Gibson Brands Forums

Venting - Have we discussed guitar fetishism?

Robin Nahum

I know, "it's what the market wants" and all that, but I don't get Gibson's hi-tech guitars.

I suppose that an argument can be made for auto-tuning that it is more convenient if you use a variety of tunings on stage but I wonder how many people buy them for that reason.

And the new Firebird with the digital interface. It just seems to be about something other than playing guitar - as in strumming, chords, melody lines, soloing and arranging.

Most disturbing of all are those Rock Star games with the dinky copy of an electric guitar that you play into a computer. Why not just buy a guitar and amp and learn to play with um... other people. It's a lot more fun (I would have thought), probably healthier and you might make a buck.

RN

Its for a better tone?

I dont understand what your trying to argue about, the fact that your mad because people buy guitars for different tonal verities?

Why did you make this topic? Everyones going to be on your side and ill be all alone.

Its for a better tone?

I dont understand what your trying to argue about, the fact that your mad because people buy guitars for different tonal verities?

Why did you make this topic? Everyones going to be on your side and ill be all alone.

Actually dem00n, I'm sorta with ya on this one [blink]

1. I could see the Robots being quite useful as a studio guitar, simply because of the alternate tunings and the scenario in which it is being used. If I were performing, I'd prefer 2 guitars. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want to rely on the technology... I've seen too many failures :).

2. I got no idea what the Firebird X is all about. Someone who lives in a shoebox and hasn't got room for a pedalboard?

3. Games are NOT musical instruments, and we need to understand that. Let me help you....

I don't understand why folks don't just go buy a real race car and maybe earn some money.

I don't understand why folks don't go buy real assault weapons and maybe earn some money.

I don't understand why folks don't go buy a real amusement park and maybe make some money.

All are perfectly good analogies to your guitar game statement, as they involve real life items that could be purchased and used as they are in video games to earn money.

It seems pretty obvious when it's rephrased...

:D

I dont understand why people ***** about the Firebird X or any guitar in this matter.

Its not a complete rip off, the MRSP is around 5,000, so it will be around 3 grand. They fit all this tech in a small guitar, so it will cost $$$.

I mean i b**** about EMG's, but thats because they just sound so mediocre, and its really a waste to but in a guitar with good wood. Ive even gotten those who love EMG's to agree with me on that part!

1. I could see the Robots being quite useful as a studio guitar, simply because of the alternate tunings and the scenario in which it is being used. If I were performing, I'd prefer 2 guitars. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want to rely on the technology... I've seen too many failures :).

2. I got no idea what the Firebird X is all about. Someone who lives in a shoebox and hasn't got room for a pedalboard?

3. Games are NOT musical instruments, and we need to understand that. Let me help you....

I don't understand why folks don't just go buy a real race car and maybe earn some money.

I don't understand why folks don't go buy real assault weapons and maybe earn some money.

I don't understand why folks don't go buy a real amusement park and maybe make some money.

All are perfectly good analogies to your guitar game statement, as they involve real life items that could be purchased and used as they are in video games to earn money.

LOL!!! [laugh]

I'm not griping about the Firebird X. I said I don't get it.

It comes with a recording interface... ok.

It comes with built in effects.... ok.

It comes with mondo pickup/coil configs to emulate a bunch of guitars... ok.

It comes with a nifty plug jack... ok.

But who is this marketed to? Dem00n, most companies don't blindly spend cash on R&D and just hope there is a marker out there for it. They had someone in mind when they decided to make them....

I'm just not sure who that would be.[confused]

I AM griping about the colors and the fact that I find the instrument, on the whole, pretty ugly... but beauty IS in the eye of the beholder :D

Its for a better tone?

Dem00n, I'll be on your side this time; mostly because his questions did not make any sense to me. None of his questions were questions. EMGs, whatever. Firebird X, whatever. Hate them both. LP Robot Guitars, good guitars.......Guitar games ?? Is that what he said ?? Whatever....I have more guitars than I can count..On purpose..If they need batteries they sit in a corner unused..If they are ugly I take them out and shoot them to death, literally...Whatever...He who dies with the most guitars wins...I'm on your side this time Dem00n because he's not asking any questions, nor is he picking a fight, nor does his post mean anything ....It is, whatever; at least you make sense dem00n.............Jeeezzzzzzzzz.......you can't spell but you make sense...that counts...Jeezzzzzzz..... EMGs are OMGs: Ceramics are for dishes and body armour. X- Guitars are for, whatever, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Why does anyone care what anyone else is buying, or wants.

If they are making it, there's a market for it...if they stop making it, thay made a mistake. Easy as that. Buy what you like...its not like they stopped making Les Paul's and SG's and Explorer's and V's, and ES-335's etc etc.

Why do people dress up like knights in armor and have fake battles.... Oh wait... I hear you Mr. Chan, I of course agree with you... Games are games, and everyone needs to have things to do for fun or for their spare time.... I love technology and marvel at the things you can do with it...

If Line 6 had released the Firebird X it all be OK.

I think most of Gibson players are not used to this kind of stuff.

My only gripe with Gibson is the amount of money spent on this project versus the number of guitars that will be sold. If the project is not self-sufficient then we are all subsidizing it through other Gibsons.

Hi guys,

Thanks for replies.

Its for a better tone?

I don't have a problem with technology and effects per se. I really enjoy players like Bill Frisell, John McLaughlin or Fred Frith to name a few. But these guys have got their chops down. What I have a problem with is selling excessive technology to people who don't. I don't want it made illegal or anything. It's just that I'm conscious of having wasted a lot of time on unfocussed guitar-related activities and would like to say to people, especially those starting out, "Don't get distracted".

The reason that people don't do the things above is that they are out of reach to most. Musical instruments are generally not - and offer a great source of enjoyment for player and audience. The prospect of making money is the least of a list of reasons for playing a real instrument.

Why does anyone care what anyone else is buying, or wants.

Because it says something about the way we live that might have a broader impact.

Another example is people watching reality TV shows about cooking rather than actually cooking using fresh ingredients. That worries me in that it is about moving away from authentic experience - and has public health implications.

Oh yea, and also there is the new Squier hybrid.

Real Guitar and game controller.

Check out this link, there is a video on the page too.

http://www.fender.com/features/rockband3/

Sigh.

Thanks for responding. [biggrin]

RN

An assault weapon is comparably priced to a guitar.

I've found a fully oufitted dirt track car for $1000.00 ( motorcycles, too, for that matter)

One watches a cooking show to get recipes to use in the kitchen.

Horrible analogy.

I'll help.

The difference is that you don't like technology based guitars or guitar games, so no one else should either.

It's your thread. Vent away.... but I think most of us here recognize what we're seeing.

[rolleyes]

I know, "it's what the market wants" and all that, but I don't get Gibson's hi-tech guitars. ...

Geez.

These types options - auto tuning and onboard electronics - have been around for 50 years. Maybe you should acquaint yourself with whats been going on and then you'll understand. Just about everybody whose a player of note has made modifications to their personal insturments - including onboard electronics and even autotuning.

Only lately have I seen complaints about it, like: it's a crime, it's an abomination, stick with what works, and don't change anything. And not only complaints - a lot of these people viciously trash talk the technology.

Les and Leo began by pushing the envelope and kept tinkering throughout their careers. This latest push shouldn't draw trash talk from anyone who knows the history of the electic guitar in all its variations.

Whether or not you care for it is another story.

I like it.

Gaming is a completely different topic - which, I also like.

If Line 6 had released the Firebird X it all be OK.

I think most of Gibson players are not used to this kind of stuff.

My only gripe with Gibson is the amount of money spent on this project versus the number of guitars that will be sold. If the project is not self-sufficient then we are all subsidizing it through other Gibsons.

Thank you.

[thumbup]

Archived