE HEAD

It had two fans that blew on the tubes , tranny etc to keep things cool.

The HALF CAB had TWO 15inch JENSEN:S in it.......

WOW the tone was amazing.....

The tremelo was great , but it had NO REVERB so I bought a FENDER piggy back reverb unit.

The only ones *****ing about that amp after that were the roadies.....they hated loading and unloading it.

Eventually I retired it and it now resides in my studio and you would be surprised on how many guys my age 55 know exactly what it is and BEG to play through it......a 335 through this baby sounds like HEAVEN the BOTTOM end is like a sub woofer and it was crisp , had nice attack....

I was recently offered in trade a 63 VIBROLUX for it but I have a 65 Vibrolux and the only other amp than VINTAGE FENDERS I have are TWO AMPEG'S and then two Gibson's and the two MAGNATONES>.....this is an amp you save till ya die for you know it has the worlds best tone...you just need a roadie like the HULK to load and unload it !!!!

Nice les paul ya got there and amp as well !!!!

ST JAMES

Awesome story!!! And thanks for the compliment! [cool]

Archived