Gibson Brands Forums

Had Lennon Lived...

charlie brown

Rumor had it that Lennon was invited to participate in the Bengladesh benefit concerts in NYC. That would have been 3 of 4. The buddy of ours that "volunteered" to sleep outside Madison Sq. Garden to get tickets brought that info home with him (along with a few other "waiting on line rumors").

However...

From Wiki..

"Harrison first asked his fellow Beatles to appear. John Lennon agreed to take part in the concert, however Harrison stipulated that Lennon's wife Yoko Ono not perform with him. Lennon agreed, but left New York two days before the event following an argument with Ono regarding his and Harrison's agreement that she not participate."

Who knows. :-k . David Gilmour said he'd show up for some, or 1, of Water's shows. The whole of Pink FLoyd did reunite for Live8. And they were suing each other..

While fans will always want more of the music they loved we might have been disappointed with the results of a reunion. The music that was so great was the result of a moment in time, the individuals they were when they made it and the relationships they had with one another and every other person and thing in their lives at that time. I believe the world received the Beatle music it was to have. No more, no less. I am thankful for that. B)

Is Paul McCartney any less famous? Is Ringo? I don't think it's possible that the likes of Lennon, Elvis, Hendrix would be any less famous had they lived. You cannot make a contribution of the magnitude they did and slip into obscurity. B)

Is Paul McCartney any less famous? Is Ringo? I don't think it's possible that the likes of Lennon, Elvis, Hendrix would be any less famous had they lived. You cannot make a contribution of the magnitude they did and slip into obscurity. B)

they are the way they are BECAUSE lennon died, don't you get it? one thing happens and changes the next...if he wasn't shot dead then we wouldn't be having this internet discussion about him and the rest of them? and after you read this your life is gonna move into a different direction as opposed to if you didn't read this?...think about it.

woohhh i'm getting deep [scared]

they are the way they are BECAUSE lennon died, don't you get it? one thing happens and changes the next...if he wasn't shot dead then we wouldn't be having this internet discussion about him and the rest of them? and after you read this your life is gonna move into a different direction as opposed to if you didn't read this?...think about it.

That's very zen there steve. B)

Certainly he would have gotten together with his brothers for the anthology event. Now whether they would have written new material is all speculation. Clearly Yoko was for the anthology as she gave the surviving Beatles the demos for the new songs they worked on.

Jack Douglas producer of Double fantasy was positive John and Paul were gonna be doing something but then John was killed. He has stated as such in numerous interviews.

They were too talented to not make something great if all involved were for it.

As George Martin told a co worker once " If 2 of them are in the studio it's pretty good. If 3 show up it's great but when all 4 are there it's magic

Certainly he would have gotten together with his brothers for the anthology event. Now whether they would have written new material is all speculation. Clearly Yoko was for the anthology as she gave the surviving Beatles the demos for the new songs they worked on.

Jack Douglas producer of Double fantasy was positive John and Paul were gonna be doing something but then John was killed. He has stated as such in numerous interviews.

They were too talented to not make something great if all involved were for it.

As George Martin told a co worker once " If 2 of them are in the studio it's pretty good. If 3 show up it's great but when all 4 are there it's magic

Well, I think with their levels of maturity, all the "bad stuff" behind them,

and thier basic love of one another, and the music they made together, they

WOULD have done more, together, eventually. And, who's to say, it wouldn't have

been as good, or even better, than the previous offerings?

Sadly, we'll never know. ;>(

CB

Hullo everyone.This is my first post(mainly to see if my avatar works).

The Lennon/McCartney songwriting partnership had pretty much dissolved way before The Beatles split up.Things had to change and they did.They all enjoyed lengthy post-Beatles success,not matching their earlier work IMO(Lennon now and again),and developed naturally into solo artists.The gang mentality of young men leaves most of us as we get into our thirties.

Cheers anyhow.

Yeah, and as all the old wounds healed, and given

John's enthusiam, upon getting back into music

(just prior to his murder), I (somehow) really feel

like they might have done some (maybe even a lot) more

music, together...at some point. Might just be "wishful"

fantasy, on my part, but it's a nice thought, anyway.

CB

I just got finished reading You Never Give Me Your Money (The Beatles after the breakup).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0061774464/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

I think its terrific. Most books on the Fabs ends after the breakup but this one is just getting started at that point.

Cool to read about when they got together for meetings, who was suing who, how many lawyers got rich trying to dissolve/ resolve and generally pick the carcass clean.

Interesting that George and John had to end up suing Kline in the end. Great read.msp_thumbup.gif

Patty Boyd who was married to Harrison and later to Eric Clapton wrote in her autobiography Wonderful Tonight, that there almost was a reunion at Clapton's Hurtwood estate when she and Eric hosted a party to celebrate their wedding. They were married March 27, 1979 in Tucson Ariz. while Eric was on tour, on May 19, 1979 they threw a large party at their home for about 200 of their closest friends. Eric had a stage built outside for he and his friends to rock out, guest included Paul, George and Ringo as well as Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Mick Jagger, some members of The Who, Lonnie Donegan, Denny Lane, Jimmy Page and others played until sunrise the next day, Lennon had been invited but for some reason failed to show up, but I would have loved to have been there, wouldn't you?

I read her bio after reading the bio's of Clapton, Harrison and McCartney just to see if the three would support each others version of what went on...it did...according to all four bios this was the closest the Fab Four came to a reunion, the three who were there did play together and had a great time. There were many wounds that needed to heal. I believe that if John had survived they would have worked on recordings much the way they had after they stopped touring, I can't say they would ever play on stage together again.

http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles/english/sologigs3.html

I saw an interview with Lennon walking on a beach shortly before his death where he said he had gotten over a lot of his anger and actually could see the Beatles reuniting for at least some project. Too bad it didn't happen.

I agree Jeff, but with many of the older super groups like them and Zep the attitudes are way to big and most cant stand each other (Page/Plant)

Sorry to get off topic, but they weren't Super Groups. A "Super Group" is a Band made up of musicians that are already popular. No one had heard of any of the Beatles before the Beatles, and Page was the only popular guy in Zep when they formed.

Cream was the First "Super Group" in Rock and Roll. There were an Abundance of Super Groups in the Swing Era, but I don't think they called them that back then.

All interesting comments [thumbup]

But IMO, the Beatles were done as a group.... Those poor guys were shoulder to shoulder from 1960 to 1967, and put up with each other from 1967-1970.

IMO, I think there would have been way too much red tape to get those four chaps back together in 80's if JL had not been murdered.

[angry] I think Mark Chapman was aiming for Yoko and missed....several times. A$$h0l3

I'm sure Yoko would exploit the hell out of him....succubus

I guess I'll never understand the hatred people express toward Yoko, especially those who claim to be Lennon fans. John loved her. He chose to spend the rest of his life with her. That's good enough for me. B)

I guess I'll never understand the hatred people express toward Yoko, especially those who claim to be Lennon fans. John loved her. He chose to spend the rest of his life with her. That's good enough for me. B)

As one guy who was involved in the situation once said;

Let It Be

Archived