Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Wood Upgrade? SWDC-EC

ryeram11

Hi,

This is my first post, but I've got a dilemma and could use some advice.

I'm convinced that the Songwriter Deluxe EC Custom in vintage sunburst is the guitar for me.

The guitar normally comes with a 'AA' Sitka Spruce Top and Rosewood sides/back.

I've been quoted the following to place a custom order, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience as to whether or not any of these upgrades will make a difference (in comparison to the increased price):

Upgrades (Canadian Prices):

'AAA' Sitka Spruce Top +$450

Adirondack Top - +$1,100

'AAA' Sitka Top & Highly figured rosewood back/sides - +$1,150

Adirondack Top & Highly figured rosewood back/sides - +$1,800

Lastly, I returned a stock SWDC because of a cosmetic flaw in the pick-guard. I'm hoping that beyond any tonal/aesthetic differences, the fact that it would be a custom order which can't be returned would lead to higher attention to detail in the build?

Thanks for any input!

Welcome.

AA vs AAA Sitka - not much dif IMHO

Sitka vs Adi - There's quite a few Adi fans here. The question is do you find the tonal/sound difference between Sitka and Adi enough to justify $1100? Or is Adi a personal preference you've gotta have? If you haven't already, you should sample some Gibby's with both Sitka and Adi (if you've got any shops within driving distance).

Highly figured Rosewood - No dif sound wise IMO. But the added visual impact might be something you'd like.

As far as the build quality goes - I've haven't seen anyone bringing a complaint here about a custom order, so I wouldn't worry. There have been a few custom order beauties shown off.

Keep us informed on how your ordering process goes - and of course, the delivery. B)

Geez, just writing about this is bringing on a . . .

Pass the GAS-X please.

Most of that stuff is just cosmetic. The difference between AA and AAA is looks, not tone. Same with figured Rosewood. It looks nicer.

There is going to be a difference between Sitka and Adirondack Spruce. There are many whole threads that go one and on about the difference, so I won't try to write a book. Long story short: Adi is stiffer, so you will likely get more volume and projection. Adi can take a lot more rigorous playing without breaking up. However, it takes longer to break in. You won't really hear it at its best for 5 or 10 years.

Also, as far as build quality, there are no guarantees, but from what I understand, the luthiers in the Custom Shop are more experienced.

http://www.petrosguitars.com/woods.htm

http://taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/TopWoods/?tw=aspruce

Hi,

This is my first post, but I've got a dilemma and could use some advice.

I'm convinced that the Songwriter Deluxe EC Custom in vintage sunburst is the guitar for me.

The guitar normally comes with a 'AA' Sitka Spruce Top and Rosewood sides/back.

I've been quoted the following to place a custom order, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience as to whether or not any of these upgrades will make a difference (in comparison to the increased price):

Upgrades (Canadian Prices):

'AAA' Sitka Spruce Top +$450

Adirondack Top - +$1,100

'AAA' Sitka Top & Highly figured rosewood back/sides - +$1,150

Adirondack Top & Highly figured rosewood back/sides - +$1,800

Lastly, I returned a stock SWDC because of a cosmetic flaw in the pick-guard. I'm hoping that beyond any tonal/aesthetic differences, the fact that it would be a custom order which can't be returned would lead to higher attention to detail in the build?

Thanks for any input!

Just so you know.... the Songwriter Custom comes standard with a AAA Sitka Spruce top. Indian Rosewood is pretty much straight grained and doesn't have a lot of figure, if it is properly quarter sawn. Your dealer is probably quoting you prices of hand selected wood. Only you can determine if that is worth the cost.

I can't imagine anyone sending a guitar back for a pick-guard flaw. They are very easy to replace. It would only take your dealer 15 minutes to replace it.

Thanks for the replies folks...much appreciated.

Hogeye, from what I understand, the Songwriter Deluxe Custom comes standard with a 'AA' Sitka top:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Custom/Features.aspx

I'm still trying to sort all this out, but based on my research and the responses on here, I'm going to pass on upgrading the back/sides and the upgrade from 'AA' to 'AAA' Stika. (Given that I'm already way over budget - go figure - doesn't seem these options will add much value, aside from aesthetics)

At this point, I'm only really mulling over the upgrade to an Adi top...

I'll keep you posted on the decision and the result down the road!

Cheers.

I'd strongly suggest that you audition the Sitka versus red spruce. I have guitars with both and don't necessarily prefer the red (Adirondack) spruce. I don't necessarily prefer the Sitka either, but these days, the red spruce comes with a substantial up-charge. So, it warrants a preference. Sitka and red spruces overlap substantially in terms of stiffness and tone velocity. Growing conditions and other factors influence the wood to a considerable degree. Red spruce on average will be stiffer and have higher tone velocity but there will be stiff pieces of Sitka that surpass less stiff pieces of red spruce. If I really wanted a guitar that could take being driven very hard without the tone compressing or getting boxy (say, a guitar that would be strummed forcefully with a flatpick), I'd consider red spruce as more likely to give me that. For the way I play (flatpicking single notes and fingerpicking with bare fingers), my Sitka guitars don't get over-driven. Sitka, on average, may be a bit warmer. If I wanted a brighter sound (which I do on some guitars), I might consider mahogany instead of rosewood (which I have on some guitars) rather than red instead of Sitka. But this is all just my view. Everybody has their own perceptions, opinions, and experiences. Hence, my point to pick up some guitars without knowing the top wood in advance, playing them, see what they sound like, and then determining if the sound you prefer keeps ending up to be the red spruce guitars. When I've done this, I've typically preferred Sitka, but the fact that red spruce may take time to open up may be a factor in that. Personally, I buy for what a guitar sounds like when I buy it, not on the expectation of what it might or might not evolve into.

Not alot of noticeable difference between AA and AAA Sitka. And...higher end Indian Rosewood is a TIGHTER patterned and straighter grained look as far as I know. At least it was for the pieces I selected for the custom dread I'm building myself. The lesser priced cuts were more curvy and "looked" cool but the tight grained was more expensive.

All those options listed are nice but Id pass just for the huge bump in price....for what little you get over a stock version.

I would try the same specs through Fuller's Guitar, and others, see what they can do. The upcharge on those woods you've selected, is NOT what they cost in the real world.....Dealer sets the price on custom orders, so I would try a few dealers and see what happens....good luck...

This is my take on the choices you have described. I would not upgrade to AAA sitka or highly figured rosewood. The first is just cosmetic and the second is as well, but figured wood also tends to be less stable. I would want the woods on my guitars to be as straight and boring as possible :-)

The change from sitka to adirondack might however be something I would consider. I have four acoustics and all of them are adirondack. I just hear a clarity in these guitars which I don't hear as much in sitka. This is just a personal preference, and both woods are great but somewhat different. The way I see it, the thing to worry about here is the fact that this change would make the guitar a custom. You will not be able to try the guitar before purchasing, and also customs tend to be harder to sell should you decide down the line that this guitar is not for you.

Good luck!

Lars

Hogeye, from what I understand, the Songwriter Deluxe Custom comes standard with a 'AA' Sitka top:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Custom/Features.aspx

Hogeye may not be infallible, but he's a better source of information than the Gibson web site. You might want to call Bozeman and check with them.

-- Bob R

Not alot of noticeable difference between AA and AAA Sitka. And...higher end Indian Rosewood is a TIGHTER patterned and straighter grained look as far as I know. At least it was for the pieces I selected for the custom dread I'm building myself. The lesser priced cuts were more curvy and "looked" cool but the tight grained was more expensive.

All those options listed are nice but Id pass just for the huge bump in price....for what little you get over a stock version.

I agree. I think there are 3 variants now from stock which cover alot of bases.

The SWD would look great with gold klusons or equivalent, possibly with green buttons. That's perhaps the only "improvement" I would think about.

Obviously, your suggestions will certainly improve the look of the guitar. You pays your money and takes your choice.

To all,

Thanks again for all the replies. Everyone contributed to helping me make a more informed decision, which I appreciate greatly.

As an update, after spending my entire day on Saturday playing different guitars at different stores, I placed a custom order with Gibson for a SWD Custom EC w/ Adirondack top. To my ear I could hear a difference between Sitka and Adirondack, and my playing style often incorporates hard strumming, to which the Adirondacks I tried seemed more adept at handling.

In the end, I undoubtedly over-paid for the upgrade and I'm rolling the dice (considering I couldn't find a songwriter with an adi top to tryout - hence the custom order)...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that sometime in the next "3-6 months" I'll take receipt of a guitar that compliments my voice and playing style well. Given what I spent, I better be playing this guitar for the next 30+ years!!

I'll update this once the guitar is delivered.

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...

UPDATE - HELP NEEDED!!

After 4 months of waiting, I got the call today that the guitar had arrived for pick-up!!!!!

Get to the store, open it up...looks great...pull it out of the case...problem...it came with a Fishman Auro Pro Pick-up.

I hadn't ordered that, I had ordered the fishman ellipse aura pick-up that comes stock on the normal Songwriter Deluxe Custom.

I wasn't happy with the fact that a hole was cut in the body. The guy at the store told me he would have to speak to the distributor on Monday to see how fast they could expedite another custom order....ahhhhh.

I took the guitar home on the understanding that I would try it out and bring it back tomorrow. The guitar is really nice...just not sure how I feel about the Auro Pro

SO THE QUESTION IS - DOES ANYONE HAVE A FISHMAN AURA PRO pick-up? If so, how do you like it? Is there anyone else like me who shudders at the thought of a hole cut in the side of the guitar? Or am I over-reacting?

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

• 4 months later...

I forgot to finish this thread out...

I kept the guitar and I am very happy I did.

Thanks to all those who helped me out along the way!!

I intend on passing this guitar on to my children (when I have some!)

and it has really injected some major motivation back into my playing.

I'll post some pictures tonight...in the mean time I posted a video using the guitar if anyone's interested:

Thanks again,

David.

Archived