Gibson Brands Forums

Matched top

LarryUK

Why do I never see a Les Paul with a matched top? I see some beautiful finishes on here. But never a mirror image split top. That would be really nice. Does anyone have one?

A two-piece "matched" top is technically and biologically (arboristically, horticulturally, whatever) IMPOSSIBLE. For that to be possible the tree would have to grow exact parallel and even grain side-to-side (for the width of a Les Paul body), or exact mirror image grain from the centerline to the top and bottom of the length of the body, and throughout enough thickness to make the top cap. Maple trees just do not grow that way.

A two-piece "matched" top is technically and biologically (arboristically, horticulturally, whatever) IMPOSSIBLE. For that to be possible the tree would have to grow exact parallel and even grain side-to-side (for the width of a Les Paul body), or exact mirror image grain from the centerline to the top and bottom of the length of the body, and throughout enough thickness to make the top cap. Maple trees just do not grow that way.

Wouldn't it only have to grow "exact parallel and even grain side-to-side" for half the width of a Les Paul body since it is being book-matched?

isnt that why its called book matched, take a piece of wood resaw on a band saw and you have two book matched pieces. i did alot of it on small table tops. if you look at the tops on most lps if they took a little more time they would line up alot beter...

A two-piece "matched" top is technically and biologically (arboristically, horticulturally, whatever) IMPOSSIBLE. ...

isnt that why its called book matched, take a piece of wood resaw on a band saw and you have two book matched pieces. i did alot of it on small table tops. if you look at the tops on most lps if they took a little more time they would line up alot beter...

It should be possible with bookmatching as Bonfire says. My Gibby J-200 is bookmatch - the half-top blank is resawn and opened like a book, then glued and finished. You can see it as you look from the center below the bridge, the graining on each side is a mirror of the other from the center to the edges. Same thing should be possible with flametops. But then again as L5Larry points out, maybe not. Could have something to do with the figuring changing through the depth of the wood.

08GibsonSJ200front2.jpg

I just realized ....my camera totally SUCKS.....but

my Agile AL-3000 Prestige LP copy has a mighty fine top.......and it's 3/4" Canadian Flame Maple, NOT a 1/8 veneer or photo top

GarysCam115.jpg

Not bad for a $400 guitar !! and it SOUNDS great too....

My old Gibson Plain Top has a nearly matching grain as well...but it's an anniversary model and cost a bit more than a Std.

GarysCam062.jpg

GarysCam063.jpg

The reason that bookmatched flamed tops don't look like they exactly match - even when they are exactly matched - is because one piece is upside down compared to the other piece. So when the grain is convex in one piece, its concave in the other piece right next to it. When the grain in one piece is heading up and to the right, the grain at the same place in the bookmatched piece is going the the opposite way, down and to the left. That's why bookmatched flamed tops look like they aren't lined up when they actually are.

badblue that makes a lot of scene, also i was thinking maybe there was a defect in the wood and they had to shift one piece to compensate for the defect. but still i dont care for the mismatched look. thats why when i get my lp its going to be painted.

I think they do better on some than others, and I think there are variatoins in the width of the flame within the wood.

Like Rocket man, I am also glad they didn't perfectly match this one, as it makes it very unique...

100_0549-1.jpg

I haven't mentioned it before, Chanman but your guitar is a sight for sore eyes. Magnificient.

Dave

The reason that bookmatched flamed tops don't look like they exactly match - even when they are exactly matched - is because one piece is upside down compared to the other piece. ...

That's an explanation that makes sense to me.

Thanks BBplayer. B)

... my Agile AL-3000 Prestige LP copy has a mighty fine top.......and it's 3/4" Canadian Flame Maple, NOT a 1/8 veneer or photo top ...

Damn, that looks about a perfect match under the strings.

And yes, I thought we were talking about caps, not veneers of photos

Archived