Gibson Brands Forums

if i was to get my gibson studio faded refinished?

hotshot9991

If I was to get it refinished would it mess the value of it up badly and if it will how badly lol.Lastly this thing is horrible looking. I mean bad, not a worn look I mean the paint job is really looking bad now partly because of no clear coat protecting it. But also if I get it refinished the guy who's doing it has done paint jobs on thousands of guitars so no worries on that either.

It's a Studio Faded - it'll NEVER be worth any money to speak of.

I say go for it, make it what you want.

Cannot possibly hurt the value.

Nice job on the finish might reveal a jewel in the rough.

Won't sound any different, and the finish YOU chose might make you fall in love all over again.

And NOBODY will have a LP like yours.

lol that is true i called a guy at guitar center he told me of this guy then he said it would loose all value and the thing is i have a fender and a Gibson studio lol i just done wanna do anything to it i would have regretted but here comes the which paint job though lol

I like an amber/copper translucent stain over natural Mahogany.

If the Maple top has a decent uniform grain figuring, I say strip it and spray it thin.

Tint it and clear it, done.

If the top is iffy, then shoot the back like I mentioned, and put a color coat on the top.

I dunno.

Gold?

I always liked white.

Sky's the limit.

Surf Ebay, look at all the different ones there for ideas.

Gonna cost you a few hundred though, eh?

Isn't the top mahogany? If so, you have to keep that in mind. A finish like a burst will come out different than on a normal LP and probably not in a good way.

I'd go with something opaque unless you have some really nice grain. I'm thinking an unusual color that you rarely see on a LP like Pehlam Blue or even a yellow or something.

Isn't the top mahogany? If so, you have to keep that in mind. A finish like a burst will come out different than on a normal LP and probably not in a good way.

I'd go with something opaque unless you have some really nice grain. I'm thinking an unusual color that you rarely see on a LP like Pehlam Blue or even a yellow or something.

Pelham Blue [razz][wub]

This! DO IT! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

ok Ive made my mind up im gonna get it refinished like the picture below that desert burst right, not tobacco, but im gonna have the binding cut into it to. and its gonna look awesome lol i'm also getting a new Marshall soon ive never been so happy in my life before lol.

ok Ive made my mind up im gonna get it refinished like the picture below that desert burst right, not tobacco, but im gonna have the binding cut into it to. and its gonna look awesome lol i'm also getting a new Marshall soon ive never been so happy in my life before lol.

i meant to also say the burst in the middle is gonna be more of a yellowish color thats kind alike an orange in that picture, he also said he gonna be able to cover up a lot of the grain but not all make it look like a plain top kind of deal. and ive seen some of his past pics of a faded he transformed it looks nice, you couldn't tell the difference between a standard and the transformed faded.

Wow, yall talk about Studio's like they have AID's and are the scurvy of the guitar world.

Yea I don't get that at all. I think studio's are GREAT guitars personally. I've been gassing pretty hard lately for an Alpine White [wub]

TMAN's photos show a LP with a maple top followed by a swamp ash LP, and the faded studio does have a mahogany top. Good advice from the others. I bought one for my collection, not for the value. Perhaps I'll put an 8 ball in mine to increase it's value.[scared] :unsure:

Archived