Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a quality bass amp

duane v

I'm really not liking the way my Hofner bass sounds plugged in directly to the mixing board. So I'm looking for a nice little bass amp to mic up.

any suggestions???

Thanx

How big you looking to go, brother? If your budget is tight and you just need something for home recording as opposed to a rig that will get the cops called, I recommend just buying a 1x15 cab. Take you lowest gain/highest wattage tube head, run the bass through that, and plug her into the cab. I sat in on bass once for a friend and since I did not have a bass rig I used his American P-Bass, my Sivertone 1484 head, and ran it through a 15" Peavey PA cab. Volume was low enough that we had to mic it, but the tone was warm and rich.

Gallien Krueger makes some nice affordable bass amps.......I use Behringer bass amps..affordable, well made, nice amps..You will want one with a quality line out; enables you to mix both line out and the mike, but you already knew this.............gsgbass will say Marshal; gsgbass is always right on...so. It's your choice because you have smiley-signs105.gif .........

Problem with some GK's are , they don't put big enough cooling fans in them. Overheating is a problem on the lower end models. Marshall do make some nice bass amps as well as Orange do too. I still either say Ampeg or Nemesis :)

Good point on the GKs, and many small amps.......Duane's a good modder, but a bass amp shouldn't need modding..

Our bass player recently got an SWR WM700 head, and Ampeg 4X10 Cabinet.

He loves it! We don't have any trouble hearing him, anymore. [thumbup]

CB

Nice combination.....window rattling combination.......10s ARE better for miking bass, IMHO..........10s would also be a better fit for Duane's Hofner as well.....

What would dem00n use ??????????????

After reading Jocko's comments, especially...

'Stedda buying an amp with a line out, why not a bass-oriented multi-effect jobbie?

Easier to haul. You'll end up my age eventually, and... that's increasingly important. <grin>

Or a small fancy amp without a cab but with a line out???

Nothing, IMHO will replace the differences from various speaker systems - but then, miking through a PA changes stuff anyway since the PA speakers still are doing the talking and the mike variation is added to the PA that's already modifying the sound.

It seems to me as if you mostly want more control over the sound as it comes out of the PA, so my question would be, is a combo amp really the best tool for that?

OTOH, if I were an amp salesman, I'd love to sell you whatever you'd like to buy.

m

I use this one, but...

http://cachepe.zzoun...3b268849101.jpg

A) It's no longer available

B ) While featrure rich for a small amp, and a great amp to learn on, I'm dubious of it's ability to satisfy an experienced player. They DO have other, more robust amps in both the Nemesis and Eden proper lines. Killer forum over there, too.

`

Since you've been going DI, you clearly are not dependant

on your own stage volume for monitoring yourself. So, you

can use a small combo. I'd suggest a GK MB combo ... 12",

no fan ... or the MarkBass 2x6 MiniMark Combo. The small

speakers would be easy to mic in a repeatable manner, and

these are designed to sound good at very low Richters.

I never need to mic my sound, but I know the stage sound

of these combos at modest volume levels, cuz I use them.

If your mic can capture what I hear, then I think you'll be a

very happy camper. I especially like the way these little

combos deliver FL tone, from both hollow and solid, piezo

and magnetic FLs. So, if you wanna be sure your Hofner

sounds Hofner-esque, these are good choices.

Both units allow an additional speaker when you wanna

have more stage volume, and both let you decide whether

or not the internal combo speaker will be on or off when

running an external speaker.

`

Hi Duane; I would say either one of the Marshall MB Series or the Ampeg BA115. They work and sound good. I used the Ampeg Combos, but I got to the point where I went back to the Marshall for the bass sound. The Marshalls have a good selection of Modern or Classic sounds. The 450H has the same settings, plus it has a section to combine the two sounds together, with a dual footswitch. The MB150 15" and MB60 12" both have a ECC83 Pre-amp Valve, and a single footswitch.

mb4210feature.jpg

DemOOn would use a bass equipped with EMG's and a headphone amp..just sayin lol

And his stereo i-pod speakers add that extra THUMP.....

( That is a beautiful bass, a Warwick? )

And, we all love and respect the dem00n.......[thumbup]

Thanks folks!!! [thumbup] ... I now have a map to work with...

Anywhoo, my wife is relocating my music man-hole to a bigger room where it will be exclusive to music [thumbup] ... Which means the drum-set and the full PA system cal always be hooked up [biggrin]

Archived