Gibson Brands Forums

What the hell happened to Gibson?

shaved_ape

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, could it be a generational thing duane V ?? Heck, In 30 years I've played in more bands than I can remember, and I fired many of them, and was fired myself every so often, and NEVER once did I cry, whine, or ***** and moan...And whenever a guitar let me down, I sold it, gave it away, smashed it on stage, or took it to the firing range to teach it some proper manners.....The only whine I like is well aged and comes in a bottle with a cork..

You cork sniffer you [biggrin] ..LOL!!! j/p

Honestly, I think it's just a chat forum thing... Also more players are buying guitars on-line, and you don't get to play the instrument before purchasing... IMO that's a bit scary, especially with instruments that cost over $1000....

I can understand the frustration waiting weeks for your instrument to be delivered, only to find a pickup might not work, or due to the instrument being exposed to dramatic temperature changes, the intonation has gone completly south and causing other issues to the fretboard like frets coming unseated... And worse case scenario, the carrier just threw your instrument in the delivery truck and killed it [scared]

The guitar and music buying experience has really changed since the arrival of the internet.

Honestly, I think it's just a chat forum thing... Also more players are buying guitars on-line, and you don't get to play the instrument before purchasing... IMO that's a bit scary, especially with instruments that cost over $1000....

I can understand the frustration waiting weeks for your instrument to be delivered, only to find a pickup might not work, or due to the instrument being exposed to dramatic temperature changes, the intonation has gone completly south and causing other issues to the fretboard like frets coming unseated... And worse case scenario, the carrier just threw your instrument in the delivery truck and killed it [scared]

Fnck all that! I gotta test drive it.

Fnck all that! I gotta test drive it.

I hear ya...

However I've purchased two Gibbys online... My 2008 Satin Cherry LPJ from Amazon. I received an $800 Amazon gift certificate from Ford when I purchased my wife's 2009 Ford Edge for Christmas... Talk about pretzel logic... I had to spend $28k to get a cough cough choke free Gibby... The things we do [biggrin]

And I purchased my 2009 Joan Jett MM from SweetWater.

In both cases it worked out great

I hear ya...

However I've purchased two Gibbys online... My 2008 Satin Cherry LPJ from Amazon. I received an $800 Amazon gift certificate from Ford when I purchased my wife's 2009 Ford Edge for Christmas... Talk about pretzel logic... I had to spend $28k to get a cough cough choke free Gibby... The things we do [biggrin]

And I purchased my 2009 Joan Jett MM from SweetWater.

In both cases it worked out great

Free is different but the whole send a guitar via mail makes me more nervous "than a non-legacy applying to Yale" (FG reference). I ordered my Ibanez RG7 and Fender mandolin via MF. They both arrived completely unharmed but it still scares me. I do realize they get shipped to stores but if one breaks or is damaged in transit, that's the stores problem. Let them deal with that headache. I'll pay a little more to avoid that potential problem.

I am 30 and grew up dying to own a Gibson...

As someone who grew up in the eighties I will give you two words of advice (even though you didn't ask for it)

1. The eighties are dead and gone. Terrible decade. Stop trying to revive it. Glam was great when Bowie and Bolan did it. New York Dolls did it right too, but that is stretching the trend too far. Give up the fruity colored guitars, please.

2. Buy used. I know the used market has been insanely inflated by dentists and lawyers looking for that vintage Les Paul to hang on their office wall, but my coworker just picked up a '73 Les Paul with a Bigsby and mini humbuckers for around $1500. Outside of my SG I cannot remember the last time I played a guitar and fell in love on the spot. That neck felt tailor made for my hands. My point is that if you want one of those discontinued Gibson models buy used.

Why isn't this on Henry's forum? It meets all of the following criteria:

Fred

I would bet HenryJ would probably dig it here on this side of the forum pond. Certainly we wouldn't always agree with him, but I know we wouldn't always slam him to the ground, like I see too often on the Henry Forum.

I don't know this first hand, but I'll bet the farm that Gibson conducts some form of market research to see what people are buying in what color, style, and model. They likely use this information when deciding how many of what model to produce in what color.

Gibson's fan base tends to lean toward the traditional style guitars, which means sunburst, goldtop, and black finishes. You are high on crack if you think that Gibson will profit from producing Les Pauls in 3 different shades of solid red and two shades of green. My dad bought his first Gibson in the 1960s, and if he were in the market for a new Les Paul, he would buy a sunburst. If I were in the market, I would most likely seek out a goldtop. I have heard a lot of interesting marketing ideas on this forum, but 3 solid shades of red? Really?

You have no entitlement to get what you want because you have wanted a Gibson since you were a kid. I wanted a Gibson Les Paul since I was a kid, too. So guess what I did.....I saved some money, found one that I liked, and bought it. No one has a gun to your head saying that you must buy a Gibson. If you don't like what the company has become, don't buy one. You can buy a Mexican made Stratocaster that looks just like SRV's for $500 new.

And believe me, you are not the first person to come on the forum and complain about prices. But hey, guess what? That's what they cost. If you really want one, cut out the morning trip to Starbuck's, throw your change in a jar, and in a year, you will have enough money for one. I would bet that 90% of the people that come on the forums to whine about high prices still would not buy a Gibson if they knocked $500 of of the Standard, and $850 off the Custom. On ebay, used Standards often go for less than $1,500. If you cant save $1,500 in a year for something that you want, than overpriced guitars should be the least of your worries. GROW UP!

Candy apple blue might actually be worse that the red it;s hard to tell since I was born as a man they all suck.

HA! Frigging funny stuff. [biggrin]

I maybe think people are (overly) critical because of how expensive Gibsons are compared to other guitars. -Probably that, and the long-standing reputation Gibsons have for being some of the finest guitars made.

You usually get what you pay for...and for top-quality made in the US guitars with GREAT tone? Gibson prices usually seem right in line to me...ESPECIALLY when compared to other builders. They have a HUGE selection that covers a HUGE price range. Want cheaper import prices?...buy Epiphones.

Rickenbacker 330FG Electric Guitar $1,899.99

EVH Wolfgang Electric Guitar: $2,999.99

Taylor T5 Standard Guitar with Maple Top $2,399.00 - $2,499.99

Taylor T3 Electric Guitar with Stoptail $2,249.00 - $2,399.00

Gretsch Guitars G6122-1959 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman $2,749.99

Gretsch Guitars Professional Collection G6128T Power Jet Electric Guitar $1,974.99

PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 Nickel Hardware Electric Guitar $2,808.00

Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 25th Anniversary $2995.00

Paul Reed Smith Limited Edition Custom 22 Soapbar $3195.00

Gibson Les Paul Supreme $3409

Gibson Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar: $2,499.00

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus Electric Guitar $2,299.00

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro Electric Guitar $1,899.99

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar $799.00 - $1,319.00

Gibson Custom ES-339 Fat Neck Semi Hollow Electric Guitar $1,999.00

Gibson Custom ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar $2,249.00

Gibson Faded Flying V: $949.00

Gibson SG 61 Reissue Electric Guitar: $1,999.00

Gibson SG Standard Electric Guitar : $1,199.99

Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar: $699.99

Fender American Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar $999.99 - $1,149.99

Fender American Vintage 57 Stratocaster Electric Guitar $1,599.99

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash Electric Guitar $1,649.99

G&L Comanche Electric Guitar $2,212.50

G&L ASAT Electric Bass Guitar $1,499.99

And these are over-priced on-line listings...one can do much better, especially on Gibsons. Are you paying for the name and rep?..sure, but I don't think Gibson corners the market on THAT.

Fender? OK - great guitars at cheaper prices...but those are cheaper guitars BY DESIGN!!! Gibson, Gretsch, PRS, etc are all more expensive to build.

No offense, Shaved, but those models and colors that you've suggested are really eccentric. I really don't think there'd be much demand for any of them. You have unusual tastes in models and colors, and you can't expect them to make wierd models and colors just for a few customers.

What he said...

In the mean time, guitars like these, are frigging awesome!!!

green2a.jpg

blueburst137.jpg

ebonys.jpg

359blue.jpg

vsb335.jpg

lp1f.jpg

DSC04414.jpg

I am 30 and grew up dying to own a Gibson. ... whining on and on ad infinitum

That's all too much.

There's not guitar company out there that's gonna build/paint on somebody's whim. If you want a special color, shape or setup - pony up for custom order.

Fred

I would bet HenryJ would probably dig it here on this side of the forum pond. Certainly we wouldn't always agree with him, but I know we wouldn't always slam him to the ground, like I see too often on the Henry Forum.

Yeah it was a joke. But this is what the posts are all over there.

Damn I woke up to 30+ replies.

So I am a whiny bi***, that's fine with me, I enjoy being able to walk into a guitar store to try my stuff out. But all that is in stores Gibson wise is crap, that's why I wrote this.

I am content playing other guitars, but it's been 10 years since I have walked in and enjoyed a good sounding/looking Gibson.

I am NOT trying to revive the 80's, just some cool colors and I don't expect them to rehash old models just for me.

But how can there not be cool colors other than the ones they have been using nonstop for 20 years.

HA! Frigging funny stuff. [biggrin]

You usually get what you pay for...and for top-quality made in the US guitars with GREAT tone? Gibson prices usually seem right in line to me...ESPECIALLY when compared to other builders. They have a HUGE slection that covers a HUGE price range. Want cheaper asian prices?...buy Epiphones.

Rickenbacker 330FG Electric Guitar $1,899.99

EVH Wolfgang Electric Guitar: $2,999.99

Taylor T5 Standard Guitar with Maple Top $2,399.00 - $2,499.99

Taylor T3 Electric Guitar with Stoptail $2,249.00 - $2,399.00

Gretsch Guitars G6122-1959 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman $2,749.99

Gretsch Guitars Professional Collection G6128T Power Jet Electric Guitar $1,974.99

PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 Nickel Hardware Electric Guitar $2,808.00

Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 25th Anniversary $2995.00

Paul Reed Smith Limited Edition Custom 22 Soapbar $3195.00

Gibson Les Paul Supreme $3409

Gibson Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar: $2,499.00

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus Electric Guitar $2,299.00

Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro Electric Guitar $1,899.99

Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar $799.00 - $1,319.00

Gibson Custom ES-339 Fat Neck Semi Hollow Electric Guitar $1,999.00

Gibson Custom ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar $2,249.00

Gibson Faded Flying V: $949.00

Gibson SG 61 Reissue Electric Guitar: $1,999.00

Gibson SG Standard Electric Guitar : $1,199.99

Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar: $699.99

Fender American Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar $999.99 - $1,149.99

Fender American Vintage 57 Stratocaster Electric Guitar $1,599.99

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash Electric Guitar $1,649.99

G&L Comanche Electric Guitar $2,212.50

G&L ASAT Electric Bass Guitar $1,499.99

And these are over-priced on-line listings...one can do much better, especially on Gibsons.

Fender? OK great guitars at cheaper prices...but those are cheaper guitars BY DESIGN!!!

What he said...

Guitars like this, are frigging awesome!!!

green2a.jpg

blueburst137.jpg

ebonys.jpg

vsb335.jpg

lp1f.jpg

DSC04414.jpg

Oh Boy jmg257 !!!!!!! I'm downloading that guitar list, checking it twice, gonna tell Santa I've been a bit naughty; and nice, gonna tell him this my list, and starting December 23rd I'm gonna sit in front of my fireplace with lots of cookies, and wait, and wait, and wait, cause Santa Clause is coming to town !!!!!!! And I'll accept any minor flaws in them.......I'm gonna tell Santa that MOST of you have been good all year too, and maybe, just maybe...............

Oh Boy jmg257 !!!!!!! I'm downloading that guitar list, checking it twice, gonna tell Santa I've been a bit naughty; and nice, gonna tell him this my list,

Sweet!

Which one would you want him to bring you 1st?

I've been thinking more and more about an EVH. I LOVE the Iverness 335, but my primary issue with Gibson is most models I like all have the same 57 classics, so I fear sound too similiar to my LP & 336.

_________ MY RESPONSE ____________

Always interesting to read a post from somebody that has it all figured out and is being made to suffer by Gibson choice's but it's very important to remember that your just one customer and a not very active one from what you have said . I'm 50 years old and currently own 84 guitars most of them top end and custom shop models including 16 Les Pauls 8 of which are reissues.

So let me give my opinion on your recommendations just to see how much we might agree.

first your guitar choices

Guitars.

1. Showcase editions. - Why would Gibson bring back a unpopular superstrat from 89 that was mediocre at best and theres at least seven or eight builders doing this guitar better right now. So NO

For this one I agree with you, but only one of the few they made was a superstrat which was basically a U2 painted silver which I think are ugly guitars because I can't stand Strats anyway.

But these are the ones I am talking about.

34963_4616_1369yp10.jpg

7EtVeOgwCk2UMlc.jpg -They recently did a LP Standard with this and I loved it. So no complaints about this one.

100_1317.JPG ) I am normally not into Gold Tops, another "Old Man color" But this one is sick to me.

bc58_1.jpg

2. Les Paul custom lites. Again why a fairly medicre guitar that actually is a slot that would be filled by the junior a SG or if you wanna bring something back bring Back a L6-S instead. so NO

I just like the lites because they would be more affordable than a LP custom anyway, but YES BRING BACK THE L6-s.

Even though I am not a HUGE bon jovi or Richie Sambora Fan this was apparently his sig prototype and I like this. If they had made a non sig model I would try to go for it.

richie_sambora_gibson288_small.jpg

3. Gibson Victory - Yet another strat clone from gibson other that the H/S/H pickup combination there's nothing special about these guitars so why rip of Fender this is the guitar they build so let them. so sadly NO

A large majority of companies make their scratch off of Fender clones, Schecter, ESP.

This guitar is more of a mix of a strat and a prs if you look at it.

I love Gibsons because of their fret edge binding so to see it on a guitar like this thrills me.

1981-Gibson-Victory-Blue-Big.jpg

4. Gibson XPL doublecut, the ACTUAL CUT OF THE LES PAUL!!! SICK SICK GUITAR With Explorer Headstock or even if you tried a standard Bookend. Well I gotta almost agree on this one the XP doublecut is a cool body and a nice guitar sadly from the 85-89 time frame when Gibson was really unpredictable on the quality of the guitars some were good a few were great and many sucked. still a cool body; but if you want this look then go no farther that the Carvin Carved California double cut, almost this exact guitar in great guitar with top notch finish and amazing build quality - I have one in a KOA top that is truly amazing.

I have no problem with Carvin, but once again , if I am going to spend money on a guitar, I would like to have a Gibson and with the binding.

I'd imagine if they redid this one it would be less than a LP Standard and more than a SG

GetAttachment.jpg

5. Gibson Studio Standard - You'd be surprised how well these would sell if you just started putting you fret edge binding on some low cost les pauls. Nope they have studio's and there selling like hot-cakes right now with people actually arguing about trying to get the 50's tribute studio. No matter what they do though it's still a Studio and the Studios are like Chinese Food sure there cool for a few hours and then you'll be complaining and whining about why you didn't just get a Standard,

This again would just be a standard without the trapezoids or something that would be slightly less than a Standard and I agree, most people that buy them just try to upgrade to a standard later, but I think this would eliminate that buyers remourse.

1986%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Sudio%20Standard%20007%20copy.jpg

6. Les Paul Standards! NOPE they still make the old loved Standard but now it's called a traditional and if the name change really bothers you well yoiur a whack job that needs meds and therapy allot more than another guitar.

The traditional sucks!

7. Les Paul Customs! They come and go theres a lot out there and there nothing overlly special get yourself a nice reissue and you won't be sorry but they were nice so 'll give you a 1/2 of a yes.

SO sorry out of your seven great ideas to turn Gibson around I can't give you even 1 full yes but you got a 1/2 yes and a partial so I;ll go a .68% of a single yes.

So Now lets check out your colors recommendations the same way

The colors, I know most people could care less, but the last time they used a solid blue on a LP (without flames on it) was probably 1989 or so.

Now out of all of those guitars we agree on the XPL, but this is Gibsons thinking. Release 10 new guitars this year because there will be some people who like them and some people that don't.

But those guitars that are for selective people are only getting worse. As in I know they don't sell because they will mostly ALL sit on the shelves for years.

Aside from the Standard and LP Custom RIP...

Every year they release obscure guitars for those who don't want just a standard Gibson. I would say each guitar I listed is one of those cases, but they haven't done anything cool in years.

If you look at their guitars that aren't standard, flying v's, explorers, std's, and sg's, do you really think any of those are timeless or just hang in the now of 2010.

I don't want them to slide the STD guitars over for these, but replace the "tribal" with something better, replace the "Holy Explorere or V" with something that will sell.

Their idea of what will sell to the obscure crowd has completely lost it.

_________ MY RESPONSE ____________

Always interesting to read a post from somebody that has it all figured out and is being made to suffer by Gibson choice's but it's very important to remember that your just one customer and a not very active one from what you have said...

Nope they have studio's and there selling like hot-cakes right now with people actually arguing about trying to get the 50's tribute studio. No matter what they do though it's still a Studio and the Studios are like Chinese Food sure there cool for a few hours and then you'll be complaining and whining about why you didn't just get a Standard...

I agree with most of your counter-points (if not the sarcastic tone) ;) . There's nothing wrong with Gibson - they sell a ton of guitars to a core market, and take all kinds of risks reaching out to groups they don't have yet. At least they're trying.

But your assessment of Studios isn't universally true, either. I bought a Studio eight years ago, and wouldn't trade it now for any Les Paul in your gorgeous and impressive collection. I think it's a perfect value balance-point, and if I were to buy another LP today, it would be a studio. [thumbup]

Trading your Lester for another is like giving away one of your children.

I've seen some (on other forums - not here) say they've had some crappy children.

If you have bad Les Paul (and I've seen a few), you should get rid of it. 'Specially if it's got the burg-jerky.

Myself, I keep the good ones.

I've seen some (on other forums - not here) say they've had some crappy children.

If you have bad Les Paul (and I've seen a few), you should get rid of it. 'Specially if it's got the burg-jerky.

Myself, I keep the good ones.

Of course a burg jerky can dampen the excitement, however some folks adopt them out of pity.

Why do you think this?

Please give a little more detail of why it sucks.

Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one. All of this is simply my opinion and I would never expect anyone to agree with me. Everyone has their own tastes.

I am a big guy, 6'3" 275 and I LOVE Gibsons because of their weight and sustain. I don't mind change, but why stop doing the SOLID body version of the Les Paul and do a chambered body?

I have had some people return LP customs or sell them because they were too heavy to trade for a standard or studio. I have never had a problem with the weight.

I haven't been able to afford or keep a guitar in over 7 or so years because of school and now I am looking again. Preferably new, but now that I am it doesn't seem the options are there like they used to be.

I will probably buy used just because I want a heavy guitar, I played one and they do sound different to me in the way I don't want them to.

This whole computer craze they are going through hasn't really improved it in my opinion compared to the craftsmanship that has held them up over the 50+ years of Les Pauls.

Quality control is what it is, there are some bad ones that slip through the cracks, but once you start depending on computers to do it all for you you have to keep them up, which in turn will raise the price of the guitar, which is what is happening, I just think it takes the charm out of it.

I may like weird colors, but I like the old timey craftsmanship that are put into guitars.

Archived