Gibson Brands Forums

Strange Warning

Californiaman

Great advice, I go one step further I have Outlook set up to send and receive only text styled messages so not active anything on my emails.

My "friends, family, and business associates" are usually the worst offenders in that they pay no attention whatsoever to this kind of thing.

I never configure anything to open messages automatically.

I got this "alert" couple of days ago.

"TRUE ACCORDING TO SNOPES.COM

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message with an attachment called: Black in the White House, regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer. This virus comes from a known person who you have in your list.

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts. It is better to receive this e-mail 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a message called Black in the White House even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately. It is the worst virus announced by CNN. This new virus has been discovered recently it has been classified by Microsoft as the virus most destructive ever.

This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee. There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the hard disk, where vital information function is stored."

I checked with MacAfooooo and they indeed did NOT have a fix (that was Tuesday).

Snopes claims the "Black in the White House" virus as a hoax:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/whitehouse.asp

The "Osama" one is listed as once true but now outdated, so if you're getting a warning about it in your inbox I would be worried, as that may mean the messages have seen a resurgence lately:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osama.asp

I got this "alert" couple of days ago.

"TRUE ACCORDING TO SNOPES.COM

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message with an attachment called: Black in the White House, regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer. This virus comes from a known person who you have in your list.

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts. It is better to receive this e-mail 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a message called Black in the White House even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately. It is the worst virus announced by CNN. This new virus has been discovered recently it has been classified by Microsoft as the virus most destructive ever.

This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee. There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the hard disk, where vital information function is stored."

I checked with MacAfooooo and they indeed did NOT have a fix (that was Tuesday).

There is NO hard drive wiping virus.

It's been an urban legend for over 15 years.

At least in the Windows environment..... that which is targeted according to all the Mac and Linux gurus. Windows won't allow it while it is operating. The OS has to be shut down in order to gain that level of access to the drive. Call it self preservation, if you will.

In Vista (may it rot in hell) you would be prompted. Remember the old Mac/PC commercials when Vista was first launched....

"Your mouse cursor has moved. Would you like to continue moving your mouse cursor? Permit or Deny".

This was not really in jest....

](*,)

speaking of...was anyone else affected by the "Here you have" virus? It affected my work place pretty bad. it was a link that started w/ "sharepoint....." The body simply said "Here's that link I was telling you about" or something along those lines. Affected NASA, Dominion (my company), Dinsey and a few other high profile companies. Annoying as hell. I didn't open the link so my laptop was fine but I got literally close to 200 of these emails. in like 45 minutes.

Archived