Gibson Brands Forums

Wich AMP should I buy ?

tcharva777

Well, I think that they're all great options, but are you sure you need that much amp? You might come home with it, plug it in, turn it on, and then be disappointed that you can't turn it up higher than 2 o'clock!

Are you gigging, or looking to start gigging?

What's you current amp like?

It looks to me like you're more interested in overdriven tones than in clean tones. Are you looking for a specific type of gain sound?

Are you open to other amp suggestions?

Regardless of your answers, I'd go for the 1959RR if budget weren't an issue, but that's only because it's closest to the sound I'm interested in. Do you already have a cab for your next amp?

Well, I think that they're all great options, but are you sure you need that much amp? You might come home with it, plug it in, turn it on, and then be disappointed that you can't turn it up higher than 2 o'clock!

Are you gigging, or looking to start gigging?

What's you current amp like?

It looks to me like you're more interested in overdriven tones than in clean tones. Are you looking for a specific type of gain sound?

Are you open to other amp suggestions?

Regardless of your answers, I'd go for the 1959RR if budget weren't an issue, but that's only because it's closest to the sound I'm interested in. Do you already have a cab for your next amp?

Hi , thanks for the answer,.

Yeah , im gigging,.. actually im playing with a jcm900 with el34,.. but im having lots of problems with it

and i use two cabinets marshall 1960 A & B.

I like aldrich , wylde , rhoads tones..

Do you have another suggestion ?

Thanks !

Is that you, Fred? [razz]

NO, in all seriousness, I have only tried the Mesa (Triple Rec). I want it. Bad.

[glare] No

[flapper]

But anyways, if you like Blues, I would go with the 800. I like the sounds. To me, Boogies are too high gain. I know, I know, they are very versatile amps, but when I hear Boogie, all I think of is high gain.

All of those amps are great though, just comesdown to personal preference

There are some similar threads if you know how to find them....I suggest looking into Egnater amps. Their Tourmaster head is a monster, is reasonably priced, well built, has many great features, four channels, and allows you to choose the wattage for each channel from 10 watts to 100 watts each. It is built for touring. I have one; I don't use it as I have other smaller amps to use, but the Tourmaster is a monster amp and is well suited for your needs...Just my suggestion, you'll get many others....

I know this isn't really answering your question, and it might be 'cuz I'm a grouchy old man, but you're in a band that's gigging regularly, so... All kidding aside, the older I get, the less turned on I am by big amps I've had, used or seen in use.

If you're miking or running them thru the board anyway, why have 800 pounds of additional stuff? If you're competing with a pa, how much do you "need," or is it time to look at how your band runs its sound?

My first rock band was long ago and with lousy amps in 1962-3. It was all tube stuff; it and the voice-only PA hadda balance with a piano, drums, trumpet and sax in rather small venues.

In late '65 it was all tube stuff including the tube PA that I know everybody nowadays would laugh at. Yeah, it filled a saloon and even a pretty big basketball "arena" with decibels, but getting a balance and recording-like sound was exceptionally difficult. In fact, impossible. One night we dragged in a reel to reel tape and recorded from the back of a 2,500 sq foot or so room and ... talk about a sound abomination... it wasn't even close to what we thought we sounded like - or what it did seem to sound like if you were 30 feet in front of the stage.

But... everybody was looking to upgrade their own personal equipment rather than the band's sound as a whole. One guy owned the PA and... even he seemed far more concerned about his own guitars and amps than the pa that made the band sound like a band - or not.

That was then.

The past cupla years I've watched different batches of pros set up for a cupla major "name" concerts. Relatively small amps and a big, big board; speakers running literally up streets or mountainsides or big park trees and it was very loud but always so you could hear individual guitar notes and vocal over the accompaniment. It even sounded like they wanted it to sound like. I'm thinking more and more that's the way to go. I know "we" woulda sold at least half of our souls collectively for that quality of sound back in my regular gigging rock and country days.

Even in a middle-size environment such as a Texas-size saloon or dance hall, I used to think big amps and just a big vocal PA were the answer. That was 30 some years ago. Now even there I figure spending on a big multiple speaker PA setup makes better sense than huge amps where you destroy ears close to the stage and hear nothing but a loud buzz in the back of the room. On a smaller scale I'm concluding about the same for a small room. Why have a cupla guitar and bass amps and PA battling with volume and mix issues versus a PA system that almost certainly can be more intelligently set up?

I guess it makes more sense to me to have 100 db everywhere it's wanted and less where it ain't than to have 150 db in front of the stage and then 50 db of mush elsewhere in the venue and no choices.

Granted, nowadays I'm doing more low-volume type stuff for more low-volume type folks; it's a while since I did the wild and loud sorta gig - but I ain't dead yet. For rock I'd rather have everybody feel the heat than burn their ears or offer them semi-musical mush.

My criteria nowadays, I think, is "what would this sound like if we did a live album?" If the band yields mush anywhere in a room, it ain't good IMHO.

m

Hi , thanks for the answer,.

Yeah , im gigging,.. actually im playing with a jcm900 with el34,.. but im having lots of problems with it

and i use two cabinets marshall 1960 A & B.

I like aldrich , wylde , rhoads tones..

Do you have another suggestion ?

Thanks !

Well, you are already using Marshall, EL34's and the artists you mentioned have a Marshall/British amp based tone.....so that rules out the Dual Rec. Before I switched to my Mark IV I used JCM800 2203 heads religiously and I still love their tone today. The 800 would be your easiest choice compared to the price and rarity of the 1959RR (which is awesome too). That's my logical opinion - I hope it helps.

Archived